2022 investing thread

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
S&P is down 13.3% for the year. Ooooof!
I think it's maybe 1/3 of the way down(most people seem to think 35-45%). They(the Fed)will have to reverse course around that time or the entire economy, stock market, bond market and housing will go down in flames.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
ekkzfgtiqow81.jpg

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Was going to try an Arbitrage trade with TWTR since the current price was about 11% below Elon's agreed upon offer price of $54.20. Decided instead to piggyback on Papa Buffet's Activision Arbitrage play. He just purchased 10% of ATVI worth 5 Billion. Microsoft has agreed to buy it at $95 per share (closed at $78 today). Hope it goes through. Could use some guaranteed green right about now. I'm lost in the Cathy Woods. Bring back that cheap money! Do or die on Wednesday.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Was going to try an Arbitrage trade with TWTR since the current price was about 11% below Elon's agreed upon offer price of $54.20. Decided instead to piggyback on Papa Buffet's Activision Arbitrage play. He just purchased 10% of ATVI worth 5 Billion. Microsoft has agreed to buy it at $95 per share (closed at $78 today). Hope it goes through. Could use some guaranteed green right about now. I'm lost in the Cathy Woods. Bring back that cheap money! Do or die on Wednesday.
Stuff is already breaking in the economy(layoffs starting here, inventories are back up and some are reporting surplus, china playing possum with their economy) ....Jay won't be able to keep the bar up high past early fall especially when the corporates can't refinance their debt into lower rates which equal piss poor earnings and....wait for it....layoffs.
The FED has already broken the stock market and doesn't care....but when corps can get low enough bonds Jay will rollout the printer again....the big question is when? He can't afford to shoot the Housing, Stock, and Bond market all at once...but each will taking a beating in the mean time. Oh and remember Powell is a Republican sooooo he might keep the pressure on longer this time.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Stuff is already breaking in the economy(layoffs starting here, inventories are back up and some are reporting surplus, china playing possum with their economy) ....Jay won't be able to keep the bar up high past early fall especially when the corporates can't refinance their debt into lower rates which equal piss poor earnings and....wait for it....layoffs.
The FED has already broken the stock market and doesn't care....but when corps can get low enough bonds Jay will rollout the printer again....the big question is when? He can't afford to shoot the Housing, Stock, and Bond market all at once...but each will taking a beating in the mean time. Oh and remember Powell is a Republican sooooo he might keep the pressure on longer this time.
Any chance they'll try to keep the Titanic afloat to help with the Mid-terms? Seems like the Dems will get creamed if there's a recession and the market has tanked another 15-20%. Would be hard to cheat your way out of that. Deep State would risk losing significant power if this happens. My theory is FED will pivot Dovish by Mid-Summer to help the Administration with the Midterms.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hope none of you fell for yesterday's trap....here's the latest image of retail traders today.
R.a18241e0d7feea793118019ecdd612e7

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
definitely do not put it towards any sort of retirement savings. You won't live long enough to enjoy it.

It's best you waste it on hookers and blow

Some might quibble with your choice of words and not consider those options as "wasting" at all. :lmao2: Especially the Hookers. Much less expensive than any wife I have ever known.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How much more air has to come out of the balloon to get inflation under control?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Patience is a virtue. All the talk that there is "X" Trillions sitting in bank accounts waiting to be deployed does not seem to be holding water. I have been hearing that since the beginning of time and then all of a sudden "poof" it is gone. Another record level of household credit card debt, seeing all the must have BS stuff from Peloton and Carvana and now seeing those stocks approach ZERO as well as the Buy Now Pay Never firms heading to ZERO, makes me wonder where that sideline money truly is. Seems to me that some of the old stodgy brick and mortar banks will be able to buy some of the "can't miss BS AI Tech" like the Buy Now Pay Never firms and companies like Lemonade (who was going to put every insurance company out of business) much more cheaply than had they chosen to develop these things themselves.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Patience is a virtue. All the talk that there is "X" Trillions sitting in bank accounts waiting to be deployed does not seem to be holding water. I have been hearing that since the beginning of time and then all of a sudden "poof" it is gone. Another record level of household credit card debt, seeing all the must have BS stuff from Peloton and Carvana and now seeing those stocks approach ZERO as well as the Buy Now Pay Never firms heading to ZERO, makes me wonder where that sideline money truly is. Seems to me that some of the old stodgy brick and mortar banks will be able to buy some of the "can't miss BS AI Tech" like the Buy Now Pay Never firms and companies like Lemonade (who was going to put every insurance company out of business) much more cheaply than had they chosen to develop these things themselves.

I’m not sure the data is as wrong as it is skewed to give a very fake impression. Whatever their amount (that week) of money sitting in cash is probably not far from the truth. Same with the overall family balance sheet health talk we’ve heard for the last year plus.

What’s not specified is the disparity between different groups(socioeconomic or otherwise) that make up that average. I’ve said for 2 years that those who were on stable footing prior to Covid would emerge even better, while those already struggling or just making poor economic decisions would fall further behind then they had been prior. So I do think there is a ton of cash sitting idle and modestly approaching all areas of spending. But I’ve also seen firsthand friends that are already over-leveraging all over again as if they have no reservations at all. Their balance sheets just get offset and hidden amongst the others. But this was always going to happen and play out exactly the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.