gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think Appleby played pretty good Saturday and we need him to continue to do so because next week is a big-time step up in competition. However...he finally got "Emptywood" to catch some passes...so that an accomplishment on it's own :lol:

I want to win but no matter what I hope we show up to play and play a whole game.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
How many here gave UGA half a chance vs. the barn???? Not I. And of those who did was the fact UGA only gave up 7 points ever in their wildest imaginations??? That's why they play the game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hardly, dude.

Hardly my ass. Appleby has yet to start a game behind the STARTING OL. What's so hard to understand about that? Just say you think LDR is better. Not sure what football program you've been following....but, again, every game that Appleby has started at least one starter on the OL didn't play. That's a fact. "Hardly dude".

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Hardly my ass. Appleby has yet to start a game behind the STARTING OL. What's so hard to understand about that? Just say you think LDR is better. Not sure what football program you've been following....but, again, every game that Appleby has started at least one starter on the OL didn't play. That's a fact. "Hardly dude".

This discussion is off the rails. I've been an Appleby advocate since b4 he started against Tennessee. Now that you've changed your original post to "starting" from "best" OL, I agree with your opinion. You say it's semantics. I don't.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't watch the game, was he under center again?

There are those coaches who say that they don't like to leave the shotgun in the redzone because they don't do much under center.

Under the 3rd string center, and it was on the exchange.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He played well. Next week is going to be a lot tougher because he is going to have to really get the ball out quickly to avoid that LSU rush.

I also really hope they do some play action early as I think LSU will be focused on the run and we could hit a big play there to Callaway or Cleveland... or Fullwood (OK... I think he had his one game)

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
AA completed passes that LDR would have gotten intercepted or DB-blocked, plus a few
times WRs would have gotten clobbered.??

Yeah, AA was better than LDR has shown us this season. But, does anyone want to imagine for a moment how life would be if we only had ONE backup and his initials were TH? How would this past game, and the season in general, have gone? While AA isn't awesome, and he's better than LDR, we are still a LOT better than last year; even with a mix-n-match OL. Can we call that progress?

Sep 29, 2015
I'd feel a lot better if this game was at home. Mac has not demonstrated that he's capable of preparing a team to perform well enough to win away from the swamp against a good team (often struggling against mediocre to bad teams). It will be exacerbated with all of the backups and youngsters playing. Hopefully Appleby's experience pays dividends here. Wishful thinking goes that they are too green to know any better and the play calling is simplified to minimize thinking. Good thing it's a 1 PM kick. At night with those maniac cajuns, forget about it.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I'd feel a lot better if this game was at home. Mac has not demonstrated that he's capable of preparing a team to perform well enough to win away from the swamp against a good team (often struggling against mediocre to bad teams). It will be exacerbated with all of the backups and youngsters playing. Hopefully Appleby's experience pays dividends here. Wishful thinking goes that they are too green to know any better and the play calling is simplified to minimize thinking. Good thing it's a 1 PM kick. At night with those maniac cajuns, forget about it.
Appelby has a strong enough arm and isn't a bad passer. I think we need to throw it a bit and take chances one on one utilizing callaways explosivness, and cleveland's and fulwood's size one on one. If we resort to that dink and dunk stuff only netting 3-4 yards a throw that isnt going to get it done. If we can throw downfield, our run game will do better than expected. Scarlett's a good back.

Sep 29, 2015
Appelby has a strong enough arm and isn't a bad passer. I think we need to throw it a bit and take chances one on one utilizing callaways explosivness, and cleveland's and fulwood's size one on one. If we resort to that dink and dunk stuff only netting 3-4 yards a throw that isnt going to get it done. If we can throw downfield, our run game will do better than expected. Scarlett's a good back.

I agree. He made some nice throws Saturday. Defenses were no longer respecting the long ball with LDR - they have to with Appleby - which helps out Scarlett and the O-line immensely. He certainly gives us a chance as long as good Appleby shows up. The zone read wrinkle was one of the "stops being pulled" I had hoped for ahead of SC's game (the reverse was nice too other than the stumble). Gives LSU something to think about, though the element of surprise is now gone, which is why it was so successful the first time Mac unveiled it.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thompson fumbled in the redzone on the second series. I don't even think it was a forced fumble.
Thompson was being tackled and a defender came up from behind and popped the ball out as he was falling to the ground - he was almost down, but not quite. He's the last RB right now that should be seeing any PT.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby's 96.1 QBR was the highest for a Gator QB since Tyler Murphy recorded a 96.2 against Tennessee back in 2013.

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
It seemed like the offense played harder for AA. I saw WRs making moves and not going down on first contact, RBs making blocks in the backfield, O line dominating....didn't see this happening with LDR. I think the skill players just knew it was a lost cause with Dia Rio.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It has become my reluctant opinion that in many games, even most wins, we've endured
the lost cause of QB Luke Dull Rheostat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.