ARTICLE: USC should hire Jeremy Foley as AD; could land them Urban, Donovan

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
There are few in the history of collegiate athletics more accomplished than Foley, as Florida won three football titles (1996, 2006, 2008) and two basketball titles (2006, 2007) under his watch.

They brought in a search firm – Gene DeFilippo of Turnkey Sports and Entertainment – to run the formal search. It was a basic acknowledgement by USC president Carol Folt that USC wouldn’t be luring a top candidate like Oklahoma’s Joe Castiglione, Florida’s Scott Stricklin or Notre Dame’s Jack Swarbrick.

Beautiful.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw this

Who are they quoting?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer really evolved as a coach at Ohio State. Regardless, I still tend to think of him in terms of the recruiting. That advantage is null and void in the NFL.

So what does he have to offer in the NFL that others don't? My guess is grading out as champion would lose some of its luster.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Urban would be a bigger bust in the NFL than Saban was. Especially working for Jerry.

I am not quite sure I would say Saban was a bust in the NFL as I think he would/could definitely coach in any league. I think Urb would be more like a bust like Spurrier was. Saban might actually still be in the NFL had his medical staff not told him no to Drew Brees shoulder.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I am not quite sure I would say Saban was a bust in the NFL as I think he would/could definitely coach in any league. I think Urb would be more like a bust like Spurrier was. Saban might actually still be in the NFL had his medical staff not told him no to Drew Brees shoulder.
Disagree. The Dolphins fan base practically chased him out. There was a reason he was talking to Bama. IIRC, Huizenga let him walk from his contract with zero penalty since he didn't want to be there anymore. He's a college coach. Same as Urban.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Urban was on Colin Cowherd's show and said something to the effect that if the Cowboys called he would certainly listen to what they had to say.
Meyer is in the elite category, not unlike Jimmy Johnson 30 years ago. Similarly, he brings no real specialty (excepting special teams) beyond the ability to attract and organize coaching talent and motivate.

It worked well for the Cowboys back then.

Hard to say if Jerry Jones would want to go to the college well a third time. I'm sure Urban, as glam motivated as he is, would be all ears.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Jerry fires coaches. I don't think Urban could stomach being fired. He always checks out early. If he does go NFL it won't be the Cowboys.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Urban was on Colin Cowherd's show and said something to the effect that if the Cowboys called he would certainly listen to what they had to say.
he said the cowboys are his dream job.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uhhh....CUM
Lol, that thought DID occur to me. It's not a good look for Meyer to be openly salivating over the idea of a sitting coach being fired.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Jerry fires coaches. I don't think Urban could stomach being fired. He always checks out early. If he does go NFL it won't be the Cowboys.

Well, he hasn't fired a coach for the last 9 years even though he probably should have!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Universal factoid: You get hired in the NFL to get fired in the NFL.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
My other thought as to why Urb would never coach in the NFL (except for the huge payday) is that every game (sans less than 1%) are a 50-50 toss up. The teams are almost even b/c the rules are designed for every team to go 8-8. Urb';s would not do well knowing he is in a tough dogfight 16 games a year.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
My other thought as to why Urb would never coach in the NFL (except for the huge payday) is that every game (sans less than 1%) are a 50-50 toss up. The teams are almost even b/c the rules are designed for every team to go 8-8. Urb';s would not do well knowing he is in a tough dogfight 16 games a year.
Didn’t someone say about Spurrier when he went to the Redskins something to the effect of there aren’t any Vanderbilts on the schedule?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.