Are the Atlanta Braves the best team in baseball?

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Why does baseball abandon the seedings in the division round? The #1 team (Braves) should be playing the lowest seeded advancing team (DBacks). Why do they pair division rivals by rule over seedings instead? The #4 team often as not is going to be the second best and first hottest team in the league.
Because the MLB is dumb. While the rays screwed up going in they had 99 wins and were the 4 seed as well

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Why does baseball abandon the seedings in the division round? The #1 team (Braves) should be playing the lowest seeded advancing team (DBacks). Why do they pair division rivals by rule over seedings instead? The #4 team often as not is going to be the second best and first hottest team in the league.

If they start with seedings, they should stick with it.
It not a straight bracketed tournament - they give the higher seeds an advantage to paly the weakest team in order. I think it makes more sense - to give the higher seeds a better advantage.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I know. Like I said they screwed up. They can't win in the playoffs. I meant if you take regular season into account they should have had a first round bye with the Os. 1 and 2 in record should get byes
Winning your division counts. You play more in your division than any other factor - then you can assess the division winners based on overall record.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Winning your division counts. You play more in your division than any other factor - then you can assess the division winners based on overall record.
Yes but then you get the twins. Granted they booted the jays. My issue is the current format doesn't take into account weak divisions. The twins had 13 games each vs 4 losing teams. One of those was a 100+ loss team. The white Sox almost had 100 losses too

Last edited:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
You know who doesn't have a team? KANSAS!
Think About It GIF by Identity

e818df0c-1afd-4e63-a4a9-6d256c051577_248162141569342.gif

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019

If they start with seedings, they should stick with it.

I was having this discussion with someone last night....my guess is they assume/hope you won't have a AZ/MIL situation that often where the 6 seed upsets the 3....normally if the 3 seed wins they would get the 2 and then the 1 seed gets the 4/5...but unfortunately that didn't happen this year....

This feels like deja vu honestly from a Braves standpoint....we own the Phillies during the year, they sneak in, and get hott when it matters....

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Yes but then you get the twins. Granted they booted the jays. My issue is the current format doesn't take into account weak divisions. The twins had 13 games each vs 4 losing teams. One of those was a 100+ loss team. The white Sox almost had 100 losses too
So now you want strength of schedule input to the seedings.

There is only so much that can be done here.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man, Murphy needs to see a shrink, the dude has completely checked out. Giving up steals left and right, a catcher's interference that costs a run, and OBTW hitting something like 5 for his last 55 at bats. Phillies are on a hot streak and this is no time to be slumping.

And of course Strider is pitching just fine so they take him out and luckily only give up the one run. Braves better wake up or its going to be a very short post season.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Disgusting performance. That was an all time choke tonight even by the Braves standards

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Why did Snit change the lineup?
WTF
Phillies played loose tonight, Braves hitters took too many pitches and played tight.

Awful.

I was originally not against the shake up and thought it was overblown (albeit I don’t get why he did it), but once you get shutout after doing it, better expect the blame.

Braves don’t play well in the playoffs as the favorite. Think of our last WS this millennium: 2021 when we didn’t belong and were underdogs

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Snit is Cox all over again. Flukes into one series win in spite of him, then chokes every postseason otherwise. Old peckerhead needs to retire.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
I was originally not against the shake up and thought it was overblown (albeit I don’t get why he did it), but once you get shutout after doing it, better expect the blame.

Braves don’t play well in the playoffs as the favorite. Think of our last WS this millennium: 2021 when we didn’t belong and were underdogs
I thought the 3 sim games they played this week would keep the bats hot-obviously not. Murphy has been terrible also. I agree that I’d rather start out on the road- only need to win 1 of 2 and then you go home. Weird we don’t play till Monday. Hopefully Fried pitches pissed off like he did in Game 6 against the Astros.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the 3 sim games they played this week would keep the bats hot-obviously not. Murphy has been terrible also. I agree that I’d rather start out on the road- only need to win 1 of 2 and then you go home. Weird we don’t play till Monday. Hopefully Fried pitches pissed off like he did in Game 6 against the Astros.

Only problem is Game 3 has Elder starting in Philly. He’s awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.