Billy Napier Intro Press Conference Thread; immediately followed with live Oxcast

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
"I think the important part here is that we don't get consumed with the stars., 4 star, 5 star. I think it's more about evaluation". - Billy "Sling Blade" Napier 12/3/21

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
"I think the important part here is that we don't get consumed with the stars., 4 star, 5 star. I think it's more about evaluation". - Billy "Sling Blade" Napier 12/3/21

Well there’s some truth to that. There’s a reason many of our great classes never won anything, and 3* James was 10x more productive than 5* Shorter(to date). It may seem like Smart and Saban are just loading up on 4-5* players, but they’re still evaluating and finding their guys who fit. I think #99 was a 3*. Recruiting is just infectious, so once you get that momentum, everybody wants to join.

Don’t forget he also called recruiting the most important piece and even mentioned that both teams in Atl the night before were at the top in recruiting.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, great job as always. Wish you never stopped the podcasts but I understand why you did. Loved the Ghostbusters gear in the background. Did you like the new movie? I thought it was really well done.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, great job as always. Wish you never stopped the podcasts but I understand why you did. Loved the Ghostbusters gear in the background. Did you like the new movie? I thought it was really well done.
Good but felt it could have been much better.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well there’s some truth to that. There’s a reason many of our great classes never won anything, and 3* James was 10x more productive than 5* Shorter(to date). It may seem like Smart and Saban are just loading up on 4-5* players, but they’re still evaluating and finding their guys who fit. I think #99 was a 3*. Recruiting is just infectious, so once you get that momentum, everybody wants to join.

Don’t forget he also called recruiting the most important piece and even mentioned that both teams in Atl the night before were at the top in recruiting.
Fingers are crossed. But he said what he said.
Chump recruited stars regardless of need. So there is a wrong way to do it. At the end of the day though he'll need top 3 classes. Especially if he's dedicated to the ground game.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What did Dooley say.... couldn't hear him, but could tell Billy didn't care for it by how dismissive he was...

I had to leave the Ox's podcast early and didn't get to respond to some of the things he was saying. But as far as Dooley is concerned he was without microphone and very difficult to hear but I think I heard him stay the words "opening" and "Utah." So I'm going to guess he asked about the pressure of winning that first game with a NY6 bowl team. The way he dismissed Dooley it falls in line with the way he thinks: first things, first. It was kind of funny though I am probably wrong but it sure sounds like that what Dooley was asking him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fingers are crossed. But he said what he said.
Chump recruited stars regardless of need. So there is a wrong way to do it. At the end of the day though he'll need top 3 classes. Especially if he's dedicated to the ground game.

Yeah I don’t disagree. But you’re not insisting on an army of analysts only to tell them they’re wrong and you want Johnny 2* because he’s a fit. He also said that if he can’t get the top kids to UF, he wouldn’t be here long or he was the wrong guy(paraphrasing).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I don’t disagree. But you’re not insisting on an army of analysts only to tell them they’re wrong and you want Johnny 2* because he’s a fit. He also said that if he can’t get the top kids to UF, he wouldn’t be here long or he was the wrong guy(paraphrasing).
Yeah, there are coaches at 125 schools who would love to have homefield advantage as the flagship of Florida.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
One more thing about Napier's presser. What did everyone expect him to say regarding Butters? Trash and be dismissive of him as loser coach? Saying that would have been bad optics is an understatment. It would be instant gratification for some to have him really throw down on Chimp, Butters, and Mullethead. There are those on the board who are thin skinnd as hell, quick to judge and quick to anger. They shall go unnamed by me as I have my own idiosyncrises and flaws that are obvious and open to derision and so be it. Napier was right to do the respectful thing regarding Clarabelle's dumbassed owner and just leave it at that.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@delatorre: Writing about the "scared money don't make money line"

Towards the end of the quote Napier said:

"I think it's gonna help me justify all these times I go for fourth down."

Tough development for the #PuntersArePeopleToo movement.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
David Waters went for the jugular and wanted to know Napier’s intentions for the offense, and he was honest about LOS and the importance of ground game.

Dooley was the one reporter Billy gave the brush off to. He knows the score.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Sorry dude, you belong to a club now that no one wants to be a member of.
I’ve been a member for going on 17 years now and while it’s never easy for the kids, it’s toughest on the spouse left behind. Most men, especially of our parents generation, fully expected to pass first and planned their lives that way. I know in my own Dad’s case it was very hard on him and he was much lonelier than had the reverse occurred. @G. Gordon Gator I highly recommend keeping an eye on your Dad for a while. Feel free to PM me if you want any stories of how it went for our family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.