Not open for further replies.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Solid players? Good on paper? Wow.

Three first round draft picks along with a 4th and 5th round pick. Those rating agencies are patting each other on the back for going 5 for 5 in player assessment with the exception being Ronald Powell want the best in his class. Should have been a high 4 star, not the number 1 player.

Remember, he tore an ACL and was too light to play DE, or even a real Buck. Graduated at 240lbs. Hindsight, too highly rated, but he tore up the All American game. Which is where the TE buzz kept coming from.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I believe their value was overestimated. I can't remember Powell doing anything of note. But my memory is not to be relied on.

Cali kids. Powell was not used correctly and Shaw couldn't beat out FL kids.

Easley, Floyd and Elam were studs.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Three first round draft picks along with a 4th and 5th round pick. Those rating agencies are patting each other on the back for going 5 for 5 in player assessment with the exception being Ronald Powell want the best in his class. Should have been a high 4 star, not the number 1 player.

I wasn't rating them based on stars or being high draft picks I was just reflecting on their overall consistency while playing for the Gators.
You may be right. I would have to go back to the stats

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

Edit to add college honors - 2 sec all freshman team; 3 all sec team seasons; and 2 all American seasons. With Easley accounting for none of those (due to injuries as he was otherwise the most dominant of that class). Meh.
Wow, that's impressive. Remind me what was UF's record while they were on campus? How many titles did we win? Glad they got some individual awards.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Cali kids. Powell was not used correctly and Shaw couldn't beat out FL kids.

Easley, Floyd and Elam were studs.

Powell was big kid and very athletic. I never understood why he didn't do better. He did have an injury or 2. But I agree that his talents were not used properly

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe their value was overestimated. I can't remember Powell doing anything of note. But my memory is not to be relied on.
Gators went 12-1 with the a Musdwag offense in ‘12. These were the three best players!!!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Never understood why he wasn’t given a shot.
Because if a player was talented, Chimp wanted him on D. Remember, this is the same guy who recruited Johnny Manziel to play DB. There actually was a solid TE in that class; Gerald Christian. After Chimp tried one spring to make a LB out of him, he saw the writing on the wall and transferred to Louisville, where he had a decent career and played a few seasons in the NFL.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
That class was great on paper!

Easley, Floyd and Elam were great on the field

They were solid players the team record except for one season was pedestrian

I thought they were good but they just didn't live up to their star ranking. I would have to look back at our defensive stats to remember for sure.

That was really my point! A class that looks to be outstanding by star rankings doesn't always work out on the field. If I remember Easley had some injury issues

Edit to add college honors - 2 sec all freshman team; 3 all sec team seasons; and 2 all American seasons. With Easley accounting for none of those (due to injuries as he was otherwise the most dominant of that class). Meh.

That D was great on the field too. Its a testament to how fuchsed up our offense was under chump. Our defense was left on the field for lots of the games and put in horrible positions because of that horrible offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator