Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not just saying this because it’s UF, but I really wonder at parents who are this involved in their kids recruiting. At this level, there really are no wrong choices; any good P5 program will get him a shot into the NFL if he’s as good as advertised. Looking at your own kid as a meal ticket is disgusting.
My kid’s HS had quite few kids go on to play college sports, several of whom had parents I knew. Also knew a bunch of parents, through work, of other kids being recruited. Fortunately they all felt it was ultimately the kid’s decision - though there was usually some eye rolling when the kid picked a school a good distance away. So, hopefully this means the parents pushing their kids to a particular school for their own selfish reasons are the exception, not the rule.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad you were able to chat her up. If I ever catch you talking to nick Evers mom , I'm gonna take a baseball bat to your knees

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks for the info. I'm glad you were able to chat her up. If I ever catch you talking to nick Evers mom , I'm gonna take a baseball bat to your knees
If you swing a bat as well as you read, I’m not real worried; it was @Homer J who chatted up a recruits mom, not me. Besides I prefer a different players mom who is not only pretty but is apparently outstanding at catching fish. I wonder if she likes to drink…:scratchchin:

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If swing a bat as well as you read, I’m not real worried; it was @Homer J who chatted up a recruits mom, not me. Besides I prefer a different players mom who is not only pretty but is apparently outstanding at catching fish. I wonder if she likes to drink…:scratchchin:
Lol for some reason I quoted you. Either way, let it be known!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you swing a bat as well as you read, I’m not real worried; it was @Homer J who chatted up a recruits mom, not me. Besides I prefer a different players mom who is not only pretty but is apparently outstanding at catching fish. I wonder if she likes to drink…:scratchchin:
I've got a baseball bat too.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I’m not just saying this because it’s UF, but I really wonder at parents who are this involved in their kids recruiting. At this level, there really are no wrong choices;

I completely disagree. 17 year old kids make dumb decisions all the time. Issues like coaching stability, training staff success rate, nutrition program quality, defensive coordinator, scheme, vision, talent around you (so you don't have to play out of position for years ala Zach Carter, Burney, etc.) are all factors that an informed adult should be advising their kid on. These are major impacts on pro potential. Your theory also contemplates that you haven't considered injury or non-NFL potential risk, including where the kid wants to live after school if football doesn't pan out, what they want to study, and academic resources/scheduling flexibility for athletes with crazy busy schedules (plus the team culture vis a vis academics - we all know the clowns don't have the same ethos as some other programs). You're neglecting your kid if you are not heavily involved as a counselor to them, IMO. You don't have to be THE decision maker

Are there parents like the Holy Reverend Newton who are shopping his kid for the highest dollar instead of the kids long term best interests, of course (and more than we all likely wish). But, look at how short sighted even that was. Cam made tens of millions as a pro and will make more in endorsements for years by winning a title at Auburn. Yet, he sold his kid for a few hundred thousand dollars that if it was a major mistake would have cost them more than 100X that amount.. The longer investment in the right situation was more important. Usually it's worth more than the tens of thousands in a bag that is more the norm. But my "privilege" to have foresight and avoid instant gratification is showing.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I completely disagree. 17 year old kids make dumb decisions all the time. Issues like coaching stability, training staff success rate, nutrition program quality, defensive coordinator, scheme, vision, talent around you (so you don't have to play out of position for years ala Zach Carter, Burney, etc.) are all factors that an informed adult should be advising their kid on. These are major impacts on pro potential. Your theory also contemplates that you haven't considered injury or non-NFL potential risk, including where the kid wants to live after school if football doesn't pan out, what they want to study, and academic resources/scheduling flexibility for athletes with crazy busy schedules (plus the team culture vis a vis academics - we all know the clowns don't have the same ethos as some other programs). You're neglecting your kid if you are not heavily involved as a counselor to them, IMO. You don't have to be THE decision maker

Are there parents like the Holy Reverend Newton who are shopping his kid for the highest dollar instead of the kids long term best interests, of course (and more than we all likely wish). But, look at how short sighted even that was. Cam made tens of millions as a pro and will make more in endorsements for years by winning a title at Auburn. Yet, he sold his kid for a few hundred thousand dollars that if it was a major mistake would have cost them more than 100X that amount.. The longer investment in the right situation was more important. Usually it's worth more than the tens of thousands in a bag that is more the norm. But my "orivilege" to have foresight and avoid instant gratification is showing.
I clearly did not explain myself very well. Yes parents should be involved and ensure kids are looking at the right things and not getting conned. They should absolutely offer advice and be a sounding board. My point is simply that the ultimate decision maker should be the kid. It’s their life and in my experience when a kid goes where the parent wants them to (and they don’t really want to) it ends badly.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I've got a baseball bat too.
We've heard
il_794xN.1422284060_57za.jpg

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FYI - I am into Ethan White's Mom. Beautiful smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.