Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I am not as excited about Napier, as much as everyone else on this site. I like the effort on the recruiting front, but I hated his coaching. More specifically, I hated his clock management. I think it was the Mizzou game, which we won, that I saw something I have never seen in 45 years on earth.

Clock winding down toward halftime, the other team scrambling to get the field goal unit on the field and has no timeouts left, and Billy calls a time out with like 40 to go in the half. Gave Mizzou plenty of time to get set and kick the field goal.

I know there are other examples of his poor clock management, but that one was fuched up.
You're certainly a big-picture guy. There's no question that overshadowed everything he's doing rebuilding the entire program right now. I have to agree that a questionable timeout in a win against Missouri is at the top of my list, too. I haven't been able to sleep since. Him getting fired for that isn't enough - he needs to be sued by the University and have every asset he's ever earned in his life taken away. I want his children in rags.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think “stacking the cupboard” means as much as it may have years ago. We can have as much talent as possible, but if they can’t coach them up (yet to be determined) and end up getting let go, all that talent can up and leave on a whim now unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you view the transfer portal)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am not as excited about Napier, as much as everyone else on this site. I like the effort on the recruiting front, but I hated his coaching. More specifically, I hated his clock management. I think it was the Mizzou game, which we won, that I saw something I have never seen in 45 years on earth.

Clock winding down toward halftime, the other team scrambling to get the field goal unit on the field and has no timeouts left, and Billy calls a time out with like 40 to go in the half. Gave Mizzou plenty of time to get set and kick the field goal.

I know there are other examples of his poor clock management, but that one was fuched up.
“Karl, you always seem so deep in thought…”

1670869446031.jpeg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don’t think “stacking the cupboard” means as much as it may have years ago. We can have as much talent as possible, but if they can’t coach them up (yet to be determined) and end up getting let go, all that talent can up and leave on a whim now unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you view the transfer portal)
Agreed, especially when the entire cupboard can enter the portal. In that interview someone posted somewhere, Napier said something that I think is very true in the context of social media, the portal, and now NIL... it was something to the effect of "it's not the same as then, this is actually the first class in an entirely new system/era of recruiting" and he was talking about vs. just a few years ago, not the "Bear Bryant days" or even 10 years ago.

Last edited:

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
You're certainly a big-picture guy. There's no question that overshadowed everything he's doing rebuilding the entire program right now. I have to agree that a questionable timeout in a win against Missouri is at the top of my list, too. I haven't been able to sleep since. Him getting fired for that isn't enough - he needs to be sued by the University and have every asset he's ever earned in his life taken away. I want his children in rags.
We are finally in complete agreement

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Kid goes to my daughter's school......I was trying to get her to flip him but it looks like it didn't work :sadnanner:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Kid goes to my daughter's school......I was trying to get her to flip him but it looks like it didn't work :sadnanner:

It’s cool. I’m sure you both gave it your best. Just understand the next time a situation like this comes up, we’re probably going to go in a different direction.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Hard to say even next year will tell us a lot. If we're still giving up 400+ yards of offense then surely that's something to be concerned about but what if it's high 300s?

What are we using for a measuring stick next year? Wins and losses might still be a little bad because of all the young talent we will see playing.
Abysmal defense, lack of effort, poor playcalling, bad game management; start the year with those and I'll be calling for his head recruiting notwithstanding.
Win/loss - with young players, I expect losses early. But by midway thru the season, after taking a few lumps, they should start winning some.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Even RocketCity has thrown in the towel. After all these years, we're finally getting the rebuild we've wanted and everyone is pissed.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like Napier, I think it's too early to know whether the assistant coaches are worth a damn. I'm not convinced any of them should be canned yet. Next year is going to tell us a lot more.
Special teams coach needs to go. Otherwise I agree. Too early to judge.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Maybe that's the problem. Too many hands in the cookie jar.

I don’t disagree. But he has already come out and said that they’ve had success doing that in the past and they’ll continue with it. I don’t think it’s the reason we lost any games(VU maybe, but not really), so if that were to change next season and be a true fly in the ointment, maybe he shifts his position. But I’d expect that to continue.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Special teams coach needs to go. Otherwise I agree. Too early to judge.
"Game Changers"
No Way Wow GIF by Manchester United

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator