Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Contemptuous that an apparent know-nothing outsider (Machen) would have the balls to come in and call football shots. The fans wanted SOS to get a shot. Machen would have nothing of it.

Foley, meanwhile, ran errands for Machen but took as much credit for the Meyer hiring as he could.
So sounds to me like the excitement was not really that high for Meyer. Again not comparing who we get to meyer at all but it seems meyer was an "unknown quantity" who had won everywhere he went. Bowling green and utah aren't exactly high end teams

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who do you think we target as OC and DC if its Napier as HC? Any big names out there that you want?

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So sounds to me like the excitement was not really that high for Meyer. Again not comparing who we get to meyer at all but it seems meyer was an "unknown quantity" who had won everywhere he went. Bowling green and utah aren't exactly high end teams
I honestly can't remember the other candidates swirling around Meyer before he was hired except for Stoops, who was and apperently still is a perennial candidate. Anyone else remember who was getting mentioned with Meyer?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
He looks to be a solid hire, if for no other reason than we have finally moved up to an "N" coach after a sharply declining cavalcade of "M" coaches. The only thing that troubles me about him is his resemblance to Foley.
Foley looks like a Shar Pei

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly can't remember the other candidates swirling around Meyer before he was hired except for Stoops, who was and apperently still is a perennial candidate. Anyone else remember who was getting mentioned with Meyer?
Just Spurrier.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
If I remember, Petrino may have been a fall back to Meyer.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He looks to be a solid hire, if for no other reason than we have finally moved up to an "N" coach after a sharply declining cavalcade of "M" coaches. The only thing that troubles me about him is his resemblance to Foley.

Yeah, hate to rain on the parade, but I’m being told that the stickiest part of the negotiations isn’t about recruiting infrastructure at all, but rather our insistence that he change his last name to Mapier.

Apparently getting pretty intense.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Who do you think we target as OC and DC if its Napier as HC? Any big names out there that you want?

This is part of the UF problem both in hiring good coaches and in putting together a winning staff. When you hire a head coach, you must let him hire the staff he wants. If you think you must dictate staff to him, he is not the right guy for the job.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I feel about the same about Napier and Campbell. I am with you on Mark Stoops. I can not image how an AD could run off a major part of the fan base any quicker than introducing him as the new coach.

Napier at least has potential. Campbell is a proven loser.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Nope. Meyer was all the rage. We beat out ND for him. Nothing at all like this nobody from the backwoods

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Napier at least has potential. Campbell is a proven loser.
Campbell should have jumped when he first hit some unexpected success at ISU. That was a ceiling there and his star is fading as he can't exceed that level without being better than the upper mediocre coach he is.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
many, many Gator Chatter posters rejected Meyer claiming that he could not compete in the SEC. Much the same as the objections to Napier
If Napier can recruit the second coming of Tebow, Harvin, and Spikes, then bring it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator