"Administrative problem" caused the two early TO's vs. UGA?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry I was unclear. Top 6 in the American. If he rolls up his sleeves, I'm sure he can land a better class than Navy and Tulane. :rolleyes3:

Of course top 6 in the country. We are friggin Florida, fer cryin' out loud. Literally, we do not have to leave our state and we still have proximate access to the best talent in the country. We are the preeminent university in Florida with the best academics, best conference affiliation, and best stadium. We have compelling rivals. We have an excellent recent history to sell with the SOS and CUM eras (though admittedly little before or after them). The trophy case has 3 natties and 8 SECs. Our record of getting kids to the NFL is among the best.

And before you pipe up with the facilities argument, let me agree. And that is why I will expect top 3 class rankings after our facilities catch up.

I will reiterate. I did not want Mullen. In fact, when he was announced I spent two weeks neck deep in swings between violent temper tantrums and bedridden depression. That said, he has greatly exceeded my expectations thus far. Especially when compared to the last 2 jackasses. And most especially when compared to the other HCs that were hired when he was (talking to you, Chip, Tagglewain and Frosty McCornsucker).

He needs to take the class currently ranked 10th and slide up a few slots by closing hard (DT, ILBs and safeties would be just dandy). Then he needs to keep all the signees in the fold. No rapist QBs or pussy Calif. primadonna DBs that want their mommies. Then, after the class is signed, sealed and delivered, he needs to spend some time with SOS and develop a vertical passing attack.
That last part is definitely not happening.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That last part is definitely not happening.

But SOS's office is right down the hall. And he prattles on so when he gets on a roll (or maybe I'm thinking of Batesy's SOS). Just put the quarter in him and shut up and take notes.

Oh, you meant the recruiting part. I got it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sorry I was unclear. Top 6 in the American. If he rolls up his sleeves, I'm sure he can land a better class than Navy and Tulane. :rolleyes3:

Of course top 6 in the country. We are friggin Florida, fer cryin' out loud. Literally, we do not have to leave our state and we still have proximate access to the best talent in the country. We are the preeminent university in Florida with the best academics, best conference affiliation, and best stadium. We have compelling rivals. We have an excellent recent history to sell with the SOS and CUM eras (though admittedly little before or after them). The trophy case has 3 natties and 8 SECs. Our record of getting kids to the NFL is among the best.

And before you pipe up with the facilities argument, let me agree. And that is why I will expect top 3 class rankings after our facilities catch up.

I will reiterate. I did not want Mullen. In fact, when he was announced I spent two weeks neck deep in swings between violent temper tantrums and bedridden depression. That said, he has greatly exceeded my expectations thus far. Especially when compared to the last 2 jackasses. And most especially when compared to the other HCs that were hired when he was (talking to you, Chip, Tagglewain and Frosty McCornsucker).

He needs to take the class currently ranked 10th and slide up a few slots by closing hard (DT, ILBs and safeties would be just dandy). Then he needs to keep all the signees in the fold. No rapist QBs or pussy Calif. primadonna DBs that want their mommies. Then, after the class is signed, sealed and delivered, he needs to spend some time with SOS and develop a vertical passing attack.

Good post, but wishful thinking. Barring something unforeseen we'll finish 6th in the SEC , 5th if Gus gets fired. Such is life in the SEC

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
But SOS's office is right down the hall. And he prattles on so when he gets on a roll (or maybe I'm thinking of Batesy's SOS). Just put the quarter in him and shut up and take notes.

Oh, you meant the recruiting part. I got it.
Did you see the HBO special when Spurrier walked in their meeting room? They seemed annoyed he was there.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It seems that every time we had a major screw up via penalty or alignment it was most likely one of the receivers. So, I gotta believe if anyone laid an egg here it was Billy G
So our receivers and receivers coach are to blame for that loss? Noted...

giphy.gif

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I certainly don't expect the head coach to go around checking wristbands.

I would expect him to do it...or at least have a process in place that ensures it's done and he's aware everything is correct, especially with him being a coach with an offensive background. It really could be as simple as him standing in front of the offensive players prior to the game and saying "Okay, let's everybody check wristbands...does everybody have the wristband marked "A" (or whatever code they use when marking the bands)?" Heck, to Itraz's point, he could even have his OC check while he is in the room supervising... or line the guys up single file and have them walk to the coach in front who checks it off, which would be indicative of a smooth process. Bottom line is this whole exercise should take less than 1 minute. That's a miniscule amount of time to invest on a very small but crucial detail that could be the difference between winning and losing.

Deathroll

Dec 28, 2014
So our receivers and receivers coach are to blame for that loss? Noted...

giphy.gif
Don't go stretching this to that level. If anything, more blame goes to the defense. I thought the receivers performed admirably. The substitution errors aren't on the receivers, it's on the receiver coach. Same with not knowing the correct play call. All I was pointing out is that Mullen was obviously frustrated with Billy G on more than one occasion. I also agree the buck stops with Mullen, but that doesn't mean we ignore where the issue came from. FWIW, I've always liked Billy G. This group of receivers may be the best we've ever had at UF.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I would expect him to do it...or at least have a process in place that ensures it's done and he's aware everything is correct, especially with him being a coach with an offensive background. It really could be as simple as him standing in front of the offensive players prior to the game and saying "Okay, let's everybody check wristbands...does everybody have the wristband marked "A" (or whatever code they use when marking the bands)?" Heck, to Itraz's point, he could even have his OC check while he is in the room supervising... or line the guys up single file and have them walk to the coach in front who checks it off, which would be indicative of a smooth process. Bottom line is this whole exercise should take less than 1 minute. That's a miniscule amount of time to invest on a very small but crucial detail that could be the difference between winning and losing.

I get that sometimes really stupid things happen, and can forgive random acts of stupidity (or omissions in this case). But if this ever happens again it should be considered a fire-able offense, WITH cause.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
All I was pointing out is that Mullen was obviously frustrated with Billy G on more than one occasion. I also agree the buck stops with Mullen, but that doesn't mean we ignore where the issue came from. FWIW, I've always liked Billy G. This group of receivers may be the best we've ever had at UF.

Could it be that Billy G. is great on recruiting and teaching fundamentals, but is lousy at executing the details on gameday? I don't know BG, just positing here.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Okay, but if he is calling the plays (a choice he makes), then he needs to be the one checking, IMO, because the in-game communication will be between the players and himself. If he turns over play calling duties to somebody else and wants to delegate, that's fine but if he does that it's on him to make sure he hires competent staff and trains them correctly on his process and how he wants things to operate. Bottom line is all this falls on him.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Do you think there are many elite position coaches/recruiters that would want to work for him? Maybe that’s why he’s stuck with the same crew? Or is the dead weight under him totally without desire to move up or on? Gonzales and Hevesy aren’t getting any younger

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good post, but wishful thinking. Barring something unforeseen we'll finish 6th in the SEC , 5th if Gus gets fired. Such is life in the SEC

Maybe.

Probably, given the history. But I hope not. We should be right there, year in and year out, among the top 3 of our conference, which would have us in the top 5 or 6 nationally most years. We want championships? That's what it will take. As you and everyone else on this board knows.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you see the HBO special when Spurrier walked in their meeting room? They seemed annoyed he was there.

I did not, but if true, that's disappointing. He may or may not be a bit of a douche - certainly Phat Phil and Booby think he is - but there is no arguing his football acumen, especially on offense and most especially the passing game. It is the height of either arrogance or foolishness not to leverage the genius down the hall.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I did not, but if true, that's disappointing. He may or may not be a bit of a douche - certainly Phat Phil and Booby think he is - but there is no arguing his football acumen, especially on offense and most especially the passing game. It is the height of either arrogance or foolishness not to leverage the genius down the hall.
There's an ongoing rumor leaked by one of the camera guys that Mullen actually told Spurrier to "F*** off", but they cut it out because they were asked to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator