Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
How long are those kids going to ride the bench for money though? The NFL is where the real bucks are and if they never get playing time they're going to leave.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
That’s what has Nick Saban upset - he’s seeing all of his carefully constructed advantages fade.

Those pieces have shifted in value but I think they still matter. The Gator brand, our TV exposure, relevance in various media markets etc. enhances a player’s brand. The facilities and staff all demonstrate that we’re big time. Also, coaching them up on the importance of building lasting value through performance and acquiring skills/education to build on the opportunities football provides for post-playing careers matters a ton.

Many of these players will get initially dazzled by money but it evaporates pretty quickly if you don’t learn how to manage and build on it. What happens during recruiting? These coaches and other staff talk to the elite players every day. The great recruiters build the relationship by talking about every aspect of life. And the top recruits appear to appreciate that. Expending their understanding of long term value and opportunity over quick $$$ is huge.

The big programs will look equivalent on those points and it will come down to relationship and feel. The $$$ matter a lot, too, of course. But does a free agent go purely for the contract or for the organization and opportunity to compete for championships? It varies by player but you absolutely want to be an organization that attracts them both in recruiting and the transfer portal.
I really think you have nailed it. What you have said is consistent with what I heard from BN last month when he spoke to the Gator club in Lakeland. When he was discussing the type of person they will recruit he did not talk about how many stars they have or how big their NIL deal would be. He put four words on the overhead in this order; Character, Knowledge, Practice, Talent. A direct quote "it's all about character as better people make better teammates and will help the program achieve our goals." He is clearly a man of extremely high principle and character who holds himself and other accountable. He wants intelligent players not just on the field but in life and he made it clear to the booster as they do to recruits and family if you come to Florida it's a commitment from us to provide learning events and an opportunity for the recruit to arrive on campus an adolescent and leave a grown man with the life skills to succeed. He mentioned life skills multiple times throughout the night. He focused on a few of the thing they do to create life skills including taking a group of players to Greece this summer to get International exposure. Practice is much broader than a day in pads it's all the things they do to prepare for life after football and for Saturday's in the fall. They determine if the recruit has the character some knowledge and has shown the ability to practice being solid before they check off the talent box.

He will not recruit or offer thugs or self centered dickheads is my takeaway and I don't think he really cares what recruiting services say after watching edited clips of a HS kid mashing inferior opponents. So I left convinced this is a man I would want one of my grandsons to play for and I will enjoy watching his disciplined teams composed of solid citizens represent UF on Saturdays and every other day of the year. Is this the right model in today's world or should BN be transported back in time? Don't know but I will take this team over the BS of a Jimbo Fisher any freekiing day.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I think you've misunderstood me. I'm aware that Napier has had a plan for NIL from the jump. I watched the presser. But I don't think Napier or anyone else for that matter thought that paying players would take off like this. I don't have a problem at all with building a big staff and catching up on facilities. My point is at the end of the day a kids are gonna choose money over everything else. And I hope Napier will be shifting his biggest focus is on raising money for players if it isn't already.

Napier isn't going to recruit those kids

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If riding the bench with pay, can they afford to leave and fall into obscurity.? Not noticed by the NFL.?
Is the USFL a reasonable cash magnet.? How's the CFL doing financially.?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
What kid's not gonna take as much money as he can?
I did not say that. Nor did I say UF won't be involved in NIL because they will. Read my post from listening to BN in Lakeland it was clear to me he isn't recruiting mercenaries. It might work, it might not work, it's a NWO in collegiate sports and our coach is recruiting kids who have character and want to develop life skills not more gold chains.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Then in about 4 years we are going to be looking for another head coach.
Maybe, or possibly in four years there won't be collegiate sports just a system of various professional leagues like they have with soccer in Europe. I'm just repeating my take on what I heard the man say.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I really think you have nailed it. What you have said is consistent with what I heard from BN last month when he spoke to the Gator club in Lakeland. When he was discussing the type of person they will recruit he did not talk about how many stars they have or how big their NIL deal would be. He put four words on the overhead in this order; Character, Knowledge, Practice, Talent. A direct quote "it's all about character as better people make better teammates and will help the program achieve our goals." He is clearly a man of extremely high principle and character who holds himself and other accountable. He wants intelligent players not just on the field but in life and he made it clear to the booster as they do to recruits and family if you come to Florida it's a commitment from us to provide learning events and an opportunity for the recruit to arrive on campus an adolescent and leave a grown man with the life skills to succeed. He mentioned life skills multiple times throughout the night. He focused on a few of the thing they do to create life skills including taking a group of players to Greece this summer to get International exposure. Practice is much broader than a day in pads it's all the things they do to prepare for life after football and for Saturday's in the fall. They determine if the recruit has the character some knowledge and has shown the ability to practice being solid before they check off the talent box.

He will not recruit or offer thugs or self centered dickheads is my takeaway and I don't think he really cares what recruiting services say after watching edited clips of a HS kid mashing inferior opponents. So I left convinced this is a man I would want one of my grandsons to play for and I will enjoy watching his disciplined teams composed of solid citizens represent UF on Saturdays and every other day of the year. Is this the right model in today's world or should BN be transported back in time? Don't know but I will take this team over the BS of a Jimbo Fisher any freekiing day.

So what you’re saying is BN is going after all the 5 stars and we gettin errybody…am I right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.