2021 NFL Draft: Pitts to Falcons at 4, Toney to Giants at 20, Trask to Bucs at 64

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I've loved the game for nearly 30 years, but I'm no football expert, so I can't talk in significant depth about the Xs and Os of all particular plays etc. But having said that, can someone please explain to me how in the world Marco Wilson is expected to be drafted?!

The scouts, the ones in the front office, etc. making the decision are supposed to be the experts, right?

So what the heck are they seeing that I am not?

Nevermind the obvious shoe incident. All I saw all season long was this guy getting burnt on every play. Every ball tossed his way, he gave up play after play. And yes, a lot of them were BIG plays. I've been watching Florida football since the 1991 season and I am still going on record as saying that Marco Wilson is the worst cornerback I have ever seen.

Must be nice to suck so bad at your job and still be about to make millions. #LifeIsNotFair

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
But having said that, can someone please explain to me how in the world Marco Wilson is expected to be drafted?!

The scouts, the ones in the front office, etc. making the decision are supposed to be the experts, right?

So what the heck are they seeing that I am not?

He was horrible last year as was that entire unit. I’m not disputing your take at all, but here’s what I think would make him a mid to later round pick:

1. He wasn’t horrible earlier in his career. He lost most of a season due to injury but was quite good before 2020
2. His measurables are excellent: 4.37 40, 43.5” vertical leap, 136” broad jump (3rd all-time at the position) (C.J. Henderson’s were 4.39 and 37.5” & 127”)
3. His brother Quincy was/is really good.

Scouts look for potential. Past production is part of it, but coaches tend to think about what they could do with a guy who has those stats. He wasn’t “put into a position to be successful” last year and lacked any help/trust in his safeties. He could be a very solid pro.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most people understand what a stain on the underwear of collegw football that Fat Dwag Grantham is and know that he has been Third and Grantham for decades.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Most people understand what a stain on the underwear of collegw football that Fat Dwag Grantham is and know that he has been Third and Grantham for decades.

There is a lot of truth in that. I’ve said before it wouldn’t shock me to see him do ok in the league. At one point, we were so excited to see him and CJ as Sophs because of how good they looked as Freshman. The combination of Grantham, the Covid impact on defenses, and safety play exacerbated the situation. The shoe thing was also his only real act of stupidity that I can recall. It just gets more attention because of how dumb it was, and because there’s a general disdain for that whole evening. Not my favorite Gator, and I would’ve been fine with his being benched. But the secondary problems run way deeper than just him. He may surprise some people.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is a lot of truth in that. I’ve said before it wouldn’t shock me to see him do ok in the league. At one point, we were so excited to see him and CJ as Sophs because of how good they looked as Freshman. The combination of Grantham, the Covid impact on defenses, and safety play exacerbated the situation. The shoe thing was also his only real act of stupidity that I can recall. It just gets more attention because of how dumb it was, and because there’s a general disdain for that whole evening. Not my favorite Gator, and I would’ve been fine with his being benched. But the secondary problems run way deeper than just him. He may surprise some people.

it was a stupid act at the wrong time, like the Dallas Baker retaliation against the Tennessee player. But the athletic ability is there and with the right staff he could end up being a solid player. I root for all former Gators in the league unless they go to two teams...

He was an easy person to blame, and a scape goat similar to the running back fumble against A&M to make excuses for disco dan's in game management of that game. You see most the people that hate him for that stupid act usually are the same people that keep Disco Dan's balls on their chin.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
it was a stupid act at the wrong time, like the Dallas Baker retaliation against the Tennessee player. But the athletic ability is there and with the right staff he could end up being a solid player. I root for all former Gators in the league unless they go to two teams...

He was an easy person to blame, and a scape goat similar to the running back fumble against A&M to make excuses for disco dan's in game management of that game. You see most the people that hate him for that stupid act usually are the same people that keep Disco Dan's balls on their chin.

lol I happened to have that clip saved in my Favorites from when I used to post at Gator Beta Country, and was constantly being flagged by the Mods for retaliating against their pet posters who went after me first.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

lol I happened to have that clip saved in my Favorites from when I used to post at Gator Beta Country, and was constantly being flagged by the Mods for retaliating against their pet posters who went after me first.

The SEC officially really fuched up the call and how it was supposed to be managed... But my old High School Coach told us, it's always the second guy who gets caught, in close game don't be stupid.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I say Fields is the biggest QB bust of the draft. Not historically bad, but a pad pick.

He will fit right in with the legacy of Bears QBs. I’m almost 60 and can’t think of a great one in my lifetime. McMahon was a big personality but a mediocre QB on a team with that stellar defense and Walter Payton.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

A&M was a lack of situational awareness by Mullen. It happens, but really shouldn't at this point with Davis' 7 years here. Malik didn't lose the game for us, but he should've also been aware of what a turnover would mean. But yes, I don't hate any former players and will root for them to do well, and Marco will be no exception and again could be decent. Even Stiner may turn some heads with the right coaching. He's also moldable and will work hard, which Jerry loves. I can see the marriage working.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A&M was a lack of situational awareness by Mullen. It happens, but really shouldn't at this point with Davis' 7 years here. Malik didn't lose the game for us, but he should've also been aware of what a turnover would mean. But yes, I don't hate any former players and will root for them to do well, and Marco will be no exception and again could be decent. Even Stiner may turn some heads with the right coaching. He's also moldable and will work hard, which Jerry loves. I can see the marriage working.

First it's Jerrah... and Stiner will be able to trade jersey's with Wilson when they play the Iggles twice a year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A&M was a lack of situational awareness by Mullen. It happens, but really shouldn't at this point with Davis' 7 years here. .
A&M was a turd burger the whole way.

Defense.

Mullett and the MUST ESTABLISH THE OPTION mindset.

It wasnt just Davis, by any stretch.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
A&M was a turd burger the whole way.

Defense.

Mullett and the MUST ESTABLISH THE OPTION mindset.

It wasnt just Davis, by any stretch.

Time management to finish the first half was the biggest gaffe. In our three losses that mattered, it was a recurring theme that cost us more than anything else. We finished just about every other of the eight games' first halves near perfectly. In those three games, we made some of the biggest bonehead decisions in the final minutes of Q2, and-- not surprisingly considering our defense gave us little margin for error--it cost us. All three of those first halves concluded with the other team scoring in the final seconds. And none of them had anything to do with player personnel. It was botched at the top and went completely away from our character the rest of the season.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The SEC officially really fuched up the call and how it was supposed to be managed... But my old High School Coach told us, it's always the second guy who gets caught, in close game don't be stupid.

The flag was wrong, but we still win if they just start the clock as they were supposed to, or if Zook has the presence of mind to insist that it did. The :30 we could've run off likely kills their chances of getting into FG range. Just like as bad as the '03 Swindle calls were, a decent pass rush on a terribly erratic-under-pressure QB on 4th and 14 probably wins that game as well.

Zook's extreme lack of attention to detail is exactly why he watched last night's post-draft analysis from his phone while dusting counters and disinfecting pens.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
More accurate:

Five-Star: 7 drafted/35ish 5 stars total
Four-Star: 10/250ish
Three-Star: 15/2000ish

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread