Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
https://www-tampabay-com.cdn.amppro...r-brian-kelly-thats-okay-florida-gators-fans/

"Over 36 hours, one premier team poached the winningest coach at one of the sport’s most storied programs away from a team that’s still in the College Football Playoff hunt. Another landed an offensive genius with four Big 12 titles, three playoff appearances and two Heisman winners.

The Gators got a 42-year-old from the Sun Belt".

Same story:

“But neither is a sure thing because sure things don’t exist in this industry.”

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Good article! :thumbup:

This was my least favorite part:

The scheme includes some Air Raid from his stint in 2017 under former Sun Devils head coach Todd Graham, and he borrowed Jim McElwain’s tactics for instructing and teaching passers, something on display during this quarterback meeting. :(

Makes me curious as to McElwain’s position coaching ability. He was definitely in over his head at UF. Hopefully there were some useful pieces to pick up. I’ve learned a lot about what to do and not do from flawed leaders.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

Some interesting insight. Napier turned down Mississippi State because they didn't have the resources he wanted. He turned down Auburn because the coach there is controlled by the boosters. He did NOT want the LSU job because there are investigations going on all over that place, including federal crimes that were committed (which may also explain why Riley didn't want it).

It's reiterated that Napier wouldn't take the job unless he was promised the resources he needed.

Sounds like this guy is the total opposite of what we got with Mullen. I've said all along we need a coach that can relate on the crooting trail, build relationships and demand the support from UAA and the AD in order to get the job done. I don't think doofus gave 2 shts about any of that and it showed.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
God damn Muschumping motherfuchser.

I hope youre lying though.

But if your not, this will be over quickly.

Many coaches think “if we just make fewer mistakes we will win.” That’s a big element, but-eventually you’ll face the teams that are just as efficient AND have more talent. Those are your playoff teams & conference champions.

Muschamp likes to fight in a phone booth. Saban adapted and stretches the field in every direction. That plus the disparity at QB make me think Bama wins Saturday. UGA has been 60% run with their little QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
found this old photo of you with Urg and Born.

1c7e4906272bb2b199cc475eed54a9c0.jpg
Urg is the tallest, right?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Makes me curious as to McElwain’s position coaching ability. He was definitely in over his head at UF. Hopefully there were some useful pieces to pick up. I’ve learned a lot about what to do and not do from flawed leaders.
Did he learn to bring his dwag?

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Is there a way to look at attempts? Specifically, was there a drop off in attempts at one point? I would think that might be more indicative of what he’s trying to scheme, but maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.