Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I'm with you on all...

I'm not so VIX focused, but what is concerning is the dollar and 10yr action/directions in the last two days.

I've been saying all along that things would get "weird" around the SP500 3500 mark, and they are. I have tight stops from now until Friday, will have to decide what I want to do going into Friday close. I'm not adding to any existing nor buying anything new other than calls for purely day trading (like LULU yesterday).

FYI, which I know you are aware, but Friday morning prior to opening is the August payrolls number, just in case you wanted to either tighten your already tight stops or perhaps loosen them? Not saying one way or another, but just in case it gets a smidge more active/volatile. Good luck. I know I focus a lot on rates, but the long end of the curve moving down in rates so quick is concerning, even though I know it is manipulated. But history shows that even if the FED wants to do something, the rates market can go opposite if it wants to send a signal to the FED. I agree things are weird as I have read more than a few articles/releases justifying just how not expensive these high flying stocks are relative to the rate environment. These are signs I look for when the froth is really bubbling.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Is that the dow I see over 29....:panic: Maybe those half million new private sector jobs had something to do with it along with the recent shift in the polls.....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Is that the dow I see over 29....:panic: Maybe those half million new private sector jobs had something to do with it along with the recent shift in the polls.....
No, it has much more with dumb money flowing in... i'm guessing 29500 (all time high) is the number to watch, it's the only market that hasn't hit ATH.

You can't attribute market moves to "general news"... ask yourself this: "what news will they attribute to a major correction?" The markets were screaming upwards when we had our WORST unemployment news. See how that works?

Dollar up today, 10yr down today... that makes ZERO sense with the market moves today... ZERO. Dumb money... CNBC actually called it "panic buying" today.

Just be careful scooter... the time to be excited was at the bottom, in March, not right now.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No, it has much more with dumb money flowing in... i'm guessing 29500 (all time high) is the number to watch, it's the only market that hasn't hit ATH.

You can't attribute market moves to "general news"... ask yourself this: "what news will they attribute to a major correction?" The markets were screaming upwards when we had our WORST unemployment news. See how that works?

Dollar up today, 10yr down today... that makes ZERO sense with the market moves today... ZERO. Dumb money... CNBC actually called it "panic buying" today.

Just be careful scooter... the time to be excited was at the bottom, in March, not right now.
Crete may not be sharpest knife in the drawer but he knows craziness when he sees it...went deep into LT and strips back then/March(think falling 10yr.) and took the wad he pulled out and bought at the low point....most of my stuff is currently up 30-45%....will run to safety when the first bricks topple.

You been pretty spot on over the last month or so but remember who was hollering "when in Rome" back in May....;)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Update:
  • Support on the SP500 is still in the 3425 to as low as 3375 bandwidth (21 and 34 day EMAs).
  • If that "box" holds and we bounce up, we could push higher again.
  • If we don't bounce in that box, and probably definitely if we break 3375, it's likely that the Wave 2 down has started.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Update:
  • Support on the SP500 is still in the 3425 to as low as 3375 bandwidth (21 and 34 day EMAs).
  • If that "box" holds and we bounce up, we could push higher again.
  • If we don't bounce in that box, and probably definitely if we break 3375, it's likely that the Wave 2 down has started.
I couldn't find the post where you wrote "look out below" to quote it directly, but when I looked at the market a few moments ago, it's what came to mind.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I couldn't find the post where you wrote "look out below" to quote it directly, but when I looked at the market a few moments ago, it's what came to mind.
Yeah, i've been pretty clear in the last week that i wasn't comfortable right now and have sold off things. I stopped out of my last long position this morning and put on a SMALL SP500 2x bearish ETF. We'll see what happens.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is it happening? Obviously one day aint enough..... but I am ready.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In my unscientific an inexperienced opinion watch this afternoon like a hawk.... If it doesn't happen today, tomorrow should be alright(were going back to single digit unemployment)….oh and keep an eye out on next Tuesday too...

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
None of us know if this is the start or not, but we have all been talking about it. Whether as I mentioned the VIX kept going higher as the market went higher (not normal) or @Detroitgator seeing things that made his eyes cross a bit, we all have ideas but time will always win out. What I am noticing is there is not a rush into bonds (rates only slightly lower), gold is quiet (meaning no rush in b/c people are scared or no huge selling to raise money to meet margin calls). so they are not selling "everything" per se. There were so many stocks over 25% above their 50 day moving averages that is was not even believable. But that was one of many "overbought" indicators. But having done this for a long time (now more as hobby), "Markets can remain irrational longer that we can remain solvent"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
None of us know if this is the start or not, but we have all been talking about it. Whether as I mentioned the VIX kept going higher as the market went higher (not normal) or @Detroitgator seeing things that made his eyes cross a bit, we all have ideas but time will always win out. What I am noticing is there is not a rush into bonds (rates only slightly lower), gold is quiet (meaning no rush in b/c people are scared or no huge selling to raise money to meet margin calls). so they are not selling "everything" per se. There were so many stocks over 25% above their 50 day moving averages that is was not even believable. But that was one of many "overbought" indicators. But having done this for a long time (now more as hobby), "Markets can remain irrational longer that we can remain solvent"
I support holds, and we are bobbing right on the 3450 level for hours now, I think we will see another STRONG bullish move in the short run.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I support holds, and we are bobbing right on the 3450 level for hours now, I think we will see another STRONG bullish move in the short run.

Yeah we just seem to meandering right here, but perhaps that may be b/c of the Gov't payrolls tomorrow morning. Will more people cash out this afternoon and not even risk playing the number or will we get one of hose last hour rallies by people so called 'bargain hunting"? I am doing nothing personally. My income plays got away from me yesterday and I will need a total sell off to get them back to my areas. But if I get enough of a sell off in one of the tech names that I do like I will put money into those.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
OK, let's summarize:

• We pulled back to the levels of support I have been mentioning and held at the upper level going into the close. We closed just above 3450, that's good.
  • This pullback is NORMAL and WELCOMED. What it does from here is what is important.
  • I suspect more bullishness, as long as we hold.
  • Fed announced today that they will do MORE QE. This is bullish, period.
  • I will be cautious for the next couple of trading days, not worried about "missing out" either way.
  • I stopped out of my last position early this morning (GOOGL). Son #1 and I bought SPXU around 11 CDT, put in order to "sell on close" at the same time. It was a good day, but I'm all out right now.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
OK, let's summarize:
Alright...this was me at 11.00AM after being tied up this morning and logging on to my account....
RespectfulFoolhardyCleanerwrasse-size_restricted.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator