Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
This is an immediate upgrade. And we would actually be playing some outside linebackers again, which is nice because we have a ton of them.
Should be an immediate focus in recruiting.
Billy needs a big linebacker hall.

We are probably fine with outside linebackers, but who is going to play in the middle?
We need someone bigger and faster there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We need someone bigger and faster there.
We do need immediate help at ILB.

Hopper is playing reasonably well, misses reads too IMO often but he has had total shtt coaching. Perhpas he is just playing a one gap assignment and doing what his double dwag tandem have told him to do.

Chief should be pushing for time too.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Fickell is at a school that has done pretty well on the field and in recruiting over the last two decades. They've had some lean years but they also have handful of 10+ wins season prior to Fickell. Fickell is doing well but he's not doing anything that has never been done before.

Napier went to a school that had never won 10 games in their history and was a bottom feeder in that conference but has completely turned it around. He took a team that was 9th in the Sun Belt in recruiting to the team that has had the #1 Sun Belt class the last 3 years.

I don't hate Fickell, I just personally think Napier is the better candidate.
That’s funny.
I heard something remarkably similar just yesterday about 10 win seasons in the History of their program.

Only it was about a coach in a real football conference, at the P5 level.

Ole Miss

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Should I bring up UGA and their 62nd ranked passing game again?

It is total nonsense you need a top-10 offense to win in the SEC. Hell, defense is probably more important towards winning in the SEC than offense.

Would you prefer Big 12 48-45 type scores than we would have under Kiffin?

UGA's passing offense is terrible and it's why I fully expect them to lose to either Bama or Ohio St but they've gotten by just fine with it so far because they have the #1 defense in the country. Hell Sling blade's defense is ranked almost as low as his offense.

People keep saying Napier is a safer hire than Kiffin but how the fuch do you figure that? Kiffin just fielded the best team in Ole miss history in his 2nd season. Napier is in his 4th or 5th year at ULL and hasn't even won the championship of the worse conference in the country outright. Kiffin would have a top 5 recruiting class at Florida every single year. I'm willing to bet you can count on 1 hand every 4 or 5 star player in the country that's ever heard the name Billy Napier. I'm also willing to bet there's not a single 4 or 5 star player in the country who doesn't already know the name Lane Kiffin.

I think Napier will turn out to be a younger, less dorky version of Butters. He'll be better than Mullen and Muschamp but will still get his ass kicked on the field and on the trail by Kirby. And in 4 or 5 years we're all gonna be here arguing again who the next coach should be. I hope I'm wrong but I've yet to see any proof to prove otherwise, besides what a couple journalist have said. Hell look at how many writers were still calling Mullen the QB whisper 2 weeks ago.

MistaJ

Nov 23, 2021
That’s funny.
I heard something remarkably similar just yesterday about 10 win seasons in the History of their program.

Only it was about a coach in a real football conference, at the P5 level.

Ole Miss

But we've seen what Kiffin can do at a huge university and it's good enough to get left on the tarmac and have your luggage mailed back to your house. He never stays at one place long enough to see what he can do with his own players. He has been run out of a number of big jobs.

If Kiffin were an up and comer then this would be a different story but he's always failed and he's trying to use Corral falling into his lap as a reason to trick his way into another big time program.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
If UF hired Karl we'd have the same crootin troubles we had with Cousin.

Karl did fine with Louisiana 3*s. Those players are accustomed to guys who look and talk like him. Once you start getting southeast of Gadsden County, a lot of your Florida 4*s and 5*s have sensibilities and expectations that are a little worldlier.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I have more faith that Kiffen would hire a competent D coordinator ( Which he did in Durkin) , than Billy would hire a competent O coordinator, which he has not.

Durkin’s D played well against Leach’s offense yesterday.

This is all silly though.

Looks like Strick focused only on Billy.
I can’t imagine he didn’t even make a call to the best G5 coach in college ball right now, Fickell.
Not to mention at least interview Kiffen.

Billy is our guy and we need to accept and move on.

Isn’t the first step to overcome grieving, acceptance?

Step up boys, accept mediocrity.
How do you guys know who got called, whose agent got contacted, etc.?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
If they hired Karl they'd have the same crootin troubles they had with Cousin. Karl did fine with Louisiana 3*s. Those players are accustomed to guys who look and talk like him. Once you start getting southeast of Gadsden County, a lot of your Florida 4*s and 5*s have sensibilities and expectations that are a little worldlier.
I don't agree. I said CDM couldn't recruit from day one. His personality and the way he relates prevented it. Human nature is the same everywhere. Witness Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, etc.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I don't agree. I said CDM couldn't recruit from day one. His personality and the way he relates prevented it. Human nature is the same everywhere. Witness Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, etc.
The times are changing AR. The times are in turmoil right now, actually. Like it or not, Karl's persona and the way he talks make him come across as a type, or stereotype, that is currently out of favor with a large segment of American youth. We ignore that at our crootin peril.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The times are changing AR. The times are in turmoil right now, actually. Like it or not, Karl's persona and the way he talks make him come across as a type, or stereotype, that is currently out of favor with a large segment of American youth. We ignore that at our crootin peril.
Oh, I wish Napier spoke better and presented better. I think UF expects and needs that. I was watching Harsin and thinking he may not be a good coach, but he sounds like he should represent UF. I think you are confusing UF grads with high school recruits.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Well, If you’re looking for a coach that has taken a G5 team into South Bend and won and is sitting at 12-0 headed to the playoff, why not Fickell?

What is Billy’s signature win?
Coastal Carolina or App state?
No, no, Iowa State and Liberty are his best wins!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Donk is so enigmatic. Is he for hiring Napier or against hiring him?
Im against it.

But Im forced to bite the pillow as always.

You claim to be highly educated. I have my doubts. Most highly educated understand things beyond 0 or 1. Maybe you are computer guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator