Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Serious question: he has played...thinking...
one (?) year in the last five. What makes you think he is "more ready" than Marshall?

He's supposedly very legit, his plan was to sit out 2020 and enter the draft but was advised to come back to college for one more year. I don't know why he doesn't just stay at A&M (maybe they have two returning starters?), but he's probably as good or better than any option we have for 2021 (Marshall likely will be better eventually, but not as a true freshman). I don't know. I'm torn on this - if we take him the counter is gone, so we can't use it for this upcoming class; if we don't take him we risk playing a true freshman all year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's supposedly very legit, his plan was to sit out 2020 and enter the draft but was advised to come back to college for one more year. I don't know why he doesn't just stay at A&M (maybe they have two returning starters?), but he's probably as good or better than any option we have for 2021 (Marshall likely will be better eventually, but not as a true freshman). I don't know. I'm torn on this - if we take him the counter is gone, so we can't use it for this upcoming class; if we don't take him we risk playing a true freshman all year.

In a potential rebuild year, I rather get a guy ready for year two... then start a guy who might not make it to November.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
But is it a rebuilding year? This is year 4 for Mullen. The weakness on the DL has been beefed up and now might be the strength. Grabbing Blade with Elam on the other side might do the same back there. LB isnt horrible, just not much depth. Offense will not be anywhere near as potent but it still should be good. And honestly, do we really think that spot will actually be used for something other than a 10-15 ranked class again? While it does seem like the staff is finally actively recruiting better (relative perspective on previous effort), I'll believe it when I see it. That counter would probably be less if they don't take him.

EDIT: But does taking Blade motivate someone to jump into the portal?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
But is it a rebuilding year? This is year 4 for Mullen. The weakness on the DL has been beefed up and now might be the strength. Grabbing Blade with Elam on the other side might do the same back there. LB isnt horrible, just not much depth. Offense will not be anywhere near as potent but it still should be good. And honestly, do we really think that spot will actually be used for something other than a 10-15 ranked class again? While it does seem like the staff is finally actively recruiting better (relative perspective on previous effort), I'll believe it when I see it. That counter would probably be less if they don't take him.

We've been through this, neteng. Many times. It's 5-7, 6-6 at best, this season. All hinges on ut, uk, and then holding serve against the G5 teams. This is the year the wheels fall off.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

That's why I say, potentially a rebuild year. The offense is going to be less explosive, and obviously move to a more Mullenesque ball control offense. The defense is a question, mark, regardless of talent the coaching/coordinating in that department has been that way for all three years under Todd. There is no replacing what we lost, much like '97 was a rebuild year after '96 while still being a good year for Gator football. Both sides of the ball should see an infusion of new talent, what that means for the final product compared to our competition is up in the air.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This team is winning 10 games.

There’s no way we’re looking at 5-6 wins.

Will lose to Bama and and either Georgia or the SECCG. We will either lose our bowl game or some other random game. So I’d say to pen in 3 losses.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Will lose to Bama and and either Georgia or the SECCG. We will either lose our bowl game or some other random game. So I’d say to pen in 3 losses.

We should win 9/10 games regardless of whom is coach, just due to our schedule. There is usually only 3 teams with equal or better talent every year, this year we add Bama in the regular season.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Ok, but what about after October?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We should win 9/10 games regardless of whom is coach, just due to our schedule. There is usually only 3 teams with equal or better talent every year, this year we add Bama in the regular season.

LSU, Bama, and Georgia have better talent. Bowl game is usually about equal talent.

FSU’s talent is in the sh!tter right now.
So we will have 3-4 games (4 if we make it to SECCG) where the other team will have more talent.

So if we make it to SECCG and lose 4 games or if we don’t make it and lose 3 games, then he did about what should be expected on talent differential.

If he loses 2 or less games then he would have done an excellent job.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Iggles fan trolling like only an Iggles fan can.

I actually do think there are some intriguing wild cards this year for us. The vols have a new, offensive(and caloric) minded head coach, Drinkwitz will be in his second year playing us at home and with revenge in his mind, and even the noles will be in year two of Norvell. If Milton holds up, they could actually be decent this season. But yes, I agree with your statement that it's always a 9/10 type season at UF due to talent, which is why outside of some championship years, even our best coaches have generally put up those numbers.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I think we could be very good this year. My initial post was mocking the "this year" downer posts we heard going into the last 3 years. Similar to last year, there's not a team on our regular season schedule that I feel we definitively cannot beat, obviously Alabama being the closest to that. The defense will still be Grantham's, but will be tremendously improved, and this will look much more like the offense Mullen wants to run. Now, as we saw with Lsu last year, things could also go horribly wrong. But there's no reason we aren't a Top 5-10 team this year, and unless uga just becomes electric with the new QB, we should have the East won by the time we leave Jax. Anything south of that, and I think DM is fighting for his life at year's end, and rightly so.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we could be very good this year. My initial post was mocking the "this year" downer posts we heard going into the last 3 years. Similar to last year, there's not a team on our regular season schedule that I feel we definitively cannot beat, obviously Alabama being the closest to that. The defense will still be Grantham's, but will be tremendously improved, and this will look much more like the offense Mullen wants to run. Now, as we saw with Lsu last year, things could also go horribly wrong. But there's no reason we aren't a Top 5-10 team this year, and unless uga just becomes electric with the new QB, we should have the East won by the time we leave Jax. Anything south of that, and I think DM is fighting for his life at year's end, and rightly so.

Yeah. I know. I was just teasing you.

DM should win 10 games. Minimum.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's known as "The Trask Paradox"
I can't I can't believe you just compared Trash to to the vagabond Jr Caine Blades. That should be a bannable offense.

I guess we're desperate to add stars to the class though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
this team should have won 10 games last year.

not the 10 wins mean anything in a 14-game season. this is just an eight and four coach from the 80s.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I can't I can't believe you just compared Trash to to the vagabond Jr Caine Blades. That should be a bannable offense.

I guess we're desperate to add stars to the class though.

I think Blades could provide some insight from his brief time at Nebraska. Especially if we get matched up with another Big12 team in our bowl. Who better to help than someone who's see it first hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator