Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
"Great moments in GC History" Proudly Presents...
Hmm.. We Call them 'Crete' and overlook the ten lb water head they're carrying around? OK.. OK...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Cormani McClain just announced that he’s pushing back until the end of the year.
We're building facilities and hiring off the field coaches that don't even matter any more. At the end of the day, NIL is all that matters. If I'm Napier, me and my staff shift our recruiting efforts from players to boosters. Relationships , scheme, opportunity or any of it mean absolutely dick anymore. Anybody with any sense would be changing how they approach recruiting right now.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
We're building facilities and hiring off the field coaches that don't even matter any more. At the end of the day, NIL is all that matters. If I'm Napier, me and my staff shift our recruiting efforts from players to boosters. Relationships , scheme, opportunity or any of it mean absolutely dick anymore. Anybody with any sense would be changing how they approach recruiting right now.

I think he has already done that. He called them out in his first presser when he took the job. The whole 'everybody has roles' thing he said.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think he has already done that. He called them out in his first presser when he took the job. The whole 'everybody has roles' thing he said.
This is obviously uncharted territory. And I'm sure they're doing all they can as far as raising money. But when he was 1st hired the big focus was having a big staff full of recruiters and catch up on facilities. Wich would have been nice 5-10 years ago. But I don't think Napier and Co expected NIL to take off like this. If he did, he would have put a bigger emphasis on that NIL staff rather than a big off the field staff.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
A dollar short and a day late?
Dec 21st we'll know.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

That’s what has Nick Saban upset - he’s seeing all of his carefully constructed advantages fade.

Those pieces have shifted in value but I think they still matter. The Gator brand, our TV exposure, relevance in various media markets etc. enhances a player’s brand. The facilities and staff all demonstrate that we’re big time. Also, coaching them up on the importance of building lasting value through performance and acquiring skills/education to build on the opportunities football provides for post-playing careers matters a ton.

Many of these players will get initially dazzled by money but it evaporates pretty quickly if you don’t learn how to manage and build on it. What happens during recruiting? These coaches and other staff talk to the elite players every day. The great recruiters build the relationship by talking about every aspect of life. And the top recruits appear to appreciate that. Expending their understanding of long term value and opportunity over quick $$$ is huge.

The big programs will look equivalent on those points and it will come down to relationship and feel. The $$$ matter a lot, too, of course. But does a free agent go purely for the contract or for the organization and opportunity to compete for championships? It varies by player but you absolutely want to be an organization that attracts them both in recruiting and the transfer portal.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s what has Nick Saban upset - he’s seeing all of his carefully constructed advantages fade.

Those pieces have shifted in value but I think they still matter. The Gator brand, our TV exposure, relevance in various media markets etc. enhances a player’s brand. The facilities and staff all demonstrate that we’re big time. Also, coaching them up on the importance of building lasting value through performance and acquiring skills/education to build on the opportunities football provides for post-playing careers matters a ton.

Many of these players will get initially dazzled by money but it evaporates pretty quickly if you don’t learn how to manage and build on it. What happens during recruiting? These coaches and other staff talk to the elite players every day. The great recruiters build the relationship by talking about every aspect of life. And the top recruits appear to appreciate that. Expending their understanding of long term value and opportunity over quick $$$ is huge.

The big programs will look equivalent on those points and it will come down to relationship and feel. The $$$ matter a lot, too, of course. But does a free agent go purely for the contract or for the organization and opportunity to compete for championships? It varies by player but you absolutely want to be an organization that attracts them both in recruiting and the transfer portal.

Napier just talked about this at one of his stops in Pensacola. Said he’s built a staff around NIL to help teach them about finances, taxes, and money management.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

If I understand it, the athletic staff cannot be involved in NIL negotiations. Only the player and the autonomous payer, separate from the university. I think it would violate NCAA rules (I know, who cares) for an athletic staffer to facilitate NIL contracts.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If I understand it, the athletic staff cannot be involved in NIL negotiations. Only the player and the autonomous payer, separate from the university. I think it would violate NCAA rules (I know, who cares) for an athletic staffer to facilitate NIL contracts.

Don't kid yourself. There will be back chanels

But since you brought up the NCAA...Is it not time to disband them for a commissioner?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
"Rules" :bwahaha:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I think it would violate NCAA rules (I know, who cares) for an athletic staffer to facilitate NIL contracts.

Perhaps, but Napier, and every coach, are coordinating or directly telling the NIL payor what is required for a specific player. That was the most BS part of jimbo’s tirade, when he said he was ignorant to what his collective is doing.

Don't kid yourself. There will be back chanels

Exactly. Or, not even back channels. Boosters/NIL sponsors just called directly by the coaching staff.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
This is obviously uncharted territory. And I'm sure they're doing all they can as far as raising money. But when he was 1st hired the big focus was having a big staff full of recruiters and catch up on facilities. Wich would have been nice 5-10 years ago. But I don't think Napier and Co expected NIL to take off like this. If he did, he would have put a bigger emphasis on that NIL staff rather than a big off the field staff.

Where are you coming up with this narrative because I dont think its really anywhere reality. From day one he sent out a message to the boosters and fans that he needed our help and got the NIL game rolling. Go listen to his first presser...its his words stating exactly what you think he missed. Furthermore, why in the world can't he build a big staff AND get the boosters/fans inline to support? How do you have one without the other. You don't scour through the recruits doing evaluations without the money to go get them and vice versa. Im not trying to pick a fight here or anything, but I think you are wrong in thinking he hasn't placed a large emphasis on raising funds and to be totally honest, I don't see any signs that we haven't raised funds. Jackson wasn't worth the money and Lole is a muLLLLLLLen special (great player who can't qualify).

You dont even have to listen carefully...its pretty obvious what he is saying.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Apparently, Jaden Rashada will be unofficially visiting next week and will take an official visit in June.

Coach working this guy and his father hard. They are setting up a visit now. Some very positive comments from them about Florida.

We haven’t locked that in yet but we will hopefully in a matter of days.

I think from a football standpoint, just watching what he did at Louisiana from quarterback development and just winning, I mean the guy is a winner. I mean, he’s got a little grit to him. He shadows the quarterbacks, coaches the position and we’ve been talking to him a little bit and quarterbacks analyst Ryan O’Hara and they’re just in line with quarterback development which is huge.

I know with Jaden, he’s pretty aware of how that effects your ability to assimilate the offensive culture of the team. It’s one thing to have a coordinator who coaches the quarterbacks but to have a head coach that actually coaches the quarterback position, I think that’s about as intimate and as in-depth of a connection with the coach and a quarterback that you could have. That’s pretty unique and I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

With Jaden, we talk about those kinds of things but I think his outlook on everything is he knows no matter where he goes, he has to compete. I know they’ve got some good quarterbacks in the room at Florida and a lot of the schools he’s looking at do and I think he’d be one of them. The bottom line is really where the development is and hopefully, you get lined up where you’re development peaks with opportunity and whether that’s right away or two years down the line, it just depends. There’s some thought to it but he’s got to compete wherever he goes.

With the top-six, it’s a little interesting because I know some of that was already in the works before Florida got in with us. They’ll definitely have the potential to have some dark-horse efforts in that top six.

I think Florida has the potential to be in his top-two. We need to get down there and we’re still building a great relationship but the relationship part with Florida is pretty new but it’s pretty good. I anticipate Florida will move to the top of his situation.

Just in general, there’s been a lot of information that I’ve gotten about Florida. Now, we haven’t been there but, of course, Jaden had a brief stint at IMG, so he’s familiar with the state but we haven’t been to Florida. From what I hear, it’s a great campus, big-time football in the SEC and even academically, they’re one of the better academic institutions in the country. I’m pretty excited about the energy they have around that program and where they’re going. I think they’re going to be one of the programs to watch in the SEC.

We made his top 6...err 7. He was going to release a top 6 today but they stretched it to 7 to put Florida in there.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Where are you coming up with this narrative because I dont think its really anywhere reality. From day one he sent out a message to the boosters and fans that he needed our help and got the NIL game rolling. Go listen to his first presser...its his words stating exactly what you think he missed. Furthermore, why in the world can't he build a big staff AND get the boosters/fans inline to support? How do you have one without the other. You don't scour through the recruits doing evaluations without the money to go get them and vice versa. Im not trying to pick a fight here or anything, but I think you are wrong in thinking he hasn't placed a large emphasis on raising funds and to be totally honest, I don't see any signs that we haven't raised funds. Jackson wasn't worth the money and Lole is a muLLLLLLLen special (great player who can't qualify).

You dont even have to listen carefully...its pretty obvious what he is saying.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm aware that Napier has had a plan for NIL from the jump. I watched the presser. But I don't think Napier or anyone else for that matter thought that paying players would take off like this. I don't have a problem at all with building a big staff and catching up on facilities. My point is at the end of the day a kids are gonna choose money over everything else. And I hope Napier will be shifting his biggest focus is on raising money for players if it isn't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.