Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Oh, and 95 with no ability to locate is also BS baseball. It's all connected to the "Sully philosophy" of how the game has changed into what the kids want to do. Pumping iron, launch angles and the occasional long ball to the warning track is alot easier to practice than slapping the outside pitch oppo or laying down a bunt with 0 outs and runner on 2nd and then hitting the long ball to score the run. Not sexy and no one plays small ball anymore except those smaller D1 schools that takde 2 of 3 in your house on opening weekend. Enjoy!

You certainly hit that one out of the park ~ And your launch angle was perfect!

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Wonderful. I have nothing but high hopes for this team as I do with any Gator program. I am making an observation that has been consistently part of the way we play baseball. If you want to disagree with the specifics of that observation be my guest.
Your observations are consistent with mine. The only thing is this is what they value and teach in the minor leagues on the way up. It's not how I was taught the game but seems to be the preferred method today. Sometimes it is really hard to watch and at times it's exciting. Sully consistently recruits top 5 classes and gets them in school. He also has a lot of players drafted especially pitchers so in the eyes of the professional evaluators he is doing something right. I get really frustrated when half of the starting line-up is hitting below the mendoza line and we consistently either walk of HPB the lead off hitter.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Your observations are consistent with mine. The only thing is this is what they value and teach in the minor leagues on the way up. It's not how I was taught the game but seems to be the preferred method today. Sometimes it is really hard to watch and at times it's exciting. Sully consistently recruits top 5 classes and gets them in school. He also has a lot of players drafted especially pitchers so in the eyes of the professional evaluators he is doing something right. I get really frustrated when half of the starting line-up is hitting below the mendoza line and we consistently either walk of HPB the lead off hitter.
Oh I agree totally. No doubt this is where the game is going. But unlike football which has done some of the same, particulary with what the want in QB play, Baseball isn't exactly killing in bringing in spectators particularly in college. Miss st. Ole Miss etc may be the exceptions but overall, hard to watch.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Oh I agree totally. No doubt this is where the game is going. But unlike football which has done some of the same, particulary with what the want in QB play, Baseball isn't exactly killing in bringing in spectators particularly in college. Miss st. Ole Miss etc may be the exceptions but overall, hard to watch.
Check this out. Tony Gwynn faced Greg Maddox, Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz a combined 323 times in his career. They were able to K him a combined 3TIMES. Oh My!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Check this out. Tony Gwynn faced Greg Maddox, Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz a combined 323 times in his career. They were able to K him a combined 3TIMES. Oh My!
Gwynn was what they used to refer to as a mixed hitter, same as Rose. Power to all fields and damn near impossible to K.

over 10k plate appearances, K'd a total of 434. Do that math. avg 29 Ks per season. Career stats on K's are base on AB. BB aren't counted as AB so I take issue with the 4.4% career K pct.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good win tonight or no? I am guessing no since it is not YOUR brand of baseball that YOU want to see.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Good win tonight or no? I am guessing no since it is not YOUR brand of baseball that YOU want to see.
Every win is a good. Like I said earlier, I posted an observation and if you care to take issue with validity be my guest. The pitching in SEC play will be a little better so then we'll see if this team can find ways to win or just a one trick pony.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Every win is a good. Like I said earlier, I posted an observation and if you care to take issue with validity be my guest. The pitching in SEC play will be a little better so then we'll see if this team can find ways to win or just a one trick pony.
Last night started on a good note as we were able to manufacture the first run without getting a hit. Leadoff walk, wild pitch to second, ground ball to left side to move runner to third, score on ground ball to SS. Next inning lead off double, sac bunt to third, ooops 2 run HR.
Sproat looked really good, probably his best outing, and Purnell and Slater showed they are the bullpen's best early this season. The downside is after the 3rd inning we didn't hit again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.