Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
We are NOT in the middle of a MASSIVE rebuild.
This is the Portal era. It doesn't take three full recruiting classes to turn a roster.
Hell, Year two, regardless of what kind of roster a coach is left with, is the big turnaround year. At least, year two was the barometer around here before.
What we have in year two, is Dog shiiit.

We aren't even mediocre. We are a BAD football team. In year two.
Good football teams with competent head coaches make great strides in year two and don't lay eggs at Kentucky and Jacksonville.
Not only are we not improved in year two, we are regressing.
Please name year 2 coaches that beat the number 1 team in the nation

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
If only he wasn’t a head case who can’t handle the pressure of a major college program. I will be forever grateful for what he did for UF
I agree, but I was answering a specific question. Second year coaches that beat number one teams.

Meyer did it in 2006 beating #1 Ohio St.

The Honorable Tommy Tuberville did it in his second year at Texas Tech (unranked), beating Oklahoma.

Jim Tressel at OSU beating Miami.

Jim Harbaugh did it his first year at Stanford (unranked, I believe) beating USC.

It doesn't happen often as far as I can tell, but it happens. I haven't looked at all #1 team losses in the recent past, these are just some I recall and verified.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would make both Kendal Briles and Scott Frost say no before looking any further.

Heck, he could hire Frost right now as an analyst, get some input for the rest of this season, and dry him out (like Sarkisian at Bama) and make him OC/QB coach next year.
You want those two?????

They are worse than what we have.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is the Portal era. It doesn't take three full recruiting classes to turn a roster.
Hell, Year two, regardless of what kind of roster a coach is left with, is the big turnaround year. At least, year two was the barometer around here before.

Good football teams with competent head coaches make great strides in year two and don't lay eggs at Kentucky and Jacksonville.
We aren't regressing.

Maybe you should step away from Gator football for a while, it's not good for your health.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
If only he wasn’t a head case who can’t handle the pressure of a major college program. I will be forever grateful for what he did for UF

Seems as if he handled the pressure much better at OSU. Michigan fans won't admit they were excited when Meyer left. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Fisher at A&M.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
I agree, but I was answering a specific question. Second year coaches that beat number one teams.

Meyer did it in 2006 beating #1 Ohio St.

The Honorable Tommy Tuberville did it in his second year at Texas Tech (unranked), beating Oklahoma.

Jim Tressel at OSU beating Miami.

Jim Harbaugh did it his first year at Stanford (unranked, I believe) beating USC.

It doesn't happen often as far as I can tell, but it happens. I haven't looked at all #1 team losses in the recent past, these are just some I recall and verified.
In the 2008 championship year, I believe the Gators beat No1 Bama and then a month later beat then No 1 Oklahoma. Could be wrong but that sticks in my mind.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Seems as if he handled the pressure much better at OSU. Michigan fans won't admit they were excited when Meyer left. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Fisher at A&M.
If he has learned to manage his obsessive behavior he might be an interesting hire at A&M. Mike Elko is another strong candidate to replace the grifter Jimbo when his sent packing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Brandon Spikes said there’s only one job Meyer would even consider.
Notre Dame Nd GIF by Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
In the 2008 championship year, I believe the Gators beat No1 Bama and then a month later beat then No 1 Oklahoma. Could be wrong but that sticks in my mind.
True, but that was Meyer's fourth year here.

The question was posed to make it seem impossible for Billy, in his second year, to beat the #1 team. It is neither impossible, nor likely, but he wasn't even close.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I’d be stunned if Urbs took that job. College Station is not for him and he knows it. If, and it’s a big if, he ever gets back in coaching there are only a few programs I suspect he’d consider. Notre Dame being top on that list.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Miles ahead of last year.

Mostly inexperienced guys playing. Some of our fan base just sucks ass.

In their defense, I think the majority of the fans are great fans who are simply over the last 15 years. I also think we naturally romanticize about the past which only adds to the current perception issues. It’s taking a toll, and you can see in their demeanor. Law can’t even post here anymore. Guys like @Gatorbait25 amd @GatorInGeorgia are some of my favorite posters, and last night they got full-blown militant with me when I broke out an excel spreadsheet and Wikipedia. I didn’t sleep a wink, and was thinking about reinforcing my home with foot soldiers like in Godfather, in case they somehow pinged my phone. Again, though, they’ve been great fans throughout this whole disaster. It wasn’t them that made the horrendous hires and status on the course we were set on. So I get it.

I think their gripe about a loss like Uk this year holds water. There’s no real defending it. But I do agree that we are playing worlds better this year across-the-board, even yesterday. The problem isn’t our own “rebuild”. It’s what has been allowed to be created in Tuscaloosa, and now in Athens. It’s no coincidence that the ones here who follow recruiting the closest, are actually some of the most levelheaded after games like yesterday. When you watched this building for eight or more years, you realize just how big a hole we are in in comparison to teams like yesterday. Even the casual recruiting observer notices that every other player on teams like georgia are names that I recognize and wanted in previous classes. The whole thing got away from us and it’s gonna take some time to get it back.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
In their defense, I think the majority of the fans are great fans who are simply over the last 15 years. I also think we naturally romanticize about the past which only adds to the current perception issues. It’s taking a toll, and you can see in their demeanor. Law can’t even post here anymore. Guys like @Gatorbait25 amd @GatorInGeorgia are some of my favorite posters, and last night they got full-blown militant with me when I broke out an excel spreadsheet and Wikipedia. I didn’t sleep a wink, and was thinking about reinforcing my home with foot soldiers like in Godfather, in case they somehow pinged my phone. Again, though, they’ve been great fans throughout this whole disaster. It wasn’t them that made the horrendous hires and status on the course we were set on. So I get it.

I think their gripe about a loss like Uk this year holds water. There’s no real defending it. But I do agree that we are playing worlds better this year across-the-board, even yesterday. The problem isn’t our own “rebuild”. It’s what has been allowed to be created in Tuscaloosa, and now in Athens. It’s no coincidence that the ones here who follow recruiting the closest, are actually some of the most levelheaded after games like yesterday. When you watched this building for eight or more years, you realize just how big a hole we are in in comparison to teams like yesterday. Even the casual recruiting observer notices that every other player on teams like georgia are names that I recognize and wanted in previous classes. The whole thing got away from us and it’s gonna take some time to get it back.
The other thing that really stood out to me - again - is the difference in their lines and ours. They were down one of their better OL and didn’t miss him at all. Year after year of #1 classes will do that. I love our current class, but my excitement is tempered by teo things: 1) the haul currently includes only one blue chip OL and 2) Ugly’s class is rated higher.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Not sure why the down votes. Staff has four more game and hopefully a bowl to make their case.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I made it to your backyard and peered thru your windows. I could have entered your house with my stealth Ninja skills and finished you off but realized, by & large, you’re a pretty good guy, despite your obvious obliviousness about the subject we batted back & forth. So I let you live.

You’re welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.