Bama game next week - thoughts?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
After watching that and especially Driskel I think Saban is just going to load the box and just make sure Robinson doesn't get the ball in space like that so much. Their defense is down some from previous years but it looks like we wont be that hard to defend considering they have much better talent than KY but we will see I guess. I do think our defense will improve a lot and a 2012 type victory isn't 100% out of the question.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think your opinion here is unreasonable, though I wouldn't discredit UK's talent, or their current head coach. As some other posters have stated, this isn't the Kentucky of old.

I don't like UF's chances against Bama, however, I'm not willing to write them off entirely. It will, however, take a perfect, mistake free game for the Gators to pull off a victory against Bama in their own house, and that stands for the O-line, Safety coverage, and Driskel's decision making. We are talented enough to play with Bama, IMHO, it's those other factors will need to fall in place to make it happen.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
giphy.gif

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n50030 said:
I don't think your opinion here is unreasonable, though I wouldn't discredit UK's talent, or their current head coach. As some other posters have stated, this isn't the Kentucky of old.

I don't like UF's chances against Bama, however, I'm not willing to write them off entirely. It will, however, take a perfect, mistake free game for the Gators to pull off a victory against Bama in their own house, and that stands for the O-line, Safety coverage, and Driskel's decision making. We are talented enough to play with Bama, IMHO, it's those other factors will need to fall in place to make it happen.

KY is like Tenn imo - a year away from really making a move. I think they are a 4 or 5 win team at most this season.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n50039 said:
KY is like Tenn imo - a year away from really making a move. I think they are a 4 or 5 win team at most this season.

Well, they already have two W's, and play Vandy next, so that's 3 (Vandy is horrible this year). ULM makes 4.
Miss St, Missouri, Tennessee, and Louisville all seem like games Kentucky has a shot at.

You may be right with 4-5 wins, but I'm not sure that really reflects who they are. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the game for most of their games, with a shot to win as many as 8 games this year (no I'm not saying they will and in fact I think it's unlikely). I will say this...Kentucky will beat someone this year that they probably shouldn't.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n50012 said:
After watching that and especially Driskel I think Saban is just going to load the box and just make sure Robinson doesn't get the ball in space like that so much. Their defense is down some from previous years but it looks like we wont be that hard to defend considering they have much better talent than KY but we will see I guess. I do think our defense will improve a lot and a 2012 type victory isn't 100% out of the question.

Seriously, if I'm Saban its pretty damn simple and like you said load the box to stop Taylor and Jones. Go man on defense and double cover Robinson. Then sit back and make Driskel beat you. Saban will watch game film and see that Driskel can't hit 20-30 yrd verticals or hit deep sideline patterns. Saban will also shrug his shoulders and see pedestrian pass routes that are neither sharp or well timed. Saban also knows the Gators are very poorly coached and led by a staff that does not adjust during the game. What you see in the first half is what you get in the second. By the third quarter Saban will have his 2nd stringers in and already have his head wrapped around Ole Miss the following week. Sometimes there is a beauty to simplicity. But in this case its a friggin' nightmare.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
I Have No Friends :(;n50046 said:
Because.. reasons?

Defensively we match up better with them than people think. What killed us the most tonight on defense? Towles. Sims is no Towles. So we put VH3 on Cooper, and Cooper will get his catches don't get me wrong, but he won't be as big a factor, contain the run, and see what Sims can do to win the game himself.

Also, their secondary is suspect. Robinson can burn them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We'd have a better chance if they fired Mushcramp in the morning.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
PaulDrake;n50045 said:
Seriously, if I'm Saban its pretty damn simple and like you said load the box to stop Taylor and Jones. Go man on defense and double cover Robinson. Then sit back and make Driskel beat you. Saban will watch game film and see that Driskel can't hit 20-30 yrd verticals or hit deep sideline patterns. Saban will also shrug his shoulders and see pedestrian pass routes that are neither sharp or well timed. Saban also knows the Gators are very poorly coached and led by a staff that does not adjust during the game. What you see in the first half is what you get in the second. By the third quarter Saban will have his 2nd stringers in and already have his head wrapped around Ole Miss the following week. Sometimes there is a beauty to simplicity. But in this case its a friggin' nightmare.

How can you even type this and think its accurate? Be negative all you want as long as you make valid points. The adjustments on offense in the second half offensively were obvious.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Ky beat the national champs a few years ago... This was a quality win... Not ky of old

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
601Gator said:
PaulDrake;n50045 said:

How can you even type this and think its accurate? Be negative all you want as long as you make valid points. The adjustments on offense in the second half offensively were obvious.
Ok. I'm open to being wrong. Name them and show me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anywhere from a 3 point win to a 14 point loss.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My thoughts on the bama game, I don't have a very good feeling about it. I think you're going to get a better effort from us. Let's just see if we can stop their running game. And hopefully we can run the ball ourselves. We'll need the ball to bounce our way a few times. It's just hard to imagine beating bama right now but we'll see.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can I compare Kentucky to west Virginia? It may be crazy I'm just looking for some optimism moving forward.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
That was a tough game last night, a big jump up from the week before. The guys won't go cruising into Bama thinking they just won 65-0. They will know they must improve to win. Don't know they will, but can. Maybe they will underestimate us a bit. If we give them the effort Kentucky gave us, I'll be happy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator said:
PaulDrake;n50045 said:

The problem last night from my vantage point wasn't playcalling. It was execution. Late and poorly thrown balls, drops by receivers. We took a decided step back from a week ago, and by no coincidence. We were playing a much better defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.