Recruiting 2021 Recruiting: NSD Probably falling outside top 10

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Greg Knox can't land a HS RB to save his life....meanwhile, UGA gets a low ranked 3-star RB from Texas - 6'0 185lbs, who was previously committed to New Mexico State, to come there as a PWO:

Cash Jones, 2021 Running Back - Rivals.com
Can you imagine the beatdown Knox would have received here had he signed a low 3* RB? (Of course being Ugly we will all be convinced this is a diamond in the rough who will later kill it in the WLOCP.)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can you imagine the beatdown Knox would have received here had he signed a low 3* RB? (Of course being Ugly we will all be convinced this is a diamond in the rough who will later kill it in the WLOCP.)

I'm not saying we should have signed this kid, I'm pointing out that they managed to convince a 3-star RB to walk-on....meanwhile, Greg Knox can't even get a 3-star to sign with us. He's signed one low 4-star (Naquan) in 4 signing classes. If not for the portal (and a full RB room when he got here) we'd be in pretty bad shape. He needs to start targeting the mid-3-star kids, ranked in the 500-1000 range, that seems more his speed/capability. Sure, throw out offers to the big-boy RB's (the 4 and 5 star kids) but make sure to have a solid Vandy, UCF level kid ready to jump on board once all of the big boys go to our rivals.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I'm not saying we should have signed this kid, I'm pointing out that they managed to convince a 3-star RB to walk-on....meanwhile, Greg Knox can't even get a 3-star to sign with us. He's signed one low 4-star (Naquan) in 4 signing classes. If not for the portal (and a full RB room when he got here) we'd be in pretty bad shape. He needs to start targeting the mid-3-star kids, ranked in the 500-1000 range, that seems more his speed/capability. Sure, throw out offers to the big-boy RB's (the 4 and 5 star kids) but make sure to have a solid Vandy, UCF level kid ready to jump on board once all of the big boys go to our rivals.
Whoops, I misread you post. Didn't realize he was walking on.

On the other front, how does a kid from Texas walk on at Ugly? Aren't walk ons prohibited from any kind of scholly?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Whoops, I misread you post. Didn't realize he was walking on.

On the other front, how does a kid from Texas walk on at Ugly? Aren't walk ons prohibited from any kind of scholly?

They're prohibited for two years, otherwise they become an "initial counter".

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They're prohibited for two years, otherwise they become an "initial counter".
Hmmm......guess his family is well to do then that they can afford to pay out of state tuition at Ugly rather than their son get a free ride to New Mexico State......

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I get a little confused with who recruits who on a staff. Do position coaches recruit their positions or do coaches have assigned areas? Or hybrid of both? Is it like car salesmen (geographically assigned) takes guy back to finance officer (position coach)? And so on.

I ask, because, well, RB is a spot on the team where it seems we are sitting pretty nice at the moment. While it has all pretty much been done through the portal it is still a good spot on the team.

I also look at how our RBs have performed during the season and honestly I have no issues. Davis had a case of fumbles but that appears to be a Davis thing and/or just poor timing. All our RBs seem to have progressed and we actually have some studs on the roster. Im all for giving credit where credit is due and I really have no beef with how our RBs performed or the talent we have. While I think credit has to be given on performance to Knox, I really don't know who Knox actually recruited or tried to recruit because I thought it was geographically assigned and not position.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I get a little confused with who recruits who on a staff. Do position coaches recruit their positions or do coaches have assigned areas? Or hybrid of both? Is it like car salesmen (geographically assigned) takes guy back to finance officer (position coach)? And so on.

I ask, because, well, RB is a spot on the team where it seems we are sitting pretty nice at the moment. While it has all pretty much been done through the portal it is still a good spot on the team.

I also look at how our RBs have performed during the season and honestly I have no issues. Davis had a case of fumbles but that appears to be a Davis thing and/or just poor timing. All our RBs seem to have progressed and we actually have some studs on the roster. Im all for giving credit where credit is due and I really have no beef with how our RBs performed or the talent we have. While I think credit has to be given on performance to Knox, I really don't know who Knox actually recruited or tried to recruit because I thought it was geographically assigned and not position.

Each coach has a section of the state and a area/region out of state - but they also get involved when it's a player at their position. I'll try to find something that breaks down where each coach is assigned.

Hurrig8r

Nov 18, 2017
Today, Alabama, has the opportunity to finish with the best class ever. This class would eclipse the Chimps 2010 class at Florida. What did we do with that class? Finish 9th in the AP in 2012. That's the best. Maybe its not the stars that matter. Just sayin.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Today, Alabama, has the opportunity to finish with the best class ever. This class would eclipse the Chimps 2010 class at Florida. What did we do with that class? Finish 9th in the AP in 2012. That's the best. Maybe its not the stars that matter. Just sayin.
I don’t see this lasting another 5 or so years before something has to change. If it continues to be the same 3-4 teams in the playoffs every year, people are going to start checking out on college ball. At this point, not too many people, even Bama fans give a crap if they win a natty or not. The product is starting to become stale with the lack of parity.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW - I check this thread a couple times a day and due to our apparent lack of involvement with anyone, I forgot the second signing day was today.

Is anyone even a possibility for second today? Arnold? Anyone else?

Just Arnold. But he’s likely Bama.

There could be an unexpected signing but I think the staff is focusing on the portal.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

The 2010 class was Meyer's last class, not Muschamp's first class.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The portal waiver wire is the new recruiting clean up/catch up tool as referenced as we rake in 5* talent left and right every year now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
10th in Rivals. But probably won’t be by end of day.

13th in 247 but will probably drop.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
10th in Rivals. But probably won’t be by end of day.

13th in 247 but will probably drop.

Relentless effort!!

The funny thing is the previous 3 classes were "top 10" - but lost multiple signees to academics or behavioral issues prior to ever getting to their first fall (so they really weren't "top 10" classes). So this class will be right about where the previous classes should have been (without taking the academic/behavior risks).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Relentless effort!!

The funny thing is the previous 3 classes were "top 10" - but lost multiple signees to academics or behavioral issues prior to ever getting to their first fall (so they really weren't "top 10" classes). So this class will be right about where the previous classes should have been (without taking the academic/behavior risks).

Actually that’s a really good point. We could probably be ranked seventh or eighth if we took kids that would not end up being in this class.

Which isn’t some thing the top tier teams do.

I saw a tweet last night that said Alabama has 16 players from the top 100 in the country in this class. To put into perspective, Oklahoma has 16 players that were top 100 recruits on their entire roster. And they are 8th in overall team talent rankings in the country.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I saw a tweet last night that said Alabama has 16 players from the top 100 in the country in this class.
Wheeee. Certainly takes some of the fun out of football when you have an unstoppable monopoly like this. Might as well just give them the NC Trophy every year in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.