Recruiting 2021 Recruiting: NSD Probably falling outside top 10

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll believe any of those 4 guys are Gators when the ink is dry. I hope like hell we can get them but not counting on it

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's been a lot of questions about how the NCAA will handle returning seniors (2020 seniors returning for an additional year). They won't count towards the 85 cap, but apparently them staying will have an effect on teams getting a lot of mid-year enrollees (early enrollees). Here's a comment from Kirby Smart about it:

"Everything doesn’t mesh…let’s say we have five mid-years, which isn’t the case at all, but let’s say we have five mid-years that want to come," Smart said. "We have to have a spot for every one of them to come, so every senior who elects to stay, we don’t have a mid-year spot. So, even though [seniors] won’t count towards the 85, we don’t have a spot for [mid-years] to come. We don’t really control what seniors stay, and we’ll certainly give them the flexibility, but if we have more mid-years that want to come than seniors who want to leave, we have a problem. I don’t think that all the things mesh real well, especially if you’re a program that has a shot at a lot of mid-years. What’s different about this year? Kids aren’t in high school, so why should [they] stay for [their] second semester? We’re looking at—and I don’t know about other schools, maybe they’re the same way—[but] we’re looking at the possibility of anywhere from 14 to 20 mid-year enrollees. Let’s say we have 20 mid-year enrollees who want to come—we don’t have 20 spots. Yet, the seniors won’t count next year, but they’re eating spots right now. It just doesn’t add up. It doesn’t make perfect sense, so it’s a dilemma that we have to deal with."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Another recruiting topic is in January the NCAA will vote on the free one-time transfer policy, and it's expected to easily pass. However, each conference can set their own rules in regards to transfers. The SEC will vote to allow it or add a restriction for SEC school to SEC school transfers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

The seniors who are most likely to come back - because they ain't going to the NFL: Dunlap, Delance, Wells, Moon, and Stiner. Moon would test well at the combine, but I don't see him getting drafted. Possibly could see Shawn Davis or Brad Stewart, as they are likely UDFA types. I want Dunlap to return, the others would just be depth pieces. Could you imagine Delance returning....and starting? Ooooof!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The seniors who are most likely to come back - because they ain't going to the NFL: Dunlap, Delance, Wells, Moon, and Stiner. Moon would test well at the combine, but I don't see him getting drafted. Possibly could see Shawn Davis or Brad Stewart, as they are likely UDFA types. I want Dunlap to return, the others would just be depth pieces. Could you imagine Delance returning....and starting? Ooooof!

I'll pencil that one in for Tuesday.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Sorey Adeyele Arnold McCall and Leigh will be in town this weekend...Gotta put the pedal through the floor Dan

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't disagree, but he does to seem to be playing more as of late. He also seems to play with a lot of energy. I suspect he may just be getting what would otherwise have been Whittemore's snaps. In any event, I am happy for him that he's getting an opportunity to play some meaningful downs.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
There's been a lot of questions about how the NCAA will handle returning seniors (2020 seniors returning for an additional year). They won't count towards the 85 cap, but apparently them staying will have an effect on teams getting a lot of mid-year enrollees (early enrollees). Here's a comment from Kirby Smart about it:

"Everything doesn’t mesh…let’s say we have five mid-years, which isn’t the case at all, but let’s say we have five mid-years that want to come," Smart said. "We have to have a spot for every one of them to come, so every senior who elects to stay, we don’t have a mid-year spot. So, even though [seniors] won’t count towards the 85, we don’t have a spot for [mid-years] to come. We don’t really control what seniors stay, and we’ll certainly give them the flexibility, but if we have more mid-years that want to come than seniors who want to leave, we have a problem. I don’t think that all the things mesh real well, especially if you’re a program that has a shot at a lot of mid-years. What’s different about this year? Kids aren’t in high school, so why should [they] stay for [their] second semester? We’re looking at—and I don’t know about other schools, maybe they’re the same way—[but] we’re looking at the possibility of anywhere from 14 to 20 mid-year enrollees. Let’s say we have 20 mid-year enrollees who want to come—we don’t have 20 spots. Yet, the seniors won’t count next year, but they’re eating spots right now. It just doesn’t add up. It doesn’t make perfect sense, so it’s a dilemma that we have to deal with."
I never expected to hear something from Kirby that seems to be both well thought out and probably true as well. I suppose the old saw about even a stopped clock being right twice a day applies perfectly in this instance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Moon? You think Moon will become a talented football player or find the weight room between now and next year when he's a 6th year senior?

I don't know why Moon would leave. He's certainly not going to get drafted.

Campbell's a guy who should stay also. he's going to get a sixth round to UFA grade unless he has some spectacular combine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.