Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Both are gambles, but with Kiffin at least you know you're getting a serious recruiter and a great offense.

He was down 35-0 to Alabama just a month ago. Emory Jones scored more points against the Tide defense than Kiffin and Corrall.

Points per game is something like a 1 point difference between OM and UL this season.

And with his best ever P5 season, he’s parlayed it into a recruiting class that’s currently behind us—a team with no coach.

Which part of all this is so exciting again?

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
He was down 35-0 to Alabama just a month ago. Emory Jones scored more points against the Tide defense than Kiffin and Corrall.

Points per game is something like a 1 point difference between OM and UL this season.

And with his best ever P5 season, he’s parlayed it into a recruiting class that’s currently behind us—a team with no coach.

Which part of all this is so exciting again?

So Kiffin, in his second year with one of the least talented rosters in the SEC, is doing better on offense in the toughest division in the toughest conference than Napier, with 4 seasons to build his team, is doing in the Sun Belt. How does that make Kiffin look bad?

If you want to talk losses, his Auburn loss is much more embarrassing than his Alabama loss.

I don't really follow Ole Miss recruiting, but it looks like he's focused on a handful of elite uncommitted prospects and plans to hit the transfer portal to rebuild depth. We'll see how that strategy pans out for him.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You were lucky to even get into UF.

And I know nothing about you.

But it is an elite university now.

And that's the point.

What's that get you?

I just went to a convention a few months ago. And a women who now lives in Naples...very educated...said the kids she knows say..."Why even apply to UF? You'll NEVER get in"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This article reads like Napier is running around smelling his own farts angling for a "premier" job. Screw him. If he can't make up his mind, SS needs to pooch kick his Billy Bob ass to the curb.
This is where we need a cold dose of reality.

To coaches in demand, UF is no longer considered a premier job. It is a second-choice job because of their lack of commitment to football. The LSU job is far, far more attractive to a coach. The dedication to lowering seating capacity at the Swamp has also been a turn-off.

At this point, all UF has going for it over the other schools is its physical location. Coaches know they aren't going to get the staff and other resources to win and win big. Even losing schools like Texas and Nebraska have a far bigger commitment to the football program. Hell, even Tennessee.

It appears we're at the point where Napier is trying to negotiate the resources he wants to run the program. None of us would be shocked if he's getting rebuffed on those requests. He's obviously not unhappy at ULL. He's turned down Auburn and Mississippi State already and he seems like the kind of guy that will just keep doing what he's doing until the right opportunity for him comes along. In the meantime, he's going to completely dominate the Sun Belt.

That will make some of you happy, because you prefer a flashy pass-happy dork who is going to flame out quickly.

If Napier tells SS to bugger off, the list of the idiots we are looking at is possibly WORSE than Tennessee-esque. All we can do is pray Stricklin sees the light, because this is the final tipping point. If the admin won't agree to commit to football starting NOW, we are looking at becoming the Nebraska of the south PERMANENTLY. You can forget being in the hunt for titles for the rest of our lives.

Jeremy Foley and his "arms race" attitude is what torpedoed this one-great program.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I think next year has a lot to do with how many transfer out

And transfer in. Roster management is in a new era. If he gets some early momentum in the portal he can plug gaps while he builds the infrastructure & culture to get recruiting rolling.

I thought the pressure on Zook to win now led him to pull in a batch of mediocre JuCos that imbalanced recruiting classes & the roster. That’s a whole different world today.

By the way, Stricklin’s list of attributes is true. It’s obscene that we haven’t recruited better but now the football facility is opening soon, facilities+academics+tradition etc. all become helpful to a staff committed to recruiting.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Call me Mr. Observant ...

I JUST noticed that Scott Stricklin stole Steve Spurrier's initials.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

To coaches in demand, UF is no longer considered a premier job. It is a second-choice job because of their lack of commitment to football. The LSU job is far, far more attractive to a coach. The dedication to lowering seating capacity at the Swamp has also been a turn-off.

At this point, all UF has going for it over the other schools is its physical location. Coaches know they aren't going to get the staff and other resources to win and win big. Even losing schools like Texas and Nebraska have a far bigger commitment to the football program. Hell, even Tennessee.

It appears we're at the point where Napier is trying to negotiate the resources he wants to run the program. None of us would be shocked if he's getting rebuffed on those requests. He's obviously not unhappy at ULL. He's turned down Auburn and Mississippi State already and he seems like the kind of guy that will just keep doing what he's doing until the right opportunity for him comes along. In the meantime, he's going to completely dominate the Sun Belt.

That will make some of you happy, because you prefer a flashy pass-happy dork who is going to flame out quickly.

If Napier tells SS to bugger off, the list of the idiots we are looking at is possibly WORSE than Tennessee-esque. All we can do is pray Stricklin sees the light, because this is the final tipping point. If the admin won't agree to commit to football starting NOW, we are looking at becoming the Nebraska of the south PERMANENTLY. You can forget being in the hunt for titles for the rest of our lives.

Jeremy Foley and his "arms race" attitude is what torpedoed this one-great program.
Agree that UF football is not the brand it once was and is not as attractive as some other schools. Still not convinced Napier is the one though.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

That’s a little dire for my taste. We’ve never been all in to the extent of a Bama. What’s changed is a series of botched and embarrassing decisions on coaches and how best to implement a facilities upgrade.

Metaphorically speaking, UF as a program is the equivalent to a passing team. We have the unique ability based on a number of strategic factors to close ground quickly. But we need the right fit and right direction. I don’t have much faith in Stricklin being the one to maximize those decisions.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Agree that UF football is not the brand it once was and is not as attractive as some other schools. Still not convinced Napier is the one though.
I'm not convinced we can win under Napier, I'm convinced we can REBUILD under Napier. This is a rebuilding team, we have to get into the right mindset. Napier is one of the few coaches I can see at least leaving this program in better shape than he found it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That’s a little dire for my taste. We’ve never been all in to the extent of a Bama. What’s changed is a series of botched and embarrassing decisions on coaches and how best to implement a facilities upgrade.

Metaphorically speaking, UF as a program is the equivalent to a passing team. We have the unique ability based on a number of strategic factors to close ground quickly. But we need the right fit and right direction. I don’t have much faith in Stricklin being the one to maximize those decisions.
It ain't facilities as much as paying for the proper staff. The staff budget should be tripled, if not quadrupled.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not convinced we can win under Napier, I'm convinced we can REBUILD under Napier. This is a rebuilding team, we have to get into the right mindset.
Honest ... I'm not putting in the time to research him and then the admin pulls in some dude from N. Alaskan Mallamute U. :) But if he's a Program Builder ... then he (or someone like him) is what we need. The new coach has GOT to mobilize the alumni to pressure the admin to spend $$$$ on facilities, recruiting, NIL development (this is a fantastic opportunity in time), portal development (this is a fantastic opportunity in time), and Re-Branding. None of that has anything to do with Xs and Os.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not convinced we can win under Napier, I'm convinced we can REBUILD under Napier. This is a rebuilding team, we have to get into the right mindset. Napier is one of the few coaches I can see at least leaving this program in better shape than he found it.
To me, it's about winning in 3-5 years and winning championships in years 4-7. Then lock and reload.
And it's about beating UGA.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It ain't facilities as much as paying for the proper staff. The staff budget should be tripled, if not quadrupled.

I lump the two together in my thinking. We definitely need a better commitment there or nothing else will matter. This business of chasing national championships is no longer about catching lightning in a bottle. You have to have an all-encompassing plan and the willingness to implement it. That bodes well for a guy of Napier’s mindset. I’m just not convinced he’s the guy.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That’s kinda where I’m at. Without a home run hire, we need a builder.

DoubleGator87and90

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017

It appears we're at the point where Napier is trying to negotiate the resources he wants to run the program. None of us would be shocked if he's getting rebuffed on those requests.

All we can do is pray Stricklin sees the light, because this is the final tipping point. If the admin won't agree to commit to football starting NOW, we are looking at becoming the Nebraska of the south PERMANENTLY. You can forget being in the hunt for titles for the rest of our lives.

This is probably the best argument for hiring Napier (if he’ll accept the offer). The decade of bumble-**** head coaches and deteriorating facilities has made the football program unstable and a tarnished brand. IF Napier can bring a structure focused on relentless recruiting and accountability, then the talent level should start to increase and consistent winning should follow. Whether Napier can make the team great rather than consistently good remains to be seen. But, in the absence of a sure-fire great coach being available, I’ll take building a good, consistent foundation over the shtty “known names” we’ve had that have hurt our program rather than advanced it. If the price for stability is a boring, but mildly productive offense and a return to an elite defense due to better recruiting and accountability from the coaching staff, then we can build off of that, as long as the offense isn’t completely incompetent like under the Chimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator