Athlon Ranks Next Year's QB's

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We would sell our organs to have Doug Johnson back there right now.
There is no one on this roster that could hold Doug Johnson's or Jesse Palmer's nutsack as horrible as that sounds. There's only one who would be on an SEC roster if it weren't for us.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe you should see these guys in real games before you relegate them to the scrap pile...... Talk about putting the wagon in front of the horse......:banghead:

Deuce, that might be great... What I'm saying if we used to bring in polished passers, we don't anymore. That is a result of our recent history. The last time we had a 3000 yard passer most of these kids coming out today weren't in middle school.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's no use with the "5 good quarters guys"....They're convinced that after 6 games there was enough film on WG to stop him dead in his tracks.....In other words he was done and wouldn't have been nearly as good as LDR, Treon, Driskel or Morningwood....:shake:. The reality is that he probably would have been somewhere between a good Doug Johnson and Rex had he been allowed to stay on here.....

Chad I know he was a legend. In fact we will erect his statue next to Tebows later this year. No one said any of BS your selling either... Most people have said we don't know, and we don't. Neither do you. As I have said before had the talent to be great, but you don't know anything definitive about a quarterback in the SEC after 6 games. I know you have a statue to him in your living room already.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. When Mac was hired he inherited that situation. He walked into a situation with little to no offensive talent and every recruit seeing Florida as a graveyard for offensive players. That's a tough situation to turn around. You have to produce offense and win games without offensive talent in order to convince recruits that they should come to Florida.

Winning the East in that situation is impressive. Yes, I know the East is down, but Tennessee with Dobbs couldn't do it. Mac is outcoaching people that have a huge edge in offensive players.

I'm baffled that more people don't see this.

We have won in the East inspite of Butter's offense, not because of it.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I know this may be hard for you to believe but we actually used to beat FSU sometimes....here's what it looked like.

Doug Johnson's biggest issue is being the guy after an All Time Gator, he he had followed Matthews or Palmer he would be remembered better.

I was at every Gator game (home and away) in which Doug Johnson ever played. I have also known him outside of sports. Doug Johnson's biggest issue is that he is a first class jerk. The man was a disease on the team. He went out and got so drunk he had to be carried out of the bar right before the LSU game he lost. His immaturity and me first attitude was a big problem in the locker room. He hasn't changed a bit as he aged. A few years ago he got in a drunken fight and sent a guy to the hospital.

By the way, in the FSU game that was referenced Johnson was so incapable of running the offense that Spurrier resorted to rotating QBs every play for the first time. Taylor and Quezzie won that game despite Johnson.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Deuce, that might be great... What I'm saying if we used to bring in polished passers, we don't anymore. That is a result of our recent history. The last time we had a 3000 yard passer most of these kids coming out today weren't in middle school.

Wasn't Will Grier a 5star Qb? Seems he was rated the #3 Pro Style Qb in his class...... Just thinking...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, in the FSU game that was referenced Johnson was so incapable of running the offense that Spurrier resorted to rotating QBs every play for the first time. Taylor and Quezzie won that game despite Johnson.
And yet, he is still far better than anything we have.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I was at every Gator game (home and away) in which Doug Johnson ever played. I have also known him outside of sports. Doug Johnson's biggest issue is that he is a first class jerk. The man was a disease on the team. He went out and got so drunk he had to be carried out of the bar right before the LSU game he lost. His immaturity and me first attitude was a big problem in the locker room. He hasn't changed a bit as he aged. A few years ago he got in a drunken fight and sent a guy to the hospital.

I'm more than familiar with all of Johnson's f vck ups and lapses of mental awareness...... However it takes someone with at least half an arm to get the ball to the receivers and despite f vcking up plenty of times he had his share of good games.....Your reference to Johnsons being a headcase is precisely why I mentioned him as a comparison to that of WG. Both had talent but didn't always have their head in the best place....Both were also FAR and away 5x better than what we have now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was at every Gator game (home and away) in which Doug Johnson ever played.
So, for whom do you work? You keep denying UAA yet you are their parrot and bragging about going to every game.

Why did you go to every game? Associated with the team or university? I don't know anyone that made every game. Hell, I don't even think many of the players made every game. The road team was much smaller back then and the freshmen often didn't travel. Injured players didn't travel. Most staff didn't travel.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
So, for whom do you work? You keep denying UAA yet you are their parrot and bragging about going to every game.

Why did you go to every game? Associated with the team or university? I don't know anyone that made every game. Hell, I don't even think many of the players made every game. The road team was much smaller back then and the freshmen often didn't travel. Injured players didn't travel. Most staff didn't travel.

I didn't miss a Gator football game between 1982 and Spurrier's last game. I went to them simply for fun, not for a job.

I was convinced that we would be playing for the national championship in the Rose Bowl at the end of what turned out to be Spurrier's last season. I planned a trip to Japan and timed it so that I would make it back to LA in time for the bowl game. Then the Nole twisted the knee and we lost to Tennessee in the delayed game. I had already told my nieces that I was taking them to Japan and I had already purchased the tickets and everything. I decided to go ahead with the trip and missed my first game in 20 years.

On the way home we had a layover in Houston. I was sitting in the terminal and heard a loud commotion. There was a group of Miami fans standing in front of a TV going crazy. I walked over and saw that Spurrier had announced he was leaving. I was shell shocked. I will never forget that feeling.

I kept going to the games for a few seasons after that, but eventually life started getting more in the way. I only go to the away games now.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

200.gif

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
I think Grier had the talent to be a top QB in the SEC. Too bad he is an idiot.
It's clear that Will felt he was being shown the door by Butters. His comments are as follows:

4. It wasn't a smooth transfer process. Grier said it "felt like he was being pushed away" from the Gators football program and accused McElwain of telling reporters that he was eligible to practice with the team while sending a different message behind closed doors.

I said, the exact quote, "I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don't see playing here in the future?"

He said, "You're welcome here in the future, you're a Gator, but I'm not telling you my plans. I'm not giving you any guarantees."

Two weeks later, I decided to have one more meeting, man-to-man, and ask McElwain what the future held. I kept asking him what I could do to make it work there. He finally ended up saying, "Maybe a fresh start isn't the worst thing." He said that, and I said, "So I guess that's the move."

Grier also alleged that McElwain was two hours late for the first meeting because he was out recruiting quarterback Feleipe Franks. McElwain did not confirm or deny that claim when contacted by Bleacher Report.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So Grier himself admits Butters wouldn't give him any guarantees. Of course, if the answer is "I won't give you a guarantee" now admitted by Greer also, the question is obvious.

It's important to note that not only was Butters meeting with Franks during the first meeting, but Butters was chasing Eason before the second. I believe he actually thought he had a chance with Richt being fired. Apparently so did Grier.

Nevertheless, Mac should have lied to him. He lies to everyone else, especially the press. Just says what they want to hear or says nothing.

Nova, I would give you another like just for your avatar if I could.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I'm more than familiar with all of Johnson's f vck ups and lapses of mental awareness...... However it takes someone with at least half an arm to get the ball to the receivers and despite f vcking up plenty of times he had his share of good games.....Your reference to Johnsons being a headcase is precisely why I mentioned him as a comparison to that of WG. Both had talent but didn't always have their head in the best place....Both were also FAR and away 5x better than what we have now.

Again, Hernandez was far and away better at TE than anything we have had since. I would rather do without.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Again, Hernandez was far and away better at TE than anything we have had since. I would rather do without.
That's a bit of a reach.....One guy was a jerk that drank too much, another spiked his protein shake with a little extra creatine......and the other was a multiple murderer.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.