Arizona Cardinals hire away DC Patrick Toney; Austin Armstrong new DC

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
There's no way Napier didn't push him out. He's a 33 y/o DC at an SEC school and he's going to take an assistant LB coach job in the NFL. The Cardinals aren't paying their assistant LB coaches $1mil/year. This is a step down for Toney (he never should have been given the job in the first place). The new hire (Armstrong) is another LB's coach - I wonder if he'll coach the safties.
“Just give me another year! Dean and Torrence are gone, no more Burney…”

5DC4D660-587C-45A5-BB4A-56E72417104F.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's interesting because of recruiting reasons - something tells me jettisoning Toney was the plan all along, but it had to be after NSD. Hopefully the new hire can recruit (and keep on the team the top-10 linebackers we already have committed for 2024) as well as coach. I like the idea his team led his conference in sacks and tackles for loss. 44 sacks is a boatload.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's interesting because of recruiting reasons - something tells me jettisoning Toney was the plan all along, but it had to be after NSD. Hopefully the new hire can recruit (and keep on the team the top-10 linebackers we already have committed for 2024) as well as coach. I like the idea his team led his conference in sacks and tackles for loss. 44 sacks is a boatload.
I think this has been the plan for a while now. He supposedly interviewed for DC position to multiple schools. The most prominent one was Baylor. An NFL team finally took him off Napier’s hands.

I just read somewhere that he did an interview last spring and said he actually has no scheme for his defense. He just has techniques and stuff that he teaches that could work in any scheme in any given moment.

No wonder it looked like we were not playing any sort of scheme in any of our games.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Big fan of Toney being gone, not a big fan of replacing him with a high schooler that helped special teams on a pop Warner squad for a summer!
500_F_37328134_vHLnFxbKMSnmvYMLt9yJIyHsPDP9lRRW.jpg

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

How the fans treated him??? I love how certain people like to play the “fans are unreasonable“ card whenever the product on the field sucks. Admittedly, Toney was handed far too many undersized tg specials (which is why I was willing to see what another year would produce), but there was still plenty to be upset about.

When you tell fat todd to “hold my beer” on 3rd down, you can expect some criticism.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think this has been the plan for a while now. He supposedly interviewed for DC position to multiple schools. The most prominent one was Baylor. An NFL team finally took him off Napier’s hands.

I just read somewhere that he did an interview last spring and said he actually has no scheme for his defense. He just has techniques and stuff that he teaches that could work in any scheme in any given moment.

No wonder it looked like we were not playing any sort of scheme in any of our games.
I agree, and I think this shows how classy a guy Napier is. He's not going to say anything negative about anyone publically, but behind closed doors he's addressing issues and helping guys transition on as best as he can. I think as his experience and reputation grows, he'll be a guy that top assistants will want to work for.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
excellent - two underperforming units get their coaches replaced.

DC concerns me as its another young person from the billy tree, why would this make us think he runs a different or better scheme? the logic for toney was the year over year improvement at latech but what about this guy that worked under him?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
excellent - two underperforming units get their coaches replaced.

DC concerns me as its another young person from the billy tree, why would this make us think he runs a different or better scheme? the logic for toney was the year over year improvement at latech but what about this guy that worked under him?
Hope the goings are official and the comings are just vicious rumors started by Miami.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator