Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
2020 was a lesson in piss poor recruiting and disastrous staffing. If we had just 1 of those 2 in good shape we likely beat bama and play for a title.

Agreed. Some measure of balance on that roster, along with a better DC, and we could’ve been a NC team. You could really argue that with 2019 as well. Back to back seasons we were close enough to eventual champs that if Mullen hadn’t been so lazy and hadn’t bucked conventional wisdom with staff hiring a, we could’ve been there. Not sure I’ve ever seen a coach completely squander a window like Mullen did.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Boring!!!!!

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm from Joe, and he's really suggesting this video shows an exciting offense. But, I'm not sure he watched it or Florida the last 4 years. I am hopeful for Napier long term, and very excited short term for any offense with AR15, but this video is not support of an exciting offense. Other than 3 go routes, there was really one downfield pass with a moving receiver that could be call an "exciting" or non"boring" offense. That is at the 3:30 mark. But, otherwise, this looks just like most HS offenses being run in Florida. That said, there doesn't seem to be much going on along the bench trail, perhaps because no one can get through, so I get Joe's reaction.
And again...muLLLLLLLen isn't calling a bunch of QB left, QB right and QB rotation BS every 3rd series or once we get in the red zone. I know this part is more of a preference thing but I don't mind that we are going to set up the pass with the run either. I really like watching a powerful running game too. Napier's offense isn't sideways either.

Im just happy we aren't running muLLLLLLen's offense anymore.

I hope you are right, but the video Joe posted IS Mullen's offense. It's 95% zone read, RPO, with simple short route schemes combined with go routes. Maybe I missed a nuance, but what did you see in this that is not Mullen-esque? Maybe there is other video (I admittedly have not studied it). In addition to the route combos, RPO, zone read scheme, the offense also relied on a lot of 1 v 1 matchups that required his player to simply win a battle. It wasn't outscheming open receivers. Virtually no one is very open in the whole video. That mindset is almost exactly Mullen-ball and requires that you recruit those guys to win the 1 v 1 battle you are playing to attack.

To this recruiting thread, and how the offense/scheme impacts recruiting, I have no idea how much these HS really kids can differentiate schemes if they don't have a great advisor helping them. Otherwise, every staff can put together some film/highlights of how they will supposedly use a player.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone with any football acumen and an IQ above room temp knew from the Sunday morning he was announced, that mullen was going to be a freaking disaster for our program. I personally think stricklin should have been canned right along side him. If we are perennially 8-4/5 to 10-2/3 under Napier he needs to walk right along with him. He's a pathetic excuse for an AD and probably letting foley continue to influence his decisions.

I absolutely hated how the search that ended on mullen was conducted. It showed him to be unprepared and not willing to do what was required to land who he wanted. But it also showed if he had landed either of his initial picks, we still would have ended up with a crappy coach. Second time around he hired the first guy he interviewed and never even spoke to anyone else despite numerous media reports that there was some fairly proven P5 HCs indicating interest. Dont know if those reports are true, and if Napier ends up being great it doesnt matter and he'll look like a genius. But if Nap doesnt work out, he looks like a freaking dumbass. If Nape isnt the answer then Stricklin needs to go. Period.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We are firmly second-tier now behind Georgia, Alabama, and probably A&M at this point. It's not a knock, just reality. No reason we can't win 10 games a year with an occasional trip to the SEC Championship Game, but don't look for us to be a staple in the playoffs unless/until expansion. Every now and then the stars may align where we're able to steal a QB such as AR, who can singlehandedly bump us to a NC. If we keep striking out on 5* recruits, look for us to try and fill the roster with 4*'s on the two deep and hope to win in the trenches and with defense + special teams.

We aren't a bad team/program; just not top-tier anymore.
So, there are about 120 D1 schools. Top tier is top 60. Is that what you mean? Or top 25?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Anyone with any football acumen and an IQ above room temp knew from the Sunday morning he was announced, that mullen was going to be a freaking disaster for our program. I personally think stricklin should have been canned right along side him. If we are perennially 8-4/5 to 10-2/3 under Napier he needs to walk right along with him. He's a pathetic excuse for an AD and probably letting foley continue to influence his decisions.

I absolutely hated how the search that ended on mullen was conducted. It showed him to be unprepared and not willing to do what was required to land who he wanted. But it also showed if he had landed either of his initial picks, we still would have ended up with a crappy coach. Second time around he hired the first guy he interviewed and never even spoke to anyone else despite numerous media reports that there was some fairly proven P5 HCs indicating interest. Dont know if those reports are true, and if Napier ends up being great it doesnt matter and he'll look like a genius. But if Nap doesnt work out, he looks like a freaking dumbass. If Nape isnt the answer then Stricklin needs to go. Period.

As I've said for years...Mullen was not my choice. I knew a MSU Alumnus who hated Mullen... so bad he gave up his seats and quit donating.
I gave him a shot and thought he changed at first...NOT

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
152 pages in this thread and still almost 6 months before ANYONE signs ANYWHERE.

laser pointer GIF

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Why? What happened?
Because he’s told us to eff off or is there a reason WDWHA?

I dont know. There is a thread on tos talking about the OL board. Blake listed out all the targets in a reply with some info on where he thinks they stand at the moment and no reason was given. There is a lot of others posting some reasons but its just known arguing types saying off the cuff comments. We may not have backed off and he might of backed off from us. His IG hasn't been UF positive in a while. Kid could just be going through his OVs and enjoying it too. I kinda lean to what Blake is saying more so though and it sure seems like that on his social media.

I hope he is part of the class. Our OL class is kinda wonky right now. Looks like Kinsler is about to bounce (some might be happy but I think he is better than his ranking) and sounding like Kirkland aint coming. Pretty sure Maulgoi probably is a no (July 4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.