Alligator article - Midseason firing not the answer

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll admit that I stood by Muschamp and JD about as long as anyone (wishful thinking, I guess). However, after watching last week, I am now ready for Muschamp to be let go (immediately) - I hear there's an opening at North Dakota. And JD can go play baseball (immediately) - there's still a few games left this year (go Royals!).

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85505 said:
Then you have an issue where who gets the loyality. Do potential coaches believe that Roper or whomever gets perfered treatment. What happens if their is a winning streak? It's not idea, but what else do you open up by just not staying the course to the end. Similar to Zook.

I don't think there will be a loyalty issue if Roper becomes the interim. All assistant coaches from now on have this season to audition for either the new UF head coach or a program elsewhere. The reason why I would name Roper the interim is because it prevents the possibility of another defensive minded coach from interfering with the offense. Also, Roper took a huge risk in coming here, and it seems like it would be fair to let him prove that he isn't an awful OC. It doesn't mean that he has to be retained even if he does well here.

USC improved immediately after Kiffin was fired last year. I want to enjoy watching UF games again as do all of the fans, recruits, players' parents, etc, and I'm sure the players want to enjoy playing the game. I don't think any of that is possible while Muschamp is still in charge.

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Zambo;n85545 said:
The super sad thing is that Muschamp should have been gone after last year and now here we are. Maddening.

This, this, this, this, THIS!! We are replaying the posts from last year's GSMB right here, right now. It's déjà vu all over again. What a complete disaster of a HC this man is and how Foley missed as much as he did in the vetting process, I will never understand.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Loogis;n85276 said:
Because there isn't an Urban Myer out there that we need to get the jump on.

I don't think I get your point? There may not be any urbans outthere but there's better than what we got. Why would someone like this comment?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp has this amazing ability to make offensive coordinators look bad. Especially the ones on his sideline

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n85490 said:
I honestly believe that the offense will improve the moment Muschamp is fired. I don't think the offense this year is a reflection of Roper. It is a reflection of Muschamp. The team has nothing to lose by letting Muschamp go right now. The season is already a failure, it will only get worse with him at the helm, so it's time to move on. I think they should let Roper be the interim so he can at least audition for an OC gig for either the new UF headcoach or for somewhere else. Keeping Muschamp on for one more game or for the rest of the year is pointless, and the cons of retaining him by far out weigh the pros.
I agree. Look at the lift that USC got by not allowing Elane back on the bus? Of course the team would improve immediately. I would bet a month's wages.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85270 said:
And Muschamp was an assistant for years... how did that work out. The black cloud isn't going to leave until the whole staff is cleaned out. Not just the head coach. Durkin has been a joke for two years as DC, and what really has Roper proved. Do you honestly believe that Muschamp is the only reason that this cluster**** is on the field.

I don't get why everybody says this. Is our D as good as Dan Quinn's? No, but who is as good as Quinn? Not even Charlie strong...I'd say Quinn may be the best DC we've ever had...and that's saying something. He's a rare and exceptional talent.

Last year we had our problems getting off the field when it mattered, no doubt. But many of those were in the 2nd half and they had absolutely no help from the offense and were worn down. The offense was an absolute joke YET the D still finished in the top 10 in the country. Our secondary has been torched early in the season but we also have a lot of freshman playing a lot of minutes in there. And is the secondary let down Durknin's fault or T-Rob's. :dunno:

Despite our offense regressing every week our defense has steadily improved. Is Durkin as good as Quinn. No. Is he a "joke" ? Hell no, he's not a joke.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85251 said:
You genuinely think it would be worse than it is now? Really? These guys have been assistants for YEARS, they could handle a short-term assignment.

We need to get it out of our heads that the rest of this season matters. Get the black cloud out of Gainesville. Even if we lose out, everyone will be happier.

I totally agree I think it would help the players, help the fans, and omg, who knows, there might actually be a bit of improvement. I think it would help recruiting. How can this be good for recruiting? The whole rest of the country can see it is a disaster. Mostly they did LAST year.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n85490 said:
I honestly believe that the offense will improve the moment Muschamp is fired. I don't think the offense this year is a reflection of Roper. It is a reflection of Muschamp. The team has nothing to lose by letting Muschamp go right now. The season is already a failure, it will only get worse with him at the helm, so it's time to move on. I think they should let Roper be the interim so he can at least audition for an OC gig for either the new UF headcoach or for somewhere else. Keeping Muschamp on for one more game or for the rest of the year is pointless, and the cons of retaining him by far out weigh the pros.

So many of us think the same way.

Maybe there is some legal constraint as has been suggested, but if so, what does that say about Foley's or UAA attorney's negotiating acumen?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
TheDouglas78;n85516 said:
I can see the benefit in Zooking him. It should have been announced today he was done before the season. It worked out for us once with Gallen Hall, and also hasn't worked out or us or many others. Who are the players playing for? How do prospective coaches look at the situation? With Zook finishing the season everyone knows where everything stands. I know everyone wants a head on a platter, especially after Saturday. But the goal shouldn't be the next 5 weeks, but the next 5 years.

The goal is to start the healing as soon as possible. What could possibly be the benefit of having the specter of Muschamp around any longer? Fire him immediately and send the message that we are moving on. The only debate should be should he hang around or leave town. His skill set is not needed (or even evident). My God I can not believe he is recruiting.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What are you guys talking about? All is well. They're going to get this corrected. You're overreacting. These are human beings for goodness sakes. We should be nice to everyone, all the time. If you are a real Gator fan, that check would be in the mail, and all of the other associated gosh-darn-not-his-fault sayings of those who think we're nuts for looking at a track record of performance and trying to find reasonable solutions rather than do the same thing over and over again.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
" [h=1]Alligator article - Midseason firing not the answer"[/h]

No it is not the answer, because WM should have been fired without question.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85225 said:
How about because it's the right thing to do for everyone involved, including Muschamp? It's a black cloud over the program that needs to be lifted. Frankly, our record from here on out is irrelevant. It's a lost season.

No game is irrelevant. Do you have to live among the Bulldogs? Here in Savannah, I DO. In the midst of my 42nd season, every game is as relevant to me as that first win over K-State, in the rain, to start the 73 season, with Nat Moore leading the Gators, running all over the Wildcats.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85251 said:
You genuinely think it would be worse than it is now? Really? These guys have been assistants for YEARS, they could handle a short-term assignment.

We need to get it out of our heads that the rest of this season matters. Get the black cloud out of Gainesville. Even if we lose out, everyone will be happier.

The rest of this season DOES matter. It ALWAYS matters. Otherwise, why do we care about who the coach is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly why Chimp should be fired now and Roper be given the opportunity to try to score points and win games.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n85556 said:
I did not say that...send out the assistants not the dead man walking. As a recruit, what would you think of a soon-to-be fired coach talking to you? Whatever, I'd say. Not to mention...in the back of my mind...what if this lunatic is actually back next year. I'm not playing for this loser.

The Interm coach would be just a dead man walking as well. Now, I agree with they should announce that he would not be back this week, while he is out. So that back of the mind thing is gone.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Muschamp had any sense at all he would resign right now. He's too damn stubborn so we'll have to wait until we are curb-stomped by the rest of the schedule before the change is made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator