Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Took half my silver etf (AGQ) off the table just now. I still think it will go higher, even much higher, but looking for a pullback from this parabolic rise before adding in again.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Took half my silver etf (AGQ) off the table just now. I still think it will go higher, even much higher, but looking for a pullback from this parabolic rise before adding in again.

Nice trade. Good discipline. I think you are going to have a chance to get back in as a lot of people are chasing now. However the weakness of the dollar might cap the pullback. But if the dollar finds legs, then you will get a good chance. But my weak dollar having no effect on oil seems to be coming true. DXY fell below 94 and oil can't find a bid.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Nice trade. Good discipline. I think you are going to have a chance to get back in as a lot of people are chasing now. However the weakness of the dollar might cap the pullback. But if the dollar finds legs, then you will get a good chance. But my weak dollar having no effect on oil seems to be coming true. DXY fell below 94 and oil can't find a bid.
Agreed on all, and when I checked both short and long term RSIs on the dollar last night, BOTH were extrememly oversold. MY AGQ position was up 78% since purchase, so, taking half off the table was "prudent" (and I fail at that a lot!). ;)

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@Detroitgator so the other day I jokingly mentioned you might find yourself buying Eastman Kodak if you keep fooling around with Dow theory. Of course I was goofing around but as luck would have it, take a look at Eastman Kodak today. Up almost 6 BUX and it was only a 3 dollar stock. I forgot it was still around LOL,

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Detroitgator so the other day I jokingly mentioned you might find yourself buying Eastman Kodak if you keep fooling around with Dow theory. Of course I was goofing around but as luck would have it, take a look at Eastman Kodak today. Up almost 6 BUX and it was only a 3 dollar stock. I forgot it was still around LOL,

:lol: I came here to bust your balls about that. Up 275% this morning.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Who needs high flying tech BS to make money? Eastman Kodak from 3 to 40 in 2 days??? You do the math. And all b/c I mentioned it as a joke in a Dow Theory discussion. Who even knew that Eastman Kodak was still a publicly traded company? Anyone , anyone Bueller, Bueller, Bueller?????

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
S&P 500 had another big day. I'm considering selling off my index fund and sitting on it until after the election.

Pro's: If there's a crash/pull back I get out ahead.

Con's: if market keeps running up I miss out on more gains, plus I'll miss out on the end of year dividends/capital gains.

Thoughts?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
S&P 500 had another big day. I'm considering selling off my index fund and sitting on it until after the election.

Pro's: If there's a crash/pull back I get out ahead.

Con's: if market keeps running up I miss out on more gains, plus I'll miss out on the end of year dividends/capital gains.

Thoughts?
Read my updates... we are definitely still on track toward the all time high and 3500 on the S&P, but like I said Sunday, it's not a good time to be adding or putting new positions on because things will get squirrely as we approach closing the gap down around 3300, and especially as we approach 3400 or higher.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
PS Forgot to mention Fed talk today... again promised 0-0.25%, increased purchase of MBS, increased purchase of treasuries... = unlimited debt... = stock market positive, very positive, period.

Also, while very volatile, I think gold, silver, and bitcoin are on a longggg up run.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
PS Forgot to mention Fed talk today... again promised 0-0.25%, increased purchase of MBS, increased purchase of treasuries... = unlimited debt... = stock market positive, very positive, period.

Also, while very volatile, I think gold, silver, and bitcoin are on a longggg up run.

Don;t disagree about the metals, but if the dollar gets any legs, you might get a nice pullback. I see three sets of metal investors/traders. You have the gold Bugs who have owned Gold for years and always think it is worth 10,000 an ounce. You have the tactical guys like @Detroitgator who see economics/policies driving prices and lastly you have the sheep/momentum players. If gold drops at all the sheep will be forced to sell b/c everyone trades futures on margin and many stock/ETF players also use margin. So perhaps there will be another opportunity. Or maybe it is just a one way rocket ship.

Lots of info coming out today with GDP (bad) jobless claims (bad). I have to be out all day but I say watch the 10yr. 2 days ago it bumped up to 62 basis points after a poor treasury auction. Well as I get ready to leave it is back to 55 basis points, less than a stone's throw from the all time closing low.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Don;t disagree about the metals, but if the dollar gets any legs, you might get a nice pullback. I see three sets of metal investors/traders. You have the gold Bugs who have owned Gold for years and always think it is worth 10,000 an ounce. You have the tactical guys like @Detroitgator who see economics/policies driving prices and lastly you have the sheep/momentum players. If gold drops at all the sheep will be forced to sell b/c everyone trades futures on margin and many stock/ETF players also use margin. So perhaps there will be another opportunity. Or maybe it is just a one way rocket ship.

Lots of info coming out today with GDP (bad) jobless claims (bad). I have to be out all day but I say watch the 10yr. 2 days ago it bumped up to 62 basis points after a poor treasury auction. Well as I get ready to leave it is back to 55 basis points, less than a stone's throw from the all time closing low.
I think this run in metals is part of the long cyclical that started in 2000, and this run, unlike the last one 10 years ago, isn't driven by greed, it's being driven by actual fear/loss of faith.

Agreed on the 10 yr, you know how I feel about it and its importance to the game.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Who needs high flying tech BS to make money? Eastman Kodak from 3 to 40 in 2 days??? You do the math. And all b/c I mentioned it as a joke in a Dow Theory discussion. Who even knew that Eastman Kodak was still a publicly traded company? Anyone , anyone Bueller, Bueller, Bueller?????
Any other stocks you plan on mentioning as a joke in the near future? You may be on to something......

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yeah, and you know I follow Dow Theory, so I'm not knocking it, but unless Dow Theory was predicting an out of the blue announcement that the USG was going to give them half a billion dollars to retool/startup phamra.... :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Update going into the weekend. Nothing has changed. Here are levels that we cannot close below for things to remain very bullish:
  • SP500: 3200
  • Nasdaq: 10300
  • R2000: 1460
  • Dow Transports: 9600

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Worst GDP print in.... HISTORY.

NASDAQ actually closed UP...

Dow rallied huge off its low...

Get it yet?

What is "Bad news is Good news?" Alex :lmao2:

So I am just catching up from being gone and I see that the 4 companies basically keeping the stock market alive all had big numbers. the same 4 companies whose CEO's were put thru a dog and pony show by the idiots in DC. As much as I dislike all 4 of these CEO's as people and the lies they tell, the idiots in DC better be careful what they wish for.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Aaannnndddd of course, kid is rubbing my nose in PINS this morning. But it has taken her awhile to be back in the green on this one.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Caught news of a HUGE merger in the radiation oncology world that a Siemen's spinoff (Siemens Healthineers) is buying Varian. VAR stock is up 22% this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator