Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Alabama

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When has Mullen ever taken responsibility and not thrown his players under the bus publicly? Hell, whenever a QB has a bad play, Mullen makes sure everyone sees him chewing him out so they know it was the players fault and not his.

I can't help but wonder if that hurts recruiting.
I think Dan’s ego is such that he has trouble with taking responsibility for screw ups. Sorry, but as the HBC, it all stops with you. Period. Now I will say that he does have some flashes of brilliance. Unfortunately, they are quickly forgotten because of F-ups like LSU last year, etc. As far as chewing the kids out on the sidelines, absolutely no problem with that; making excuses, pointing fingers, and whining like a bytch, problem.
SOS chewed plenty of his QBs a new one on a frequent basis, so that’s not a big deal to me. The difference is that SOS would say, “we gotta coach em up better” to the media instead of, “the players screwed up.”
Here’s that pesky responsibility thing. To me, SOS was the ultimate in having an ego that is needed to inspire your troops and chill the enemy’s shti. I think one of the reasons his players loved him was because he was a straight shooter with them and gave them the glory in public and chewed that @ss in private. In football, the sideline used to be considered private, but not so much anymore.
What hurts recruiting is his staff sucks at recruiting.
They are awful in this area. Maybe that’s too strong, so I’ll change it to “they underperform.” The Biden cabinet would approve of that wording. UF does not recruit itself anymore. It takes more effort than it appears to have been expended each year for the last 7-8.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't think that reading and decision making can be speeded up very much for EJ at this point. If he switches to receiver, he can have a NFL career.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd really like your serious take on the second half. I know it's hard for you, but let's have a real football discussion here. Most of us admire your knowledge of football but your personality can be so off-putting most of the time we just wish you would die in a fire.
3rd QTR Nice work by OL, Davis Pierce and, yes, EJ. He is feeling pressure better and he is a run first QB. As strange as it is for me to say that's, bc you know I want the passes flying around everywhere, a run team is just what we have to be. EJ throws better on the run, too. Our skillset right now is run, run, run and we are pretty unimpressive at TE and WR. Just run.

I really like what Pierce has become. He is a load in short yardage. Davis has the hands we knew he did and seems to have the burst he has lacked since his freshman year and that injury. Sometimes it takes a while post injury. Nayquon flashed too.

I didnt watch closely, the way I used to do. Not really sure what Trailerbammer did defensively in the second half. They have a 4-3 look although I think one's a Jack/Buck DE/LB and the other is a safety backer hybrid. It should be enough numbers but they are small for an Alabama team. Good for us.

Honestly I'd like to see us with more of seven in the box rather than six, and playing a star who was better vs the run.

Those few throws to the tight ends seem to have softened them up a little.

There's no way around it we just don't play well on the first quarter. We haven't under Mullenz usually, especially in games vs decent teams. In many ways it's the exact opposite of Sharky, who would have a few good scripted plays at first and then be terrible the rest of the game.

We undoubtedly are better after halftime most games. This does mean good coaching responses in the lockerroom, I must admit.

I just wish we were prepared at the start of the game and didn't keep falling so far behind vs Bammer and Ugly. I don't really know what causes that, what part of preparation we're not getting right. Or is it just motivation, I don't know. maybe we stick by the game plan no matter what and prefer to not make changes until halftime? It is hard to know.

Defense. DL in general showed up. It was no longer just effortless movement for their offense. Again I didnt watch slowly and see what each position was doing like I used to. I didnt take a lot of notes on defense. in general safety play is not completely garbage like it was the last 2 years. I like what I see out of 22, 16, 27 and even how 24 has developed since his poor start.

Moon covers a LOT of ground. He is a liability inside but his ability to cover the flat is huge. We have been missing that.

They were moving the ball but it's still not just too damn easy like it was in first QTR. Everything worked for them innthe 1st Qtr and was effortless.

Our edge defense on goal line is crap. I dont know why our jumbo package has a safety playing LB instead of you know a LB especially since we have a dozen little fast LBs. We looked bad versus USF I think on their last play and we look no different today. It was 4th down on Alabama's first scoring drive in the third quarter. To me that is just lack of preparation like that could have changed the final score. It's not happenstance that they ran the exact same formation that USF did.

Weston, the Mullen special, it hard to believe we can't find someone to catch kickoff without letting the ball get into his pads.

The 99 yard drive seem to take a couple years off Saban. he looked gray.

The 2 pt play...... wouldnt it have been nice to have a big fullback style QB battering that in? If only we had one. And a power RB, like you know, Pierce.

Watching that 2 pt play again, from the other angles they showed at the end of the game. Im not sure that EJ didnt try to pull it and Davis wasnt having it.

Also, if you just want to have some fun, pause all the plays Big Dez is on the field and watch Alabama try to slow him down. He wasnt having it. The think he was doing this to high school kids a few months ago.

Finally, Butters can DIAF.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Great summation @cover2 . Like you, and pretty much all the other chatterers, I do not believe in moral victories; at the end of the day an “L” is an “L.” I do believe there are some silver linings however and you touched on most of them. The difference between the first quarter and the rest of the game was remarkable and I can’t help but wonder why. Did Bama think it was over at 21-3 and let up, or did the good guys reach down and find their intestinal fortitude? I have no idea, but you cannot deny that the Gators showed grit and never gave up. They may have felt over matched before the game, but I guarantee they didn’t feel that way afterwards.

Another positive for me was possible effect yesterday had on the recruits who were there. Hopefully they saw a never say die team that hung with the best team/program in the country and saw a stadium with an incredible atmosphere. None of that will be enough to get them to sign with us, but it had to be more positive than if Bama had blown us out and most of the fans had left at halftime.

It will be interesting to see what we look like going forward. The Gators showed me yesterday that we could win every game going forward on our schedule. I also know enough about CDM’s history to know we could lose another 3-4 games. Mrs. G and I will be in the Swamp next Saturday night and I expect to see us to crush the Vols. On the other hand, if we play to their level and have a close game or a loss, well, that’ll tell us something too. At the moment I am cautiously, very cautiously in fact, optimistic. Another part of my optimism comes from the fact that so far this season, I just don’t see a team anywhere in college football that looks unbeatable.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Good job Cover.
I think this team is still finding out which players are going to step up. It was good to see Whittmore make some plays (where was Copeland?) Lack of tight end play in the first two game was probably by design to catch Bamma off guard.
Special teams hurt, of course the missed PAT but the kick off returner that muffed the kick in the end zone could not have know the rules or he would have been on the ball pronto. Kick coverage was not very good.
All in all mistakes than can be corrected , get AR back and healthy and you like our chances moving forward.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Dan’s getting roasted pretty good from the fans on social media and some of the press over that PAT call. It hasn’t helped that he’s offered up excuses of somebody going the wrong way, lining up incorrectly, etc., etc. That call was too pivotal for anything less than your best effort and idea.
Amazingly, he called a fn timeout last year to run a 2 point play that we didn’t need in the SEC CG, but didn’t bother taking one to run one that we HAD TO FKIN HAVE!!!
It’s maddening to watch his decision making.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Watching that 2 pt play again, from the other angles they showed at the end of the game. Im not sure that EJ didnt try to pull it and Davis wasnt having it.
EJ did that schit 3 times yesterday. Just let the back take the damn ball man.

Had he let go normally, Davis likely punches it in

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
EJ did that schit 3 times yesterday. Just let the back take the damn ball man.

Had he let go normally, Davis likely punches it in
yeah once you're at the mesh point usually the decision must be made. the running back has to hang on to the ball because he doesn't necessarily know that's even the quarterback's hand in there. it could be a defender getting in trying to rip the ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@Swamp Donkey :

“Don’t you ever die!”

I can only die in a fire.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
3rd QTR Nice work by OL, Davis Pierce and, yes, EJ. He is feeling pressure better and he is a run first QB. As strange as it is for me to say that's, bc you know I want the passes flying around everywhere, a run team is just what we have to be. EJ throws better on the run, too. Our skillset right now is run, run, run and we are pretty unimpressive at TE and WR. Just run.

I really like what Pierce has become. He is a load in short yardage. Davis has the hands we knew he did and seems to have the burst he has lacked since his freshman year and that injury. Sometimes it takes a while post injury. Nayquon flashed too.

I didnt watch closely, the way I used to do. Not really sure what Trailerbammer did defensively in the second half. They have a 4-3 look although I think one's a Jack/Buck DE/LB and the other is a safety backer hybrid. It should be enough numbers but they are small for an Alabama team. Good for us.

Honestly I'd like to see us with more of seven in the box rather than six, and playing a star who was better vs the run.

Those few throws to the tight ends seem to have softened them up a little.

There's no way around it we just don't play well on the first quarter. We haven't under Mullenz usually, especially in games vs decent teams. In many ways it's the exact opposite of Sharky, who would have a few good scripted plays at first and then be terrible the rest of the game.

We undoubtedly are better after halftime most games. This does mean good coaching responses in the lockerroom, I must admit.

I just wish we were prepared at the start of the game and didn't keep falling so far behind vs Bammer and Ugly. I don't really know what causes that, what part of preparation we're not getting right. Or is it just motivation, I don't know. maybe we stick by the game plan no matter what and prefer to not make changes until halftime? It is hard to know.

Defense. DL in general showed up. It was no longer just effortless movement for their offense. Again I didnt watch slowly and see what each position was doing like I used to. I didnt take a lot of notes on defense. in general safety play is not completely garbage like it was the last 2 years. I like what I see out of 22, 16, 27 and even how 24 has developed since his poor start.

Moon covers a LOT of ground. He is a liability inside but his ability to cover the flat is huge. We have been missing that.

They were moving the ball but it's still not just too damn easy like it was in first QTR. Everything worked for them innthe 1st Qtr and was effortless.

Our edge defense on goal line is crap. I dont know why our jumbo package has a safety playing LB instead of you know a LB especially since we have a dozen little fast LBs. We looked bad versus USF I think on their last play and we look no different today. It was 4th down on Alabama's first scoring drive in the third quarter. To me that is just lack of preparation like that could have changed the final score. It's not happenstance that they ran the exact same formation that USF did.

Weston, the Mullen special, it hard to believe we can't find someone to catch kickoff without letting the ball get into his pads.

The 99 yard drive seem to take a couple years off Saban. he looked gray.

The 2 pt play...... wouldnt it have been nice to have a big fullback style QB battering that in? If only we had one. And a power RB, like you know, Pierce.

Also, if you just want to have some fun, pause all the plays Big Dez is on the field and watch Alabama try to slow him down. He wasnt having it. The think he was doing this to high school kids a few months ago.

Finally, Butters can DIAF.
It’s amazing how good a post you can make when you feel like it. I understand why you’ve lost some enthusiasm over the last 10+ years, but this was excellent, especially as much of it was off the top of your head. I for one, hope to see more of this kind of stuff. Naturally, I will still expect the curmudgeon the rest of the time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The O-line had a few miscues, but overall it was a really good day for them. Same with the RBs. They all played well and were a big reason why we had success moving the ball.
I think what we consider miscues might have actually been bad option reads by the QB. There were 2 where EJ handed off and only had the DE to beat if he kept.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
It was good to see the intermediate passing game and tight ends utilized. Our defense seemed credible once we quit blitzing almost every play. The question I have is can EJ improve his reading of the defense quicker and get the ball off that nanosecond faster so he doesn't telegraph his throws as the season progresses or are we just stuck with what we have?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was good to see the intermediate passing game and tight ends utilized. Our defense seemed credible once we quit blitzing almost every play. The question I have is can EJ improve his reading of the defense quicker and get the ball off that nanosecond faster so he doesn't telegraph his throws as the season progresses or are we just stuck with what we have?
Maybe confidence will help.

He has been here for three years but remember Dan just let him run like one or two series of option/keepers. It's not like he has actual game experience passing the ball.

You will see him patting the ball, it is actually him releasing the off hand GETTING READY TO THROW then changing his mind. Most of the time that first pat of the ball is when he should have thrown the ball.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It's not that I think Ole piss is great. I just think bama's overrated. The can't throw the ball down field at all. This is probably the least explosive they've been at wr and rb since Satan's been there. Even their oline is pretty average. If they get matched up with a team that puts up alot of points I'm not sure they can keep up.
Maybe but they have only played 3 games including yesterday...Most teams that have recruited well but have lost key starters will make the most progress in games 4-8....the meat of the schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator