59) Florida - Old DC from the Southern Conference
67) Southern Miss - New DC from the Southern Conference

Excited Sarcasm GIF by The Challenge

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Not sad to see Toney go.

This replacement has very little experience. Two years as DC at Southern Miss in the Sunbelt? Stats are less than impressive.

I hope that rumor is false.

BN needs to find a Bob Stoops type DC (young with top 5 defense) that can recruit or a seasoned veteran that can handle 100% of that side of the ball.
Yes, Toney less than impressive so if you’re going to get a new DC, go big. This is not a big hire for an SEC school like UF. It’s a wait and see, hope we are pleasantly surprised. Napier likes small fish. I see that as a coach with a limited tree. This DC will be learning on the job.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Agree. I’ve seen several here that want Bud Foster. Guy is 73, gets around with a walker and has Steel Reserve on a slow drip from one of those beer can hats. But people pull up early 2000s clips and are all in on him.
A good friend of mine played for Foster at VT and absolutely loves the guy. I don’t know of a guy who did more with less than Foster and would have loved to see what he could have done at a place like UF. Foster was extremely loyal to Frank Beamer though and so he stayed in Blacksburg forever. From what I hear, he has zero regrets and still lives in the mountains of SW Va.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Tell me how being married to a virgin works out for you! Not sure why you think this guy or Mertz will pan out but here we are and for the record, I have no clue what the hell NDS is.
On the off chance you aren't in need of the sarcasm font: Napier Derangement Syndrome (NDS). A condition associated with Florida Football armchair experts presenting as wild opposition to any decision, statement, hire, play selection, player management, time management, breathing and or not breathing on the part of the current head football coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
A good friend of mine played for Foster at VT and absolutely loves the guy. I don’t know of a guy who did more with less than Foster and would have loved to see what he could have done at a place like UF. Foster was extremely loyal to Frank Beamer though and so he stayed in Blacksburg forever. From what I hear, he has zero regrets and still lives in the mountains of SW Va.

Any word on the Steel Reserve drip? A lot of times this stuff is just internet rumors that get started. I don’t condone it, but it’s reality.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I seriously vacillated between “funny” or “ban.” Either would have been appropriate, but since I just polished off a dozen oysters at one of my favorite spots on Savannah, I’m in a good mood and “funny” won out

Okay now, how about sharing the name of the place so others can try it when in that neck of the woods.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Sorry Charlie’s on Ellis Square. Happy hour has $1 oysters. (James River Va. which are awesome this time of year.) Having the sautéed grouper for dinner; excellent as well.
Boy, its hard to enjoy oysters now. I remember going to Nichols around Floridatown and enjoying 10 cent oysters from Apalachicola. Between the two of us, we ate five dozen. Of course it was evident the day after.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Boy, its hard to enjoy oysters now. I remember going to Nichols around Floridatown and enjoying 10 cent oysters from Apalachicola. Between the two of us, we ate five dozen. Of course it was evident the day after.
Yeah, once upon a time they were cheap; then the rest of the world discovered how good they were! These days, you can’t complain about them being $1 a piece.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Big fan of Toney being gone, not a big fan of replacing him with a high schooler that helped special teams on a pop Warner squad for a summer!
Wait ... he has special teams coaching experience?

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The way I look at it is we can’t get any worse on defense so at worst it’s a wash. I would think we have to be better. Keeping the recruiting class together is a priority. Napier will succeed or fail with his hiring decisions so you have to trust his judgment.
Color me optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.