Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Bingo. I even want the janitor who cleaned Mullen's office out on his ass, too. It's not personal; they have a disease and have to be excised. Mullen was the ultimate "super spreader".
Its not just Mullen. Its Chump, Mac and Mullen back to back to back. Love that Billy is cleaning house

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I get it. My son is a junior at UF and he’ll graduate in 2023 probably never getting to share in great Gator football.

The year my son got to Florida is the year Spur announced that he was going to the NFL. Son was pumped the day before the announcement and crushed the day after.

Should I blame him for Spur's departure or just let it go.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It’s not just Donk, or myself, or a handful of others that highly value the recruiting services and their equally proven evaluations. It’s literally every team that has won a NC over the past few decades. Napier said as much in his opener, referencing the recruiting rankings of Alabama and uga and the fact that they played for the SEC the night before.
So to shift now into this “stars don’t matter” conversation is ridiculous.

I’ll repeat what I said prior to BN’s hiring, and again voiced last week. My concern is that we might be once again having to stomach an approach that is contrary to conventional wisdom out of “trust”. I say maybe, because it’s obviously way too early to say anything definitive. But we’ve gone from a complete identity change in ‘11, to a trust that somehow a coach is so good he can win with 2-3*’s in ‘15, to we don’t need to recruit because we can outscheme everyone in 2018, to now this. I don’t know why we have to complicate things. We know what works. So it’s frustrating to see and hear an approach that by his own admission may not make much sense at times and may take some patience. I don’t get why we can’t just be normal and do what UF does best.

Spurrier showed it can be done, as did Meyer. Yes they inherited better situations, but they also held on to guys like Baker, Haupt and Murphy who were marginal players that committed to the previous staff and were open to suitors after the change. It would’ve been easy to dismiss them. He didn’t. And much of the rest of that class were players that we’d targeted all year with Zook. He simply landed them and built off of it. Saban’s 2007 class was similar. Those guys know how to evaluate too, and both of them would’ve taken Gibson, Lightsey and probably Evers in their transition class, just from a perception standpoint.

I’m hopeful for Wednesday and beyond, and will again say that I want to see Napier kill it here for a long time. Really like a lot of what he brings to the table. But if we fumble things the rest of the way, I’m also not blindly falling into line and saying everything is fine because “we have a better idea” as former commits are snatched up by teams that either have are in the playoff this year or have been recently.
I thought I said it in fewer words.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The year my son got to Florida is the year Spur announced that he was going to the NFL. Son was pumped the day before the announcement and crushed the day after.

Should I blame him for Spur's departure or just let it go.
The rest of us are still blaming him, so it’d prolly be ok if you let it go.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I get the concerns . My worry is not getting a qb in the class. That could really us in 2023. Also worry about our roster next year. And also our roster next season, we're losing alot. You're not going to reel in a top 5 recruiting class when you go 5-7. You have to have something to sell and atleast be respectable on the field. I'd say atleast 7 wins.

That being said, I'd like to wait and see how we do in February when the whole staff is put together and running wide open and how they go after the transfer portal. I don't think we've lost any program changers.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I’ll also add that you are dead on that he’ll own whatever outcome we have. He’s not a coward and is humble enough to admit it. I just don’t want him to have to. I want him to succeed here.

I am getting pretty sick on this "he's humble" stuff. Just because he says he is humble does not mean he is. In fact his actions say just the opposite.

That said, UF had a nice run with Spurrier who nobody called humble. So that is one glimmer of hope I have with this guy. Then again Muschamp-McElwain-Mullen were not that humble either.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
So one of the final quarterbacks we offered in this years class has made his decision.
Chad Mascoe a 3 star Duel Threat prospect from Kissimmee, Florida has decided that
he wants to play for little Campbell University. Boasting a student body population of 6,448
students, Campbell University is a FCS school located in N. Carolina and is a member of The Big South Conference. Strange to me that he would prefer to be a "Fighting Camel" than a "Florida Gator."

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So one of the final quarterbacks we offered in this years class has made his decision.
Chad Mascoe a 3 star Duel Threat prospect from Kissimmee, Florida has decided that
he wants to play for little Campbell University. Boasting a student body population of 6,448
students, Campbell University is a FCS school located in N. Carolina and is a member of The Big South Conference. Strange to me that he would prefer to be a "Fighting Camel" than a "Florida Gator."

See part of understanding recruiting is understanding "offers." An offer could mean a lot of things. The key is if you have the type of offer where if you want to commit NOW, they will they will take your commitment now.

I would guess this guy did not have such an offer. Maybe he had an offer contingent on an official visit. Maybe he had an offer contingent on UF admissions clearing him. Maybe he just had an offer of a visit. Maybe he had an offer contingent on some other recruit turning UF down. Maybe he had an offer to sign on national signing day not early signing day.

The problem for recruits is that if they sit around with one of these contingent offers, their real offers may go away. So this guy took a bird in the hand.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I'm really bummed we're not signing a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys from California, the Bahama's, Boy's town, etc. that won't make it to fall camp. Those were the days.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really bummed we're not signing a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys from California, the Bahama's, Boy's town, etc. that won't make it to fall camp. Those were the days.
Speaking of California. I think Lincoln Riley has only 4 commits

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
@InstiGATOR1 may be the most arrogant and presumptuous SOB this forum has ever seen… and that is quite the accomplishment. Dan Mullen failed spectacularly in every single measurable way. None of us have any idea what Billy Napier’s reasons are for cutting Mullen’s recruits loose; however, I will gladly give him the benefit of the doubt for doing so. This class would be sh!t regardless. Next year’s class is worthy of all scrutiny you can dig up. But this one was always gonna suck, whether or not Dan stayed or hit the bricks. You are just looking for a reason to b!tch, and in turn, have proven that you are nothing more than a whiny little b!tch.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Exactly I think he knows what works with his system and he goes and gets what he knows will develop into talent to win. He might have drafted 3 stars before but at the end of their college careers they get drafted to play in the NFL
Here's a secret, but don't tell anyone. There's no such thing as a 3 star whisperer. It's a joke. He's going to get top 5 or so classes or he won't last past the 4th year, just like the last 3 failures. That's just the way this game works.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Here's a secret, but don't tell anyone. There's no such thing as a 3 star whisperer. It's a joke. He's going to get top 5 or so classes or he won't last past the 4th year, just like the last 3 failures. That's just the way this game works.

Agreed. Interesting analysis here. Myles is all about getting the elite players, but he notes a transition class can at least find helpful players.

Worried about Florida's recruiting? Here's why you shouldn't be. - Read and Reaction

I heard Jimmy Johnson quote Al Davis Sunday as telling him there are a lot of players who can help you win ganes but just a few who will make the big plays that win championships. (Paraphrasing) That’s true at every level, every sport. Pareto principle at work.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I am getting pretty sick on this "he's humble" stuff. Just because he says he is humble does not mean he is. In fact his actions say just the opposite.
I'm going to go against my instincts and ask for your opinion here. What specifically has he done which goes against his humility? Be specific - omit nothing.

You hate the hire, so you continue to reach for anything. If Napier was secretly filmed handing a homeless man a $100 bill, you would probably say it was knowingly infected with COVID.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just disappointed we got Billy Napier and his well thought out documented plan, hiring actual legit recruiters, and starting to build an army of analysts as he promised instead of Brian Kelly aka Mullen 2.0 and his fake southern drawl and ghey dances with recruits to 30 year old country music...

So no Carpetbaggers.... got it... Now we know how you truly feel about Deet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator