Billy’s Buyout

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Shane Matthews is tearing up Billy’s play calling.
Shane has a lot of backtracking to do on his take on the offense, Billy, and Mertz. So, just say "this is not what I saw when I told everyone how explosive we would be." Yeah. No shyte. But, this is what we have seen from Billy on 18 demonstrative occasions.

If we add a creative OC and an on field ST coach, we might very well be undefeated.

How do you write this and not doubt the coach who gets such poor results with this roster.

next year I will be saying I told you so.

Have you looked at the schedule? This was Billy's year to start strong against a very weak lineup (yes including Utah who has proven nearly as inept as us on offense) so he could absorb next year's pain. Oh well. He needs a massive run from here or his conclusion is about 95% written in stone after this year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If the admin or mods, any of whom has had plenty of time to contemplate taking action, want to delete my posts, by all means feel free. There is no means to do so on Tapatalk that I'm aware of.

But that's besides the point. The subject of this went so far as to reveal that he played Div. 1 ball, punctuating it with the "mic drop" comment. :lol: I could be very wrong, but I doubt tharber has any issue over it. If he does, please accept my apologies.

On the contrary, he seems to have gained his stride since I outed him. I'd almost go so far as to say he's rather enjoying the celebrity status he's being afforded.

And SEC14, are you not in some way participating in the foul by actively engaging tharber in a way that acknowledges his celebrity? I think so.

Goes both ways.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just don’t understand why we are the only team in the country that can never have immediate impacts from incoming Freshmen and our coaches need years before we see decent results for their implemented system.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

A weee bit defensive
This didn't seem as defensive as I thought from reading before watching. Despite my joining others in criticizing Billy's most base plan to win games and approach that flows from it, I think he handled the hotter press (really just one guy - I think Nick DLT and good for him) well and showed a lot of what we like in Billy/why we hope he succeeds.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
And SEC14, are you not in some way participating in the foul by actively engaging tharber in a way that acknowledges his celebrity? I think so.
This is a fair point ... to some extent. It just seemed like it can't be ignored/taken back at some point. I also recognized this was a bit closer call due to the level of details provided and the not quite secretive screen name. My point was more prospective looking and to observe I wish he hadn't been named, unless he was asked (maybe by DM) and chose to do so.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not one single person thought we had a decent OL coming into this year as it was absolutely ignored by Mullen.
Youre 100% wrong. There were numerous posts on this board about insiders saying the line was going to be at least as good as last year, probably better and that the transfers were studs. Napier indicated the o-line would be a team strength. There were a handful of us that scoffed at the notion and a bunch of folks like you that finger-wagged in our direction repeatedly.

Also, pretending that expectations were low for poorly performing position groups doesn't exactly prove your point or make anyone think we're on the right track. Frankly, if things were as you continue to (incorrectly) state, its more of an indictment on tater than anything else. 2 OL coaches, 2 crootin cycles and an offense wholly reliant on a dominant o-line and the garbage we see is what was expected?

If I were billy, I'd ask you to refrain from further defending me on any topic.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the admin or mods, any of whom has had plenty of time to contemplate taking action, want to delete my posts, by all means feel free. There is no means to do so on Tapatalk that I'm aware of.

But that's besides the point. The subject of this went so far as to reveal that he played Div. 1 ball, punctuating it with the "mic drop" comment. :lol: I could be very wrong, but I doubt tharber has any issue over it. If he does, please accept my apologies.

On the contrary, he seems to have gained his stride since I outed him. I'd almost go so far as to say he's rather enjoying the celebrity status he's being afforded.

Goes both ways.
Huh? I’m not deleting your posts.

Post away!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Shane has a lot of backtracking to do on his take on the offense, Billy, and Mertz. So, just say "this is not what I saw when I told everyone how explosive we would be." Yeah. No shyte. But, this is what we have seen from Billy on 18 demonstrative occasions.
I got torn up for shredding Shane's preseason take especially on the offensive line. Anyone who watches or claims to know anything CFB related and thought we would be better than last years offensive line is either talking out of his a hole or smoking some good sh!t...What most don't stop to think is how bad Karl's antiquated offense and dull playcalling made that very good unit look pedestrian.....and it's not helping this years group either.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I never could figure out how we'd lose a road-grading All-American Guard and expect to be better on the line in year #2. I sort of feel like Cy'bo and Johnson got Napier this job by dominating the Sunbelt for him.
I get the feeling new staffs come in and favor their recruits, expecting their evaluations and development to be better and they quietly let players move on. MisChimp did it and it hurts.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Youre 100% wrong. There were numerous posts on this board about insiders saying the line was going to be at least as good as last year, probably better and that the transfers were studs. Napier indicated the o-line would be a team strength. There were a handful of us that scoffed at the notion and a bunch of folks like you that finger-wagged in our direction repeatedly.

Also, pretending that expectations were low for poorly performing position groups doesn't exactly prove your point or make anyone think we're on the right track. Frankly, if things were as you continue to (incorrectly) state, its more of an indictment on tater than anything else. 2 OL coaches, 2 crootin cycles and an offense wholly reliant on a dominant o-line and the garbage we see is what was expected?

I was just about to write a very detailed reply to the same comment, but see you beat me to it. I will never understand this constant need of a certain section of our fanbase to absolutely trash our own players to defend incompetent coaching. It happens every hire without fail, and often times it's the same people, failed coach after failed coach, who do it.

Blame the offensive line all you want. You could replace our offensive line with Bama's and we'd still have the same struggles on offense, albeit with a bit more success. Our issues on offense aren't solely a talent issue; there is a fundamental flaw in our offensive philosophy that will always hold our own team back. It's akin to tying one hand behind our backs before climbing in the octagon to fight. We just don't do a good job schematically of putting ourselves in positions to consistently beat the defense. We try to emulate Harbaugh's "running game in a phone booth" he used at Stanford with our bunch formations, yet rather than using extra offensive linemen and TE's to essentially run goal line formations the entire way down the field, we line up in the pistol with 2 or 3 WR's in the formation and bunch everyone together as close as we can. Our passing game is so basic and unimaginative that opposing DC's have realized that they can afford to outnumber us, or at least match us, in the box to shutdown our running game without putting themselves at too much risk in the passing game.

This is what frustrates most of us watching Billy's offense. Blame our players all you want, but I would be willing to bet any amount of money that the fat turd from UT (Heupel) could take our current roster on offense and average over 30 points a game with them. Why am I so confident about that? Because he runs a sound system that consistently puts his offense at an advantage against the defense. We beat UT essentially because they couldn't win 7 vs 5 in the box with their running game. That's it. It wasn't a schematic issue, it was purely a talent issue. Our D-line whipped their O-line, which allowed our secondary to make it very hard on their passing game to be consistently successful against it. Now do this with Billy's offense. We have people absolutely vilifying our offensive line because they can't move the defense vs even numbers to +1 for the defense in the box. I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to happen on a consistent basis when there's zero threat of a viable passing game to back the defense off the line and out of the box.

Having said all that, we do have issues with talent on the line. We also have talent issues with our starting QB that holds back our passing game. These issues can cripple any offensive scheme, but especially one that relies on razor thin margins to be successful like Billy Ball. There's a reason lesser talented teams run schemes that consistently give them numbers advantages against the defense; it's the best chance to be successful. Well how much more would that hold true for a team that's more talented? There is simply no excuse in 2023 to run an offense like Billy's; the rules favor the offense too much to justify otherwise.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

I believe sling blades exact words when asked about this teams offensive outlook in fall camp were "just wait, you guys don't know what I know and haven't seen what I've seen". So yeah this tharber guy is completely full of ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.