Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bored Cookie Monster GIF

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
In 1990, the Gators won the SEC championship, but we had to give it up and we were disappointed (I'm pi55ed they took the '84 championship away) and some are likely still upset that that we lost our only undefeated season when we lost in the 2009 SEC Championship Game. Like most of you "I Love the Gators" and when things don't go our (fans) way it's discouraging.

Galen Hall was a disciplinarian who never had a losing season; despite scholarship reductions from NCAA sanctions and starting with an unproven backup QB, he went 9-1-1. He also started with Charlie Pell's disciplined blue chippers and an unproven, walk-on, backup QB, Kerwin Bell. We also had great recruiters and highly rated walk-ons during Galen's tenure. Emmitt was recruited by this group.

So, when Spurrier got to be the HBC he too had talent on his roster, but he was a disciplinarian also. Disciplined players led to winning 4 of the first 5 SEC Championship games and our first Natty: all in his 6th year.

Well, after the HBC, the discipline that was once a hall mark of athletes became less important to Florida football. Flying stolen computers (as in Super Cam) were casual acts of larceny and, even though we won, what was the cost?

Now, after 2 decades, we have another disciplinarian as head coach. Unfortunately, unlike Hall or Spurrier, there is an existing undisciplined group of players. During the first part of the season, I saw a descent team that played until the clock expired. However, later it seemed that some of those players who could not follow coaches or rules were disciplined; many complied but we all saw that they were not putting in the effort on game day. So, we had serious holes in defense and our offense sputtered to say the least.

Maybe it's the NIL, but IMO, players are transferring, because, as with any new coach, it takes a greater effort from players than these guys were willing to give, but this could be a good thing. We got a great recruiting class for 2023, and it looks like 2024 might shape up well for us also. I have heard: "Train them while they're young and not set in their ways". And get those portal upper classmen who bring experience from all over.

Though the grapevine, I have heard Napier may add as many as 40+ new players, recruits and transfers, for 2023. We will see. But if I can count on a team that improves in blocking assignments, routes running, passing accuracy, coverage and linebacker play (Yeah, the whole game), I will be one happy chatterer.

Although I don't expect better that a 7-5 season in 2023, I would welcome anything better, but improvement and recruiting athletes that want to play for the Gators is the key.

Napier made a lot of headway into recruiting Florida high schoolers, and he signed nearly all his committed players. Yes, we had a disastrous season and we can be unhappy with the results, but the ship must be righted. Players with the discipline to execute can do this for us, if they have the right guy at the helm. Until I see otherwise, I, for one, will give Napier that opportunity.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
In 1990, the Gators won the SEC championship, but we had to give it up and we were disappointed (I'm pi55ed they took the '84 championship away) and some are likely still upset that that we lost our only undefeated season until we lost in the 2009 SEC Championship Game. Like most of you "I Love the Gators" and when things don't go our (fans) way it's discouraging.

Galen Hall was a disciplinarian who never had a losing season; despite scholarship reductions from NCAA sanctions and starting with an unproven backup QB, he went 9-1-1. He also started with Charlie Pell's disciplined blue chippers and an unproven, walk-on, backup QB, Kerwin Bell. We also had great recruiters and highly rated walk-ons during Galen's tenure. Emmitt was recruited by this group.

So, when Spurrier got to be the HBC he too had talent on his roster, but he was a disciplinarian also. Disciplined players led to winning 4 of the first 5 SEC Championship games and our first Natty: all in his 6th year.

Well, after the HBC, the discipline that was once a hall mark of athletes became less important to Florida football. Flying stolen computers (as in Super Cam) were casual acts of larceny and, even though we won, what was the cost?

Now, after 2 decades, we have another disciplinarian as head coach. Unfortunately, unlike Hall or Spurrier, there is an existing undisciplined group of players. During the first part of the season, I saw a descent team that played until the clock expired. However, later it seemed that some of those players who could not follow coaches or rules were disciplined; many complied but we all saw that they were not putting in the effort on game day. So, we had serious holes in defense and our offense sputtered to say the least.

Maybe it's the NIL, but IMO, players are transferring, because, as with any new coach, it takes a greater effort from players than these guys were willing to give, but this could be a good thing. We got a great recruiting class for 2023, and it looks like 2024 might shape up well for us also. I have heard: "Train them while they're young and not set in their ways". And get those portal upper classmen who bring experience from all over.

Though the grapevine, I have heard Napier may add as many as 40+ new players, recruits and transfers, for 2023. We will see. But if I can count on a team that improves in blocking assignments, routes running, passing accuracy, coverage and linebacker play (Yeah, the whole game), I will be one happy chatterer.

Although I don't expect better that a 7-5 season in 2023, I would welcome anything better, but improvement and recruiting athletes that want to play for the Gators is the key.

Napier made a lot of headway into recruiting Florida high schoolers, and he signed nearly all his committed players. Yes, we had a disastrous season and we can be unhappy with the results, but the ship must be righted. Players with the discipline to execute can do this for us, if they have the right guy at the helm. Until I see otherwise, I, for one, will give Napier that opportunity.
Very well said
The Muppets Agree GIF by ABC Network

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
In 1990, the Gators won the SEC championship, but we had to give it up and we were disappointed (I'm pi55ed they took the '84 championship away) and some are likely still upset that that we lost our only undefeated season when we lost in the 2009 SEC Championship Game. Like most of you "I Love the Gators" and when things don't go our (fans) way it's discouraging.

I’m not sure what Galen would have done with this Roster.
There would have been a lot of pissed of players but, since Galen was before NIL, who knows what he could have made out of this team.

Having said that, Spurrier would have gone no worse than 8-4.
The problem here is the buy in.

Players bought in to Spurrier because of the offense, the arrogance and the we will win every damned game, and punish our opponents while doing it.

Who the hell wants to buy into “the process”.
My God, did anyone watch the pre game speech in the bowl game??

Mr Napier may turn into a fine coach some day.

But this lack of focus on rivalry games, this mono tone demeanor, this boring as hell personality just doesn’t fit for big time college football.

Most successful college coaches at this level have an edge.
Their teams play on an emotional edge.
We always did under Spurrier,, we had swagger.
Urbs brought the swagger back and we haven’t had it since he left.

Watch the playoffs this weekend.
Even TCU will be sky high and playing with an edge.

Not just going through the motions and trusting the process.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Well, many of us said that it needed to be Burnt to the ground and rebuilt. Seeing McClellan's take proves some of what you stated in your post on the discipline, preferential treatment. What comes to mind DA Roof, DA Roof, DA Roof is on Fire, we don't need no water let the MF Burn.
:couch:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I don't think any of us have a bead on who Napier really is. So far he's proven he can open up the recruiting channels and pull more blue chips than anybody that's worked here, with the downside being he shockingly sucks as a gameday coach. I can't push my head much further than Sucks on the Sidelines. This is the basis for being a good coach, you MUST understand everything on the field and the game overall to make good calls and guide your team to victory. Love my Gators and strongly want Napier to succeed bigtime here. I'm asking myself why don't any of our present/past muti-million dolla coaches have a solid head on their shoulders without an additional hole in the head where all the knowledge falls out at any given moment

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
shut up
one in construction and two lawyers
meet up next season at a game and I will introduce you
You're going to renew your season tickets? I am sorry but, after 12 years of terrible football I am not going to renew my season tickets - unless my wife insists I do as I am tired of watching second-tier coaches who have no clue.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I heard yesterday from a good friend that Napier is also getting push back from a "faith based" approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.