4-8 ....convince me otherwise

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I predicted 5 wins this year with a best-case scenario of 7 wins but ... After the Utah game I am good with the 4 wins projection.

This is what happens when you continually hire the "Diamond in the Rough" coach rather than a proven winner.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Defense only gave up 200 yards after that first lucky play. There's a bright spot. I think they could be damn good as the year goes on, and great next season. Things like lining up, etc, are correctable.

As for the offense. :ugh: We have to establish a run or we're totally DOA. It's not fair for any QB to stand back there waiting to get killed.

The most disturbing part of all to me is the special teams, which have been AWFUL since Urban Meyer left. Coach after coach, it doesn't matter, we have idiots fielding punts inside the 5. It's completely baffling. How freaking hard is it to let a ball go? The "two #3's" penalty was the turning point in the game and is one of the most inexcusable coaching gaffes I've ever seen.

Very, very disappointing.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
In addition to everything that has been said, who the F in Billy's army of personnel is responsible for cleats? We were slipping and sliding all night long.

His preparation for this game was a total failure.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Wow, I'm dejected. The confidence I had in Napier before this season and everything I thought would change going forward, just completely gone.
This is year two.
You just can't field a confused team with players out of position and slow to react on national tv in front of the entire nation.
Couple that with the horrible coaching miscues, and our entire program looks like a damned bunch of bumbling fools.

Now, we have to sit through a cup cake next week, hoping we can even win that one, while Tennessee looms.

That Utah team we played last night wasn't very good. That team isn't winning the Pac 12 this year. Especially, without Rising.

Everything I thought Napier would bring, just isn't there. A well prepared, focused, intense, hard hitting team that plays with fire and desire to win.
Last night, was worse than Muschamp.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Defense only gave up 200 yards after that first lucky play. There's a bright spot. I think they could be damn good as the year goes on, and great next season. Things like lining up, etc, are correctable.

As for the offense. :ugh: We have to establish a run or we're totally DOA. It's not fair for any QB to stand back there waiting to get killed.

The most disturbing part of all to me is the special teams, which have been AWFUL since Urban Meyer left. Coach after coach, it doesn't matter, we have idiots fielding punts inside the 5. It's completely baffling. How freaking hard is it to let a ball go? The "two #3's" penalty was the turning point in the game and is one of the most inexcusable coaching gaffes I've ever seen.

Very, very disappointing.
I can't count the times the Defense was standing there waiting for the call to come in from the sidelines, while Utah's offense was lined up and over the ball.
I would like to think that's going to change as the season progresses, but, given our deficit in coaching, I doubt it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What was lucky about it? My eyes saw a corner get beat and a safety preoccupied with colliding with said corner.
It wasn't a pass, it was a freaking PUNT that hung in the air for six days. It's intercepted by any other defense in the nation.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't count the times the Defense was standing there waiting for the call to come in from the sidelines, while Utah's offense was lined up and over the ball.
I would like to think that's going to change as the season progresses, but, given our deficit in coaching, I doubt it.
I think Armstrong could be a good DC. Too early to tell. We'll see if the team learns from their mistakes.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It wasn't a pass, it was a freaking PUNT that hung in the air for six days. It's intercepted by any other defense in the nation.

That is correct. And our secondary STILL looked lost. What does that say?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz was put in a lousy position, basically thrown to the wolves. He could have turtled up, but he passed his brains out all the way to the end. Maybe he can build on that.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That Utah team we played last night wasn't very good. That team isn't winning the Pac 12 this year. Especially, without Rising.
Don't forget how badly the Pac 12 sucks

Just like last year, Utah is about the same as Kentucky. Buckle up for a long season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That is correct. And our secondary STILL looked lost. What does that say?
The secondary looked a lot better after that play. I'm not going to trash a defense that only gave up 270 yards. They at least showed some good potential.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Defense did seem stingier against the run most of the night, and seemed to tackle better. Disappointed they didn’t seem to get consistent pressure on the QB. Not sure if they got a sack at all.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It’s just very disappointing because all the self inflicted errors we made. We play a clean game and we likely win. Even when Utah’s QB tried to give us a fumble inside their 10, we screwed that up as well.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The secondary looked a lot better after that play. I'm not going to trash a defense that only gave up 270 yards. They at least showed some good potential.

Those were 270 misleading yards in that they included a number of damaging big plays where our people were way out of position.

We outgained the opponent and yet for the most part looked dominated on the field. Loved Herbstreit's comment that we looked bigger and slower. :lol:

Schwifty

Sep 4, 2016
I’m still holding out hope for .500 or better. Team showed flashes last night and if (a big if) they can gel they could have an upward trajectory rather than a downward spiral (but this is also coach dependent).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If the defense had a hard time lining up in time against methodical Utah, wait till we play Tenn.
Heupel and Milton at the thought of this
im horny jack nicholson GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.