Anthony Richardson drafted 4th overall to the Colts

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be surprised if AR were the number 3 pick, but if Christian Ponder can go at #10, AR would definitely be top 10. I agree with @soflagator that he should return. Not only will that make him more likely to be the top pick in '24 (more money), he'd be better prepared for the NFL, meaning that will increase his chances of long-term success. It would suck if he got drafted at number 6 or 7, only to flame out in 3 years because he played too soon and his confidence got shot again. He needs next year to build on that mental toughness as well as gain more experience.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Bears made a big mistake trading up to take Mitch Trubisky with the #2 pick in 2017, passing on Mahomes and Watson in the process. I say this to bring attention to the fact that Trubisky, too, was considered a rare and raw talent -- and like Richardson entered the draft with only a season full of starts.

You can be sure NFL teams don't want be the one to repeat that mistake.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Bears made a big mistake trading up to take Mitch Trubisky with the #2 pick in 2017, passing on Mahomes and Watson in the process. I say this to bring attention to the fact that Trubisky, too, was considered a rare and raw talent -- and like Richardson entered the draft with only a season full of starts.

I don’t want to rain on your parade, but you now have a guy averaging less than 9 completions per game. So you did. Already.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
They repeat that effing mistake every single year. They'll repeat it again next year. And the next. And the next.

The problem is that the sport has too much emphasis on the quarterback in the modern game. Without one, you can't win unless you have an all-time elite defense and dominant running game (like the 2000 Ravens), and that's rare. Desperation to find one leads to annual reaches.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
QB's at the next level are a crapshoot. The Bills were given all kinds of hell for drafting Josh Allen so high, as he was scatter-armed and inaccurate in college. Whoops. He's now one of the best QB's on Earth. Nobody knows what a QB will do until that ball is snapped.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
QB's at the next level are a crapshoot. The Bills were given all kinds of hell for drafting Josh Allen so high, as he was scatter-armed and inaccurate in college. Whoops. He's now one of the best QB's on Earth. Nobody knows what a QB will do until that ball is snapped.

I’m a diehard Bills fan and when we didn’t draft Mahomes and traded that pick to KC I almost gave up on them. I was irate for weeks! Then they draft Allen with his completion rate issues and I’m saying great Bills now have JP Losman, EJ Manuel all over again. Now I’ll take Allen over Patricia . You’re 100% correct, it’s a crapshoot and the NFL has no idea other than about 1 QB every 5 years who’s a guarantee superstar. Brady a 6th rounder, J Russell #1 overall pick ?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t want to rain on your parade, but you now have a guy averaging less than 9 completions per game. So you did. Already.

Fields has been awful this season. That wasn't the point. The point was the risk of drafting a player with limited college starts.

I don't even know where to begin to describe how bad the Bears' offense is. OL is bad, receivers are bad, everything is bad. Mike Martz compared it to the winless 2008 Lions. That bad.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fields has been awful this season. That wasn't the point. The point was the risk of drafting a player with limited college starts.

I don't even know where to begin to describe how bad the Bears' offense is. OL is bad, receivers are bad, everything is bad. Mike Martz compared it to the winless 2008 Lions. That bad.

No, I get that. It’s not entirely on fields. But I think beyond the limited experience issue that teams have decided no longer matters there is another problem. I truly think we have blurred the lines between “dual threat QB” and “athlete who can kind of throw”. For several reasons, I’ll use Driskel as an example. He isn’t a QB. He’s a freak combination of size, strength and speed, a tremendous athlete that can sort of pass(accurately at least). If we’re honest, that’s how we would describe a host of recent 5* college players and 1st round NFL picks. Danny Wuerffel scampered for like a 20 yard TD run against the noles. That didn’t, in any way, make him “dual threat”. He was a QB that simply had the ability to run a little in a perfect situation.

Lance is just one example, but there are plenty more, potentially including Fields. It can work in college to a degree, but doesn’t work in the NFL.

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t understand how Bryce Young isn’t the number one pick

Because this is an absolute horrible mock right now. AR needs to get a TON better before he’s considered a top 5 pick. There is also no chance Will Levi’s is the #1 pick. If that happens I’ll let Ox choose my avatar here for the rest of my life

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
A QB needs to read the defense first then quickly check down to the open receiver amongst all that chaos, the legs come last. AR 15 isn't there yet and certainly shouldn't step up to a more talented league.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Vince Young being a bust was a real surprise.
Given how important brains is for an NFL QB, I thought it was troubling when I heard Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic. (Below 9 puts you in the 5th percentile.) The average for an NFL QB is 26.

Interestingly, the NFL, as of this year. no longer uses the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.