Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Bianchi is funny, and wrote some good stuff for the Sun. He is a gator but has learned to not be a homer. Jack was not beloved. He was around for along time. He got sideways with Charlie Pell and that caused some problems. The guy before him was my favorite Sports Editor. I will have to look up his name but the coverage was amazing then. The sunday section after a game was orange colored and they had mult; pics of TD passes. Joe Halberstein. was his name, I enjoyed his columns as a young teen.

On another post, I praised the tireless efforts of Bill Buchalter of the Orlando Sentinel. I consider Bill as one of the three all time GREAT (along with Bernie Kahn of the Daytona Beach News-Journal & Joe Halberstein of the Gainesville Sun) prep sportswriters in Florida. Please post the names of other such sportswriters of whom I am unaware. These folks all should be recognized for their contributions to Florida high school sports.
Here is Joe\'s obit from the Gainesville Sun:

Gainesville Sun
June 5, 2006

Joe Halberstein

Joe Halberstein of Levittown, Pa., died May 29 of natural causes. He was 83.

Mr. Halberstein grew up in St. Marys, Ohio, and lived in several cities including Gainesville before moving to Pennsylvania in 1975. He was a retired newspaper columnist and a former Gainesville Sun editor.

Mr. Halberstein worked in Gainesville from 1955 to 1971, first as a news wire editor and then as a sports editor. Most recently, he was a columnist for the Bucks County Courier Times outside of Philadelphia.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Living in Gainesville in the 90's, I remember Bianchi getting people riled up from time to time. Can anyone tell me who the writer was before him in Gainesville and why they left?

Bianchi is a rabble-rousing jerk, but at least he can actually write. Pat Dooley couldn't hold Bianchi's jock.

Jack Hairston

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A one week suspension from picking games. I'm glad he did something drastic as that. I'll reserve my comments regarding Beeonkee for another date and time.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He made one mistake. He should suspend himself 25 years instead of one week. They kicked his butt out of Gainesville and gave him no access a few years back. There is no doubt he is a big f$u fan and hates the gators. Not many gator fans read the Orlando slantnel. He deserves what he is getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator