Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
We are literally hiring another Mullen who throws even less. The playbook is almost exactly the same, minus Qpower and Q draw (or they arent called if they are in the book).
The running game has to be effective. I didn't say wishbone offense of old school Ga. Southern but it has to be at lease good enough to draw the attention of the LBs and Safeties.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody says you can’t win by running it 69% of the time, which is what Napier does. But it better come with an air tight defense and a favorable turnover ratio. A potent passing game can help erase mistakes and ease the margin of error. At the very least, your odds of coming from behind late in the game are better.

Besides, who the eff wants to watch a run-heavy offense? We aren’t Wisconsin. The state of Florida is known for producing skilled-position athletes, not beef.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
You cant win without passing in the SEC. It is THE weak spot in SEC defenses. One of the podcast guys did a long article in the athletic about scoring equals explosing plays which equals vertical passing. Maybe someone can point us a link.

Plus passing is what attracts elite gamechangers, whether QB or WR. The elite kids dont want to come and block for option offenses.

Winning is relevant. If you play to win 20-17, you are going to lose to Kintucky half the time. Ask Dan.

Good point. Passing ydg. UF 211. UK 87. We lost

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
“When your team plays lights out defense, you get to play a lot of offense.” -Tim Tebow. Don’t believe it? Watch Saban go up by 10 or more then put the O in low gear on the ground for an 8 minute TD drive or 2. He hasn’t done it as much this year, because of the lack of D.
I’m waaayyyy more concerned with who Napier brings as a DC than any offensive scheme.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nobody says you can’t win by running it 69% of the time, which is what Napier does, but it better come with an air tight defense and a favorable turnover ratio.
I know very little about BN, so this is a serious question: does he run 69% of the time because that’s who he is, because that’s how you win that conference, or because, for whatever reasons, he can’t recruit to ULL the kind of players one needs to be a good passing team?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I know very little about BN, so this is a serious question: does he run 69% of the time because that’s who he is, because that’s how you win that conference, or because, for whatever reasons, he can’t recruit to ULL the kind of players one needs to be a good passing team?
Yes.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Its amusing to watch people try and talk themselves into it using the same tired logic and clichés they used about Muschamp and then McElwain and then Mullen. Lather, rinse, and repeat. 4 years and we'll be doing all this all over again.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Any college WR that wants to play in the league had better be willing to run block. So...if you wonder why some of our best WR didn't do well in the NFL, look no further than that.

Toomer
Fitzgerald
Michael Irvin
Jerry Rice
Muhsan Muhammad to name a few

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It’s actually 57% of the time. I was looking at completions. The attempts were higher. Sorry about that. But it’s still a high amount, Mullinish as a matter of fact.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nobody says you can’t win by running it 69% of the time, which is what Napier does, but it better come with an air tight defense and a favorable turnover ratio. A potent passing game can help erase mistakes and ease the margin of error. At the very least, your odds of coming from behind late in the game are better.

Besides, who the eff wants to watch a run-heavy offense? We aren’t Wisconsin. The state of Florida is known for producing skilled-position athletes, not beef.

I'm hoping the reports are accurate that Spurrier had a hand in making the move from DM. If that's the case, then I believe strongly that he's involved in the new coaching search, because he's not giving his blessing on a run-only, 3-yards, offense. Maybe an insistence on having an OC is part of these negotiations.

Also, his skill positions are not what I'd consider "beef", like what WM tried to bring in. The freshman RB Johnson, for instance, is 5-10, 184 according to their site and is fast, not some lumbering bruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.