Alligator article - Midseason firing not the answer

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
https://www.alligator.org/sports/football/article_838b5676-5818-11e4-9938-bf5641721b2e.html

This article presents some valid arguments. Here's the most telling quote: “OK, you fired Muschamp with five games left, and then what happens?” That's where I'm afraid. Is the team going to magically turn around with Roper or Durkin as coach? Doubtful. Like the article says, the players may react to a firing by played "inspired" football, or they just may totally not try for a lame duck interim coach.

Anybody else want to take the "fire him at the end of the season" position?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How about because it's the right thing to do for everyone involved, including Muschamp? It's a black cloud over the program that needs to be lifted. Frankly, our record from here on out is irrelevant. It's a lost season.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n85210 said:
https://www.alligator.org/sports/football/article_838b5676-5818-11e4-9938-bf5641721b2e.html

This article presents some valid arguments. Here's the most telling quote: “OK, you fired Muschamp with five games left, and then what happens?” That's where I'm afraid. Is the team going to magically turn around with Roper or Durkin as coach? Doubtful. Like the article says, the players may react to a firing by played "inspired" football, or they just may totally not try for a lame duck interim coach.

Anybody else want to take the "fire him at the end of the season" position?

Who do you trust on the staff to lead the team? I say we announce he is gone after the season, but there is no one on this staff that I trust to finish the year as HC.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Somebody comment on that article and link this board. I'm not creating a new account to do it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Teams do it all the time. For that matter, there's probably less than 10% chance that Zook pulls out the win in Tally if it isn't his last game. Whether it's a coordinator or their now-lame-duck coach, kids often rally around them and exceed expectations. Just happened last year at Usc.

I don't doubt the academic side of things, but we have largely become one of the dumbest fanbases around. Zero football knowledge or common sense applied in these cases. There was a Gator fan on Sirius this morning not only saying he shouldn't be fired now, but also not at the end of the season. Not his fault. Just absurd.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85227 said:
Who do you trust on the staff to lead the team? I say we announce he is gone after the season, but there is no one on this staff that I trust to finish the year as HC.
His "leadership" right now is a complete joke. Are you really trying to tell me Roper or Durkin couldn't take over for 5 lousy games?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not understanding why this isn't being handled like the zook firing myself. I think foleys job should be in jeopardy aswell.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n85230 said:
There was a Gator fan on Sirius this morning not only saying he shouldn't be fired now, but also not at the end of the season. Not his fault. Just absurd.

Was his name Coach9?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
""I ask for patience, even though you probably don’t have any left. It will get better around here, but I don’t think firing Muschamp in the thick of the season will turn this ship around, it’ll just give you a peace of mind.""

Peace of mind sure beats the alternative. It's clear as day he can't live up to the expectations of the program, and has been for a long time. It's best for everyone involved (including Muschamp) to put him out of his misery, and give the program much needed oxygen. We're brain dead under this guy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85232 said:
His "leadership" right now is a complete joke. Are you really trying to tell me Roper or Durkin couldn't take over for 5 lousy games?

Yes, I am. Look at the leadership they have given their respective sides of the ball. Do you really want that for the whole team?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
TheDouglas78;n85239 said:
Yes, I am. Look at the leadership they have given their respective sides of the ball. Do you really want that for the whole team?

Yes.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Our program is a joke all over the media today. Muschamp is a joke. Foley? Yeah, a joke. 1000% my behind and what's his famous quote? What must be done eventually must be done now? Hogwash. That guy was a great AD. This guy? He's grown soft and weak over the years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n85239 said:
You genuinely think it would be worse than it is now? Really? These guys have been assistants for YEARS, they could handle a short-term assignment.

We need to get it out of our heads that the rest of this season matters. Get the black cloud out of Gainesville. Even if we lose out, everyone will be happier.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
oxrageous;n85251 said:
You genuinely think it would be worse than it is now? Really? These guys have been assistants for YEARS, they could handle a short-term assignment.

We need to get it out of our heads that the rest of this season matters. Get the black cloud out of Gainesville. Even if we lose out, everyone will be happier.

Yup.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85251 said:

And Muschamp was an assistant for years... how did that work out. The black cloud isn't going to leave until the whole staff is cleaned out. Not just the head coach. Durkin has been a joke for two years as DC, and what really has Roper proved. Do you honestly believe that Muschamp is the only reason that this cluster**** is on the field.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
t-gator;n85234 said:
I'm not understanding why this isn't being handled like the zook firing myself. I think foleys job should be in jeopardy aswell.

Because there isn't an Urban Myer out there that we need to get the jump on.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we've found the people to deal with this problem.

aff29f52f1eaab76060aa221c1bc5a23.jpg

:giggle:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
What is this leadership you talk about? There is zero on the team and it's pathetic, and seems like even the players do not want to take a leadership role. Perhaps they long for change.

B

Bar None Gator

Founding Member
Founding Member
Richard Johnson's article is a complete joke on all of us. It's complete lunacy at this point that it is 12:26 PM on Monday 10/20/2014 and Will Muschamp has not been fired. There is a new president coming on board who needs time to adjust. The Athletic Director can't find his arse. The head football coach is looking catatonic. The fans are bewildered beyond disbelief. I suggest that there must be something really rotten in Denmark. Somebody please uncover some clue as to why the athletic department has been allowed to become sabotaged. Is someone blackmailing Foley? This whole situation is so surreal. That the Florida football program was allowed to sink to such lows has to be non-accidental. That at this point, the AD has not manifested any leadership after the blowout on Homecoming is without words. Really makes me think Foley believes that if the Gators beat Georgia 2 weeks form now, then the $8M he squandered is salvageable. This is so insane that this cash cow program is allowed to be run in such a manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator