Athlon Ranks Next Year's QB's

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
McCarron shouldn't count as the receivers were wide open most times they ran a play action pass etc.

It's helps being surrounded by blue chip talent. But that is on how Saban operates.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
McElwains record is that in his best three years, he is a four loss coach with many blowouts and zero championships.

Dont tell me about Bammer. Plenty of coaches have watched Saban win at Bammer, Dooley, Muschimp, and dozens of others. None of them have EVER beaten their old boss.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunitely we are going to get guys like Franks, Trask, and Allen until we can show a consistent offense.
Why would a true passing quarterback want to come here if we haven't had a 3000 passer in a decade?
A 1000 yard receiver in 15 years?

This issue isn't a McElwain issue it's systematic. McElwain hasn't shown he is the answer, but we are going to get recruits like this until we can prove we can provide a stage for talent to showcase itself for the NFL on the offensive side of the ball. This goes beyond McElwain and Muschump, it goes to the group above them hiring these guys.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I forgot that Fuente has never groomed a quarterback to be a 1st round draft pick as a head coach, I guess what was just my imagination... right? That didn't happen? I guess his time at Memphis where he groomed Lynch to a first round pick. TRACK RECORD. Who has McElwain groomed as a Head Coach as a Freshman on?

No one is saying to trust to coaches, as your trying to change my argument to be. There is just a lack of data. Two vastly different arguments. But keep trying to change my argument to fit yours.

Head Coaches don't groom QB's, OC's and Qb coaches do that.........

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunitely we are going to get guys like Franks, Trask, and Allen until we can show a consistent offense.
Why would a true passing quarterback want to come here if we haven't had a 3000 passer in a decade?
A 1000 yard receiver in 15 years?

This issue isn't a McElwain issue it's systematic. McElwain hasn't shown he is the answer, but we are going to get recruits like this until we can prove we can provide a stage for talent to showcase itself for the NFL on the offensive side of the ball. This goes beyond McElwain and Muschump, it goes to the group above them hiring these guys.

Maybe you should see these guys in real games before you relegate them to the scrap pile...... Talk about putting the wagon in front of the horse......:banghead:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So...... you think all Head Coaches are like Spurrier?

1 out of a 1000!
Most HBCs handle "their side" of the ball and have coordinators who are akin to copilots. Here Kirby or Mushchimp, hold the wheel for a bit while Saban takes a piss.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I struggle to find the words to describe my absolute disgust with this. Shyt show after shyt show and so much wasted talent.

If you were a parent or a HS coach, would you send your kid here?

Exactly. When Mac was hired he inherited that situation. He walked into a situation with little to no offensive talent and every recruit seeing Florida as a graveyard for offensive players. That's a tough situation to turn around. You have to produce offense and win games without offensive talent in order to convince recruits that they should come to Florida.

Winning the East in that situation is impressive. Yes, I know the East is down, but Tennessee with Dobbs couldn't do it. Mac is outcoaching people that have a huge edge in offensive players.

I'm baffled that more people don't see this.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Exactly. When Mac was hired he inherited that situation. He walked into a situation with little to no offensive talent and every recruit seeing Florida as a graveyard for offensive players. That's a tough situation to turn around. You have to produce offense and win games without offensive talent in order to convince recruits that they should come to Florida.

Winning the East in that situation is impressive. Yes, I know the East is down, but Tennessee with Dobbs couldn't do it. Mac is outcoaching people that have a huge edge in offensive players.

It's hard to see through triple digit offenses. At this point a QB recruit is operating on faith that the only thing that is missing is them.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When the current HC trots out LDR as starter, that will show you what a great offensive mind he is......

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Disagree strongly. Mac has won the East with superior talent on Defense plain and simple ....There are 117 teams in CFB that have fielded better offenses than us both years he's coached. Show me even ONE other program that has under performed so badly on offense. Are you saying that there have not been ANY teams in the last 2 years that have had less offensive talent than UF.....I find that very hard to believe. Both UK and USCe looked like they should have been in a morgue last September yet both flew past us in offensive capability by the end of October....Jeez, Arky is the land of misfit 2 stars but Ole Bert manages to get their offenses ranked into the top 50-60 playing against better competition(SEC West)than we play...Seriously, Arky, you remember them the team that out coached Mac and spanked his ass while playing walkons on defense....

News flash, Muschamps defensive recruits are gone......

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Tools to be a very good to great SEC quarterback, just not a legend already by some the "experts" on the board. People act like he had already beat FSU, LSU, Alabama and won two national titles already after playing in 6 games.

Legend? No. But I will say this. Grier gave me (and my brother) HOPE. Something we hadn't had before in 5-6 years and that we haven't had since. The eye test: He looked like he could turn into a special quarterback. Good arm, quick decisive decision making, on field leadership qualities, good size, and could read the field well.

When you've been stuck in the dark ages offensively for what seems like an eternity, that HOPE was a beautiful thing.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Legend? No. But I will say this. Grier gave me (and my brother) HOPE. Something we hadn't had before in 5-6 years and that we haven't had since. The eye test: He looked like he could turn into a special quarterback. Good arm, quick decisive decision making, on field leadership qualities, good size, and could read the field well.

When you've been stuck in the dark ages offensively for what seems like an eternity, that HOPE was a beautiful thing.
It's no use with the "5 good quarters guys"....They're convinced that after 6 games there was enough film on WG to stop him dead in his tracks.....In other words he was done and wouldn't have been nearly as good as LDR, Treon, Driskel or Morningwood....:shake:. The reality is that he probably would have been somewhere between a good Doug Johnson and Rex had he been allowed to stay on here.....

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
It's no use with the "5 good quarters guys"....They're convinced that after 6 games there was enough film on WG to stop him dead in his tracks.....In other words he was done and wouldn't have been nearly as good as LDR, Treon, Driskel or Morningwood....:shake:. The reality is that he probably would have been somewhere between a good Doug Johnson and Rex had he been allowed to stay on here.....

What is this good Doug Johnson thing you're talking about?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

I just re-watched the Missouri game. Grier played well and made some damn fine throws. I saw balls dropped, routes not run properly, an Oline that broke down and when he had time to throw nobody open. It wasn't that Grier was Driskling it was that the rest of the team was Driskling. I think the "5 good quarters" tag should be dropped. But watch it yourself and draw your own conclusions. Grier's gonna be pretty good at his next stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.