Bits and Pieces: Florida vs. Florida State

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C43ABBF3-9704-4DE8-921D-A066AB0944A4.jpeg

As the smoke cleared after our final regular season game had concluded and a very necessary last beer of the evening consumed, I reflected on what could have been in Tallahassee last evening against the hated Seminoles. The condensed version was that we were clicking offensively in the first half. Our bread and butter, the running game, had returned after a one week hiatus, and AR looked on the verge of another huge game through the air despite a wafer-thin group of receivers that was severely depleted by injuries. Neither team was looking spectacular on defense, but a missed field goal by F$U and one made by our kicker allowed us to go back into the locker room with a 24-21 lead and some momentum along with the ball to begin the second half. We had reason to be encouraged. Or so I thought.

Then the third quarter started. The first sign that something was wrong was AR’s throw into the flats that was behind the receiver, who was standing alone with no defender within a country mile. The incompletion served notice that Mr. Hyde was now under center and ahead was a stretch where he would go 0/12 passing and collectively we went three and out on our first three possessions of the second half. Gone was the lead and any momentum generated in the first two quarters.

Still, we were almost able to come back in the fourth. Bolstered by the running of ET and Montrell, who each rushed for a touchdown, we had clawed back to within a score. A pass interference penalty gave us a fourth down conversion to start our final possession and we were able to work the ball down the field into scoring position. Unfortunately that would be as close as we’d get and our final play saw AR scrambling under heavy pressure from a DB blitz and making a final throw, under pressure, to nobody.

Defensively, we played well at times. In fact, tackle to tackle we looked about as good as we had at any point in the season. Off tackle and containing Jordan Travis, however, was another matter. We couldn’t consistently set and hold the edge nor could we keep the Noles’ shifty QB hemmed up (Travis threw for 270 and a score and rushed for 83 and two more TDs). The result was another “close, but no cigar” outcome and a disappointing 6-6 final regular season record in Billy Napier’s inaugural Gator football season.
  • The conversation for this game, and really the season, has to begin with Anthony Richardson. As mentioned, what started out looking like an all world performance wound up in the ditch in the third quarter. Despite a great effort in the fourth, it was too little, too late. You can’t beat many teams playing only three quarters of a football game and superstar QBs don’t usually have 0/12 stretches or go 9/27 overall. His three TD passes were fantastic, but as has been the theme of the season, too much Mr. Hyde, not enough Dr. Jekyll.
  • In a night of not quite enough stars, ET and Montrell shined. Each had 17 carries and a TD, ET gaining 129 and Montrell 85. A shout out to the OL is in order as they paved the way for our backs’ success. Even though he only had one fairly long run, AR had 10 rushes for 41 yds and was more involved in the ground game than the week previous. He gets a little shout as well.
  • Despite several good sequences, the defense was unable to keep Travis contained and he made us pay to the tune of one TD passing and two rushing. Their back (Benson) rushed for 111 and three scores on 20 touches. The effort of the D was far above what we saw at Vanderbilt last week, but factoring in mistakes it wasn’t enough to keep us above water after an offensively neutered third quarter.
  • Ultimately Billy bears the responsibility for this game and the team’s performance. There were certainly some things that could have been executed better, but comparatively speaking, I thought his overall plan gave us an opportunity to win. I won’t say it was perfect and I still think he needs an OC, but play scripting, to the naked eye, was better in my opinion. We still have some miscues defensively that are glaring and occur at inopportune moments and our 10 penalties were a factor. But my biggest complaint is the consistency and production of the QB and in retrospect a position coach other than him (and maybe a psychiatrist) should have been employed. If he’s going to really get things turned around, I believe this will be his first big change.
  • For all you whipper snappers out there, essentially guaranteeing a win with your words and not coming through isn’t the sign of a winner. A big mouth don’t make a big man.
  • I’m expecting quite a bit of portal action for us, in both directions. Don’t think it will necessarily be a bad thing. If the recruiting trajectory remains as expected, the changes will be good for us overall. All Billy’s got to do is win. Realistically I’d think beat the guys you’re supposed to and split with those you’re not, but we’ll see.
I know a lot probably think I’m too critical of AR. I am very critical, but there’s good reason. First and foremost, he’s the QB of the Gators and there’s a mountain of responsibility that comes with that designation. You can’t lead or win consistently if your play runs the gamut from spectacular one minute to dog shti the next, whether it’s from game to game or within a game itself. He has all the tools to be great, but appears to lack the soul and mental fortitude to be much more than a .500 QB and a coach-killer to boot. I don’t think that he is a bad kid, unintelligent or dark-hearted, but I do believe that he is too frequently uninterested and unwilling to reach within himself and rise above adversity. I don’t believe he’ll stay, I could be wrong, but if he does he’s got a lot more work ahead of him off the field if he’s going to truly be the game commander we’ve been waiting on and Billy’s got to see that he’s coached like never before, as if a head coaching gig may be on the line.

The bowl game may seem very anti-climatic right now, there’ll be sorely needed extra practice time and a chance for some growth and maturity. It might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but all of us, especially Billy, need to go out on a good note. Next season would be better started with a bang rather than a thud.

Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
View attachment 51559

As the smoke cleared after our final regular season game had concluded and a very necessary last beer of the evening consumed, I reflected on what could have been in Tallahassee last evening against the hated Seminoles. The condensed version was that we were clicking offensively in the first half. Our bread and butter, the running game, had returned after a one week hiatus, and AR looked on the verge of another huge game through the air despite a wafer-thin group of receivers that was severely depleted by injuries. Neither team was looking spectacular on defense, but a missed field goal by F$U and one made by our kicker allowed us to go back into the locker room with a 24-21 lead and some momentum along with the ball to begin the second half. We had reason to be encouraged. Or so I thought.

Then the third quarter started. The first sign that something was wrong was AR’s throw into the flats that was behind the receiver, who was standing alone with no defender within a country mile. The incompletion served notice that Mr. Hyde was now under center and ahead was a stretch where he would go 0/12 passing and collectively we went three and out on our first three possessions of the second half. Gone was the lead and any momentum generated in the first two quarters.

Still, we were almost able to come back in the fourth. Bolstered by the running of ET and Montrell, who each rushed for a touchdown, we had clawed back to within a score. A pass interference penalty gave us a fourth down conversion to start our final possession and we were able to work the ball down the field into scoring position. Unfortunately that would be as close as we’d get and our final play saw AR scrambling under heavy pressure from a DB blitz and making a final throw, under pressure, to nobody.

Defensively, we played well at times. In fact, tackle to tackle we looked about as good as we had at any point in the season. Off tackle and containing Jordan Travis, however, was another matter. We couldn’t consistently set and hold the edge nor could we keep the Noles’ shifty QB hemmed up (Travis threw for 270 and a score and rushed for 83 and two more TDs). The result was another “close, but no cigar” outcome and a disappointing 6-6 final regular season record in Billy Napier’s inaugural Gator football season.
  • The conversation for this game, and really the season, has to begin with Anthony Richardson. As mentioned, what started out looking like an all world performance wound up in the ditch in the third quarter. Despite a great effort in the fourth, it was too little, too late. You can’t beat many teams playing only three quarters of a football game and superstar QBs don’t usually have 0/12 stretches or go 9/27 overall. His three TD passes were fantastic, but as has been the theme of the season, too much Mr. Hyde, not enough Dr. Jekyll.
  • In a night of not quite enough stars, ET and Montrell shined. Each had 17 carries and a TD, ET gaining 129 and Montrell 85. A shout out to the OL is in order as they paved the way for our backs’ success. Even though he only had one fairly long run, AR had 10 rushes for 41 yds and was more involved in the ground game than the week previous. He gets a little shout as well.
  • Despite several good sequences, the defense was unable to keep Travis contained and he made us pay to the tune of one TD passing and two rushing. Their back (Benson) rushed for 111 and three scores on 20 touches. The effort of the D was far above what we saw at Vanderbilt last week, but factoring in mistakes it wasn’t enough to keep us above water after an offensively neutered third quarter.
  • Ultimately Billy bears the responsibility for this game and the team’s performance. There were certainly some things that could have been executed better, but comparatively speaking, I thought his overall plan gave us an opportunity to win. I won’t say it was perfect and I still think he needs an OC, but play scripting, to the naked eye, was better in my opinion. We still have some miscues defensively that are glaring and occur at inopportune moments and our 10 penalties were a factor. But my biggest complaint is the consistency and production of the QB and in retrospect a position coach other than him (and maybe a psychiatrist) should have been employed. If he’s going to really get things turned around, I believe this will be his first big change.
  • For all you whipper snappers out there, essentially guaranteeing a win with your words and not coming through isn’t the sign of a winner. A big mouth don’t make a big man.
  • I’m expecting quite a bit of portal action for us, in both directions. Don’t think it will necessarily be a bad thing. If the recruiting trajectory remains as expected, the changes will be good for us overall. All Billy’s got to do is win. Realistically I’d think beat the guys you’re supposed to and split with those you’re not, but we’ll see.
I know a lot probably think I’m too critical of AR. I am very critical, but there’s good reason. First and foremost, he’s the QB of the Gators and there’s a mountain of responsibility that comes with that designation. You can’t lead or win consistently if your play runs the gamut from spectacular one minute to dog shti the next, whether it’s from game to game or within a game itself. He has all the tools to be great, but appears to lack the soul and mental fortitude to be much more than a .500 QB and a coach-killer to boot. I don’t think that he is a bad kid, unintelligent or dark-hearted, but I do believe that he is too frequently uninterested and unwilling to reach within himself and rise above adversity. I don’t believe he’ll stay, I could be wrong, but if he does he’s got a lot more work ahead of him off the field if he’s going to truly be the game commander we’ve been waiting on and Billy’s got to see that he’s coached like never before, as if a head coaching gig may be on the line.

The bowl game may seem very anti-climatic right now, there’ll be sorely needed extra practice time and a chance for some growth and maturity. It might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, all of us, especially Billy, need to go out on a good note. Next season would be better started with a bang rather than a thud.

Go Gators!

:chomp:
Excellent insight as usual! It appears that AR is exceptionally talented but is simply not an alpha personality. Which you really need your quarterback to be to become an elite successful team.

The other observation on the defensive side of the ball would be related to talent. I try to identify the players who would be all SEC or all American and just don't see that level of Talent on the field. Hopefully that will change soon.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By the time he went down with the broken leg, I was over Franks. I feel the same about Richardson. I wish him well ... somewhere else.

It's time to turn the reins over to Kitna.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I would say you are trying not to be critical of AR. No need to apologize. His shortcomings are not hidden, they are there for all to see. I think he relishes the role of not being a leader meaning that he becomes more assertive when the chips are down and he then is more willing to put his legs into action. Leaders do everything possible to prevent the bricks from falling once they start, rather than picking them all up and trying to restore them. If that occurs you are viewed as a hero and if not you made a valiant effort in trying. But the real effort occurs in not allowing that stage to be reached. That is Sling Blade's and AR's downfalls.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Napier’s going to take the brunt because he’s the head. But this is his first year. If he was relying on Mullen’s players we would have won 3 or 4 games.

Let that sink in.

Where would we be at without: Torrence, ETN, Montrell, and Pearsall?

He had no transfers on defense. And his big defensive player he expected to bring in the class (Harold Perkins) would have fixed some major issues for us at LB. Shemar James will be a good one though.

This DL class we have coming in is TOP 3 in the nation. And if he closes anywhere close to what he’s aiming, it will be the TOP defensive class in the nation.

I thought this was a bit of a coming out party for Odom.

We need about 20 kids to transfer out. Where are we right now? Around 5 or 6? About a quarter of the way there!

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We scored 35. Conversation needs to start with DC and his defense.

Let’s not ignore all the drops and lack of separation from WRs too. Whole passing offense was terrible.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would say you are trying not to be critical of AR. No need to apologize. His shortcomings are not hidden, they are there for all to see.
As there may be ladies reading (some real, some assumed), I won’t write what I have heard or said in the heat of battle :mad: You’ll have to trust me on that and read a little between the lines. Getting outside of the pen and talking too loud on the internet is something I try to avoid.
But the real effort occurs in not allowing that stage to be reached. That is Sling Blade's and AR's downfalls.
Truth

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@cover2, can you comment on this regarding lack of talent, health, numbers, etc. at the WR and TE positions? I think I counted 23 pass receptions for the entire year by our "RB's" Now I do not know how many of those were check downs out of backfield or how many were slip screens with the RB lined up wide. Be that as it may, would not logic say that we lack weapons wide, let's incorporate our RB's to help a little? And it was apparent against the CLOWNS as they ran an option route to their RB out of the backfield right over the middle for a 5 yard throw that netted 40 or so yards. Then later they had Miller chasing their RB out of the backfield down the middle of the field for a TD had the pass not be overthrown? How can no one see that these are basic plays that everyone has or should have on the play sheet, but we did not see that type of play once all season from Karl???

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Napier’s going to take the brunt because he’s the head. But this is his first year. If he was relying on Mullen’s players we would have won 3 or 4 games.

Let that sink in.

He had no transfers on defense. And his big defensive player he expected to bring in the class (Harold Perkins) would have fixed some major issues for us at LB. Shemar James will be a good one though.

This DL class we have coming in is TOP 3 in the nation. And if he closes anywhere close to what he’s aiming, it will be the TOP defensive class in the nation.

We need about 20 kids to transfer out. Where are we right now? Around 5 or 6? About a quarter of the way there!

We so seldom look to the tight end over the middle or anywhere for that matter. It makes zero sense.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Another outstanding summary, Cover. It's easy to see that AR lacks that focus that comes from a burning desire to win. You can see it in his eyes, he starts over thinking--and doubt sets in. A little adversity, and the demons take over. Then lethargically he stands, shoulders slumped, dull eyes, waiting for the call from the (at times synergistically lethargic) sidelines. Without urgency, he goes through motions to run the next play. Good QBs by nature have that immediacy of purpose, and kind of go out of mind processing many inputs in a few seconds--the product of repetition and desire. AR doesn't have that. Will he ever get it?

BassinGator

Nov 17, 2015
I wonder if the school writes a script about Richardson and hands to all the press and TV announcers? Three networks with their top announcers down to the scrubs that called the game last night and every one heaps the same out of this world praise on this kid... I just don't see it... Good athlete yes but Out of this world qb???? C'mon man.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We lost this game with abysmal defense and horrific play-calling in the 3rd offensively. In other words, we got outcoached by Norvell. Let that sink in.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Let that sink in.

I tracked this stat earlier in the year, but it’s even more glaring now.

17 of the 29 rushing TDs were from Napier’s guys. 8 of the 18 passing TDs were from his guys. So collectively, 25 of the 47 total touchdowns were from players that weren’t here last year and are only here because of the new coach. I would guess yardage totals are even more lopsided, and one of the pick-6’s was from his player. Imagine if those guys weren’t here. I’m not excusing BN for his missteps, but that’s a great illustration of what Mullen left behind.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2, can you comment on this regarding lack of talent, health, numbers, etc. at the WR and TE positions? I think I counted 23 pass receptions for the entire year by our "RB's" Now I do not know how many of those were check downs out of backfield or how many were slip screens with the RB lined up wide. Be that as it may, would not logic say that we lack weapons wide, let's incorporate our RB's to help a little? And it was apparent against the CLOWNS as they ran an option route to their RB out of the backfield right over the middle for a 5 yard throw that netted 40 or so yards. Then later they had Miller chasing their RB out of the backfield down the middle of the field for a TD had the pass not be overthrown? How can no one see that these are basic plays that everyone has or should have on the play sheet, but we did not see that type of play once all season from Karl???
I think absolutely there is an overall lack of playmakers at the receiver positions. Their injuries made it look that much more stark last evening. To your point, lack of talent/speed/elusiveness makes our wide passing threats not much threat at all. As far as the backs involvement in the passing game, they seem particularly relegated to pass pro. I’d prefer to see them, as you mention, matched up with a LB up the hash, slipped into the flats, or in a screen. Spurrier used the backs in a circle route after a bump in pass pro. Definite lack of use in that regard and should be a point of emphasis moving forward.

Last edited:

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
I know a lot probably think I’m too critical of AR. I am very critical, but there’s good reason.
At the beginning of the season there were some vague whispers of Heisman contention for AR. Those evaporated quickly. During the game, when the camera was on him, there just seemed to be an air of disinterest or intensity. The same can be said for Billy. In either case, as a leader, sometimes you have got to show that you are in charge to inspire those following you.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At the beginning of the season there were some vague whispers of Heisman contention for AR. Those evaporated quickly. During the game, when the camera was on him, there just seemed to be an air of disinterest or intensity. The same can be said for Billy. In either case, as a leader, sometimes you have got to show that you are in charge to inspire those following you.
I think Billy has his moments, just not enough of them. If he’ll give up OC/QB duties, he might have more time to focus on intensity.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
AR is a conundrum. It does appear he is sometimes just going through the motions or is otherwise distracted.

The wide receivers could have given him more help and I agree with fire about the lack of throws to the RBs and TEs. Etienne could be a real weapon coming out of the backfield. Johnson dropped as many as he caught, though some of them were poorly thrown balls by AR.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We so seldom look to the tight end over the middle or anywhere for that matter. It makes zero sense.
Because our TEs are terrible. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from Odom.

Zanders is AWFUL

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Like others here I gritted my teeth with every nole possession knowing we would need luck to keep them from scoring each time, and was correct. Our inability to tackle anybody, but especially Travis was more agony. Travis escaping a sure-fire sack from 3 Gators, then scoring while making Keystone Cops out of us was ridiculous. But the game was lost in the 3rd qtr when AR mentally went into his familiar funk, again, checking out when the game was on the line in a scoring duel. Bad QB play, bad D that cannot stop old ladies in wheelchairs, Billy has got a ton of work to do and needs help to do it. Must get a proven Div 1 OC and QB coach immediately. Toney needs an overall review - is he screwed with bad personnel, or is he just another Granthem? Season is over and the D cannot tackle or cover; problems that need deep understanding to fix and move forward as a better team.

Last night was a solid effort by the whole team but showed that we're way behind the really good teams in talent, fundamentals, basically everything. Just good enough to lose critical games and ultimately coaches if it continues. Losing to the hated azznoles SUCKS, but..... we're all in this together....GO GATORS

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2 Why can’t we contain on D? It’s the one thing we teach our youth team. Why do we dive inside and abandon the edge? Are they not practicing that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator