2023 Investing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete, why on earth would you invest money that is in a tax free account in a tax free instrument? Unless you are saying taxable munis.
Double dip on the "lowering trade" without paying cap taxes....eventually as someone your age is probably aware....it all gets taxed.... same reason I love gold from sovereign mints.....untaxable at point of sale up to 25 oz....at a time...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm scared to death of civil unrest caused by an influx of 10 million foreigners with no housing and no jobs. They are really going to overburden our Blue Cities and their budgets. I foresee some defaults.
If that's the case then you better go balls deep into physical gold, silver, bitcoin(tracible) because even sitting at 5% cash your money will get eroded faster than you put it in...true inflation when you factor in REAL cost of living is over 28% in the last 2 years...

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Double dip on the "lowering trade" without paying cap taxes....eventually as someone your age is probably aware....it all gets taxed.... same reason I love gold from sovereign mints.....untaxable at point of sale up to 25 oz....at a time...
again Crete, once it goes into a Roth there are no more taxes. It has already been taxed. Just ask Peter Thiel who turned about 2 Grand into 4 BiIL in his Roth. Yes that is Billion with a B

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
If that's the case then you better go balls deep into physical gold, silver, bitcoin(tracible) because even sitting at 5% cash your money will get eroded faster than you put it in...true inflation when you factor in REAL cost of living is over 28% in the last 2 years...
That's exactly what I did. Cashed all my muni's when they hit break even (was earning just below 5%, plus the tax benefits), and bought SIL, GDX, GDXJ, SLV and URA. Also ploughed into HODL like some moron drunk on FOMO with Bitcoin at 42K. Stupid right? Should have bought it back when it was under $20K. We'll see. Globalist have huge plans for an American implosion.

It's likely they'll dump it in Trump's lap.

Last edited:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
If you are invested in stocks or funds that go down then yes the value will go down. but if you want to just let it sit there in cash or in a money fund, right now you can get 5%. So let's assume you put in $1,000, leave it in cash at 5% simple interest (not compounding, for this discussion only) and at the end of 1 year you will have $1,050, regardless of what any stocks or stock fund does. Now buying power may be lower due to inflation, but you will have that amount of money. But perhaps your retirement money is directed into certain investments when you make a deposit, I am not sure.

Thanks for the breakdown…I know my financial advisor disperses my Roth contribution into various funds/stocks such as the usual biggies like Microsoft and Apple..he mentioned I could look into CDs but most banks right now are only letting them go no more than 9 months out….he’s not a fan of crypto right now either so I’ve basically been using my additional monies to get into silver

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Just food for thought….10 out of the 14 recessions have occurred on either the 1st year or 4th year of a presidential term….so odds are good we will be in one this year or next

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for the breakdown…I know my financial advisor disperses my Roth contribution into various funds/stocks such as the usual biggies like Microsoft and Apple..he mentioned I could look into CDs but most banks right now are only letting them go no more than 9 months out….he’s not a fan of crypto right now either so I’ve basically been using my additional monies to get into silver
So now that we know you have entrusted someone to disperse your investments, then it has not been you per se that has been making the decisions. Even though you have a FA, you can be very involved in what you do. After all it is your money so if you are not comfortable with investing now, you could fund your ROTH and tell the FA that it must be kept in cash or cash like equivalents. Your FA may be a fiduciary but they want to get paid as much as possible as well. But remember the most important rule in investing: No one cares more about your money than YOU.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
again Crete, once it goes into a Roth there are no more taxes. It has already been taxed. Just ask Peter Thiel who turned about 2 Grand into 4 BiIL in his Roth. Yes that is Billion with a B
I have a traditional IRA. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I collect yield and sell within my traditional IRA without paying capital gains? If so munis at this point and time are a win win.

I'm seriously considering self directing my IRA due to lack of performance from our PSP director who also manages my IRA. I'm also considering taking a chunk of my PSP since I'm 59&1/2 this month and paying off the mortgage on my last rental to collect $1,200 a month after taxes and insurance which would fund my IRA(sheltering my taxes on the income) and buy me a few more oz of gold per year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just food for thought….10 out of the 14 recessions have occurred on either the 1st year or 4th year of a presidential term….so odds are good we will be in one this year or next
Were already in one and have been for over a year....they are just manipulating the data.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have a traditional IRA. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I collect yield and sell within my traditional IRA without paying capital gains? If so munis at this point and time are a win win.

I'm seriously considering self directing my IRA due to lack of performance from our PSP director who also manages my IRA. I'm also considering taking a chunk of my PSP since I'm 59&1/2 this month and paying off the mortgage on my last rental to collect $1,200 a month after taxes and insurance which would fund my IRA(sheltering my taxes on the income) and buy me a few more oz of gold per year.
Yes you can do whatever you wish within the IRA tax deferred. It is when the money comes out that you are taxed at ordinary rates. In the Roth when you decide to take it out you are taxed at ZERO.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
UEC took a dump today, down 9+%. Lithium stocks took a dump also.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
UEC took a dump today, down 9+%. Lithium stocks took a dump also.
I backed the truck up for this and Sibanye.....NG and silver are going to be YUGE too...
200.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.