Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
F beer... :grouphug:
guy_smoking_marijuana.jpeg

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Those saying it would lead to 'safer' fans in that they aren't getting hammered in the tailgating area....maybe. I'd concede you have people with the opportunity to get fighting drunk in a parking lot and be arrested or pass out, thus never making it into the stadium, but those should be few and far between. More likely, in my mind, is that people know how to handle their alcohol with the current situation where you pre-load and/or sneak something in, but above all you are managing your retardedness so as not to be thrown out. Once you are in the stands, and if you are getting beer freely, I don't know how much that self-control remains functional (maybe I'm just projecting based on my drunken college days). However, the lines (for beer AND urinals) and high prices may diffuse the amount of drunken idiots on the loose, or maybe those pre-loading at the tailgate keep the same pre-load and then add to it upon entering. I dunno, maybe the change is bad at first then regains an equilibrium of people knowing how to handle it. Like I said, I'd rather see other schools prove the theory, and if it works then we can reap the financial rewards without taking the risk of being a pilot school for the program.

stephenPE;n235504 said:
Seriously, the last few years may have gone better with a few beers along the way. Of course you have mean drunks.sad drunks and fighting drunks so who knows where it would have lead to.

Ha. This brings to mind the image of the last few years having several angry drunks demanding more beer, preferably for free, for buying tickets and attending those horrendous games. At least the cops could hang out near the vending windows and arrest the obvious problem children. At the sametime you have the sad drunks out in the stands crying all over one another at the terrible product on the field, most likely in a downpour so as to compound their misery. Funny images.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Selective amnesia ;) Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that article, or caught how many schools had tried it already or what their success rate was beyond the mention of WVU application of it and ATM's intent to try it. Your OP only links to a short article indicating Texas is considering it, not that other schools had success already. Not discounting your comments on WVU's success, but I read them as your opinion as it didn't have any facts to support it. I apologize (note to self, take NV statements as fact ;) ).

Solid link on bloomberg in that it addresses my concerns as tested at WVU (been going since 2011)
- Additional $700k revenue (knowing WVU fans drink as much, or more, than our fans do at games)
- "Pass Outs" (ability to leave at halftime to drink, then re-enter the stadium) were cancelled, which UF has already done I think
- Calls to police dropped 15%, Arrests dropped 20%

What is also mentioned, without depth, is licensing at all venues (WVU only did home football games). I'm not sure how much of the $700k was strictly counter sales versus sponsorship (Budweiser in-stadium advertising, for example), or what the possible upside would be financially for the sponsorship aspect, or multiple stadium sales (basketball, baseball, softball, etc).

The link, for those that hadn't seen it, also refers to Univ. of Louisiana also gained $150k revenue but doesn't say anything else about their experience.

NV - any other schools beyond WVU (success!), Texas (considering it), and U of LA (Financial gain, no word on arrests) that you know of having done this or their experience?

I can't imagine WVU fans drinking less than us, but I don't have a feel for how 'angry' they may be towards rivals leading to more fights. Still, the police aspects of it speak volumes. Personally, I don't know if this sways me to try it at UF before other schools get on board and prove it out. By my opinion doesn't carry that much weight. I doubt Foley will get on board, being as conservative as it is.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt Foley won't get on board and Slive probably won't either.

As for other schools, Texas has already changed with all other sports except football so it must be working there as well.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IDK, the cheerleaders will have to do the Surgeon General's Warning cheer, which goes. "Caution, alcohol can
lead to you marrying somebody like my wife. "

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Marianna said:
I heard Ackerman discussing this on his radio show the other day and he said that UF will not sale beer at the game's as long as Foley Is the AD.

For this very reason alone they should fire Foley.....:drunk:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n235870 said:
For this very reason alone they should fire Foley.....:drunk:

What because someone thinks this or because through some magical method we know that it is the case. I have read nothing about the official policy on Beer sales other than the status quo. I bet there are not facilities to sell beer and that would require some additions or modifications to the system of selling stuff. Surely not on tap, and I don't think bottles or cans are an acceptable way of distribution.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n235945 said:
What because someone thinks this or because through some magical method we know that it is the case. I have read nothing about the official policy on Beer sales other than the status quo. I bet there are not facilities to sell beer and that would require some additions or modifications to the system of selling stuff. Surely not on tap, and I don't think bottles or cans are an acceptable way of distribution.

Plastic bottles are the preferred method for most venues if I'm not mistaken.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n235983 said:
Plastic bottles are the preferred method for most venues if I'm not mistaken.

He obviously doesn't get out much.....Most Vulcans don't.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
VulcanAlex;n235945 said:

Ok, to those of us who are not Vulcan, it was meant to be an exaggerated statement to proclaim my never dying love for frosty cold golden sodas...The part about Foley losing his job for denying me those frosty ones was to be taken as a joke, or again an exaggeration.....or maybe not.For Vulcans this post should be disregarded as just more message board foolishness....

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n235096 said:
I always preferred to drink JD during the football games.

Jeff Driskel? Pretty sick dude, pretty sick

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
alcoholica;n236013 said:
Jeff Driskel? Pretty sick dude, pretty sick

Frequent use leads to coughing things up, and praying to blackout. Hangovers last an entire off-season.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't there an SEC rule prohibiting an "on campus" stadium from selling alcohol?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n236148 said:
Isn't there an SEC rule prohibiting an "on campus" stadium from selling alcohol?

I thought it was an SEC deal as well. I think they can sell to premium seats or some stadiums allow alcohol to be brought in by certain level ticket holders. So it sounds more like a "public" sale issue.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n236234 said:
I thought it was an SEC deal as well. I think they can sell to premium seats or some stadiums allow alcohol to be brought in by certain level ticket holders. So it sounds more like a "public" sale issue.

I think this is correct. I remember when we played Missy State in Orlando back in the 90s as a home game for them and beer was sold during the game.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm an IPA fan, an IPA snob actually, and I have a limit on how much fizzy yellow swill I will drink and how long I have to wait in line to get said swill. I doubt there would be any decent beers offered at the stadium (especially if all they're going to vend is plastic bottles), so this is really a non-issue to me. Would I drink an ice cold fizzy yellow beer if someone at the game handed it to me? You betcha!
:snob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.