Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread: 7'7" Olivier Rioux, "World's Tallest Teenager", commits to Florida

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

Love seeing the big name transfers we’re linked to. Need to land a handful and go into ‘23 with some hope

We really need some more guards who can score consistently. I love what this kid says about Golden. That's great to hear. His reputation is good enough that talented kids are paying attention. Perhaps Golden was a good hire after all. Let's see who he can land on the roster. Mike White killed it here in recruiting. I expect the same from Golden.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We really need some more guards who can score consistently. I love what this kid says about Golden. That's great to hear. His reputation is good enough that talented kids are paying attention. Perhaps Golden was a good hire after all. Let's see who he can land on the roster. Mike White killed it here in recruiting. I expect the same from Golden.

I wouldn’t say that he killed in recruiting. He did get good transfers though.

Everybody that he recruited regressed.

His best years were when he got good transfers to come in. But then they would normally regress the next year because
his coaching sucked.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn’t say that he killed in recruiting. He did get good transfers though.

Everybody that he recruited regressed.

His best years were when he got good transfers to come in. But then they would normally regress the next year because
his coaching sucked.
He brought in, year after year, a surprising amount of talent including many 4 and 5-star players. Even Billy D had difficulty brining in 5-star players. In fact, Billy Dee's last two 5-Star recruits prolly ran his ass out of the college game (Super bust- "Sky" Walker and 50% free thrower PG, Kasey Hill.) Billy excelled with a tight group of players maximizing their team potential and talents. Mike White couldn't develop a roll of film.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are his rankings over the last several years. First is conference recruiting. 2nd is national ranking.

2021 - 11/51
2020 - 10/40
2019 - 2/8
2018 - 5/19
2017 - 5/20

Golden’s first year which was White’s last year was 11/47

Three consecutive classes that averaged around 45th in the nation. That’s why we stunk this year.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
This kid is an athletic 7’1. i like this pickup.

I was watching that FAU Final-Four team thinking that is the offense that Golden wants to run. In order to play that style, you need an athletic team of bigs who can run (04's anyone?). This kid fits the mold. Come on down. And Bring your friends who can shoot the rock.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Here are his rankings over the last several years. First is conference recruiting. 2nd is national ranking.

2021 - 11/51
2020 - 10/40
2019 - 2/8
2018 - 5/19
2017 - 5/20

Golden’s first year which was White’s last year was 11/47

Three consecutive classes that averaged around 45th in the nation. That’s why we stunk this year.
2019 was a class for the ages. One of our best ever (hat tip to the 04's). It's not often that Florida BB ended up top 10 in the nation in talent. Mike White lost more than half that class after one year. 2021, he was already on the way out. The fans were tired of his conservative and boring play producing zero results to write home about.

Maybe I'm over thinking the talent gap. Just get same damn players already!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are White’s 5* recruits

1. Nembhard - Averaged about 10 points a game and then went to Gonzaga. He was sixth man of the year his first year there, and then he was all Conference his second year.

Interestingly, enough, his stats were about the same at Gonzaga. Although his shooting percentage did go up. Everybody who played at UF had a low shooting percentage. I’m not sure that white ever even had the them practice shooting the ball.

2. Scottie Lewis - averaged eight points a game. Played two years.

3. Tre Mann - probably his biggest success story. Averaged 16 points per game as a sophomore. Unfortunately, he left to the NBA after his sophomore season.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Here are White’s 5* recruits

1. Nembhard - Averaged about 10 points a game and then went to Gonzaga. He was sixth man of the year his first year there, and then he was all Conference his second year.

Interestingly, enough, his stats were about the same at Gonzaga. Although his shooting percentage did go up. Everybody who played at UF had a low shooting percentage. I’m not sure that white ever even had the them practice shooting the ball.

2. Scottie Lewis - averaged eight points a game. Played two years.

3. Tre Mann - probably his biggest success story. Averaged 16 points per game as a sophomore. Unfortunately, he left to the NBA after his sophomore season.
Now how many 5*'s for Billy Dee during his last 6 seasons?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2019 was a class for the ages. One of our best ever (hat tip to the 04's). It's not often that Florida BB ended up top 10 in the nation in talent. Mike White lost more than half that class after one year. 2021, he was already on the way out. The fans were tired of his conservative and boring play producing zero results to write home about.

Maybe I'm over thinking the talent gap. Just get same damn players already!
Here’s a handful of years under Donovan:
year and the national rank

99 - 8
01 - 2
03 - 11
04 -8
07 - 1
08 - 4

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Now how many 5*'s for Billy Dee during his last 6 seasons?

2010 - Patric Young

2011 - Bradley Beal

2012 - 2 players ranked in the top 100. The other two players were ranked in the next 200. This class gave us Michael Fraziers.

2013 - Chris Walker and Kasey Hill

2014 - Devin Robinson (but this is also the year that we got Francis and Chiozza - they were both about five spots from being 5*)

2015 - no five stars. But all the players were ranked in the top 100.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Clayton commits tomorrow- feeling really good there

Tyrese Samuel and Aly Khalifa visit this weekend

Final 2 for Samuel
Final 2 for Clayton

Perry is looking good at the moment as well who just finished a visit

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Here’s a handful of years under Donovan:
year and the national rank

99 - 8
01 - 2
03 - 11
04 -8
07 - 1
08 - 4
Wow, surprising. Guess I was wrong. Didn't realize Billy recruited so well. I always thought it was his defense and team building/maximizing that made him great. It often felt like we missed out on the very best players who ended up at Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. I only remember Bradly Beal as the last standout 5* that Billy coached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.