Bits & Pieces: Florida vs Georgia

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
8 on the other hand is atrocious.
Terrible...one of the worst CB's in CFB at least that I've watched this year. There is also no excuse he should still be on the field(at least as much as he is).....were 8 games into the season and the coaches should have seen enough by now. Sometimes sitting a player for a game or 2 will light a fire in his ass....I'd at least try it with BOTH of these CB's...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
UGA has a freshmen LB who is 6'1" #235.....when is the last time we had a senior LB who was #235? Anzalone, maybe(and I'm not talking about a DE/LB....A TRUE LB)

My point is usually with maturity comes size and strength at positions like OL and LB....We have neither right now. I don't see much to be excited about on the Oline.....we need a minimum of 2-3 transfer portal guys here by next year and I don't want to hear it can't be done....Michigan has the best Oline in CFB and 3 of their starters came via the portal.

LB is looking more optimistic with the incoming class as far size goes but there is a LOT to learn about being a LB in CFB let alone the SEC....better get these guys in the weightroom from day one. It is also imperative we get a transfer CB in next year along with the incoming freshmen and create some serious competition at this position.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
As Cocktail Parties go, this Saturday left little good to mull over. 43-20 that wasn’t really that close is tasting more like Early Times and Chek Cola than the top-shelf we were all once accustomed to as another loss burns from the throat all the way down to the pit. What adds to the burn was the wee bit of hope generated by a late eclipse of a 10-point deficit on the road in Columbia two weeks prior that never really amounted to anything after an opening drive TD that looked like this year might be different after all. Turns out it was ‘Fool’s Gold,’ but then most knew that UGA wasn’t #1 for nothing and the Columbia Comeback was comparatively speaking more of an outlier than a trend.

What I didn’t expect was for one pivotal play to completely change the trajectory of the game. I was taught and believed that certain plays have impactful influences on games, but the ultimate outcome is truthfully based on the totality of plays made (or not) on both sides of the ball, including special teams. And Lord knows there were enough that were negatively impactful in all phases to go around. BUT, the failed 4th and inches, the way it was called, shifting from gun to under center, then snapping between Mertz’ legs to Etienne 7 yds deep with the intent to throw a one receiver flat route that was ultimately blown to smithereens by an unblocked defender and ended with Etienne scrambling to be tackled well short of the LOS. It reeked of “I know we desperately need to convert to try and gain momentum to score and keep it close, but I’m not confident that we can just line up and wedge it for 6 inches, so I’m going to pull some low percentage trick play out of my @ss instead!” Conversely, we’d have been better off calling timeout and then punting, barring another shank or block. Point being is that from that point until later in the game, maybe, when the outcome was cast, our countenance fell and it was apparent that the belief that victory was achievable fell beyond belief by the team who’s task it was to achieve.

This falls squarely on Billy’s shoulders. It also, I believe, belies the shaky ground the team is really on despite the good ideas and work Billy is constructing with regard to fixing the toxic culture that he inherited. It’s true that young people, to include college football players, really want and need expectations, rules, and boundaries in their lives to keep them focused and growing in a positive direction. In competitive situations, they also need consistency and success to work hand in hand. There has been some of both, but not in a pattern that suggests ultimate growth and a winning streak or streaks. Thus, especially when youth is being so heavily counted on, doubt can appear and today it was debilitating. And that door, I’m convinced, was opened with that one ill-advised call. And we never recovered.

@Detroitgator commented in the game chat that he hoped that Billy “was thinking about an OC!” My reply was that “he f’n better be doing more than thinking,” and if not, despite any programmatic good, recruiting gains, it will be time sooner than later for him to move on. I’m not sold by any stretch that his offensive philosophy as it stands will be significantly better with an influx of talent that doesn’t include a massive improvement in OL talent, but more importantly, even greater improvement in talent, coaching technique, and EFFORT on the defensive side of the ball, specifically in the secondary and LB groups. Even if we had LSU’s offense today, UGA would have still outscored us. I was initially impressed with Armstrong’s enthusiasm, especially compared to Big Head Todd’s lack there of, but in ensuing games there’s been multiple instances of personnel screw ups (too many players/not enough, not getting calls in, etc.) to go along with no pass rush, LBs getting sealed, cut off after taking poor pursuit angles more akin to HS athletes than coached up collegians, and secondary players who are consistently out of position and/or quit on the play and watch receivers run wild for scores or long gains. And the latter has shown sporadic to no improvement now 8 games into the season. Armstrong is the DC, so I’m looking to him and then ultimately to Billy. We damn sure don’t have a high octane offense, so we’ve got to be much more solid on the defensive side to stay close the rest of the way, much less have a chance to win, even with Arky I’m afraid.

The Special Teams were pretty much an abomination, so it can be framed as the culmination of failures in all three phases of the game. Painful to say, especially against a bitter rival who we recently had the momentum against. @stephenPE made a good point that Kirby came in and made it job one to get the BEST players and he’s done that. It took him a few years, but he’s got them and in his system that features a strong, physical, fundamentally and schematically sound defense, good special teams, and an offense that operates behind arguably the best OL in CFB that runs and throws with equal authority. And we are not yet close and today has cast doubts on whether Billy, as he currently stands, can close that gap. I read an article earlier this week (ESPN) that referenced Stricklin speaking on hiring Billy, after much deliberation as not a “1 or 2 year solution, but a 10 or 15 year solution!” I believe the gist of that was based on anticipated programmatic cultural overhaul, that was in dire need, ultimately leading to success in Ws and Ls and onto division, conference, and national championships. After today, it’s hard to see that far after the offensive failures from mid first quarter until late game when, again, the die was already cast. The inability to slow UGA down, much less stop them consistently only added to the depression.

So where does that leave us? Short term, it leaves us to rebound and salvage something, maybe keep the recruiting class intact, starting with the Razorbacks next week. From there, see if Billy can find a way for us to at least show up in the remaining three. FSU at the end will be very telling. A bitter rival who’s having a banner year (despite what you may think of their schedule) has got to be a game you find a way to do more than just show up. So we’ll see. I think Billy had better take that deep look inward he’s obviously avoided about his expectations of himself and his coaches, both offensively and defensively and including special teams. He’s got to convince the fan base, but moreover his own players that they can do more successfully and consistently than has been accomplished so far, but it won’t be accomplished doing the same things over again. I have already gone long so the first and only change I’ll mention is do something to help the OL in pass pro, like max with two backs, and get creative with your three receivers. When we are protecting with five, it is usually just three as the OTs, especially the Alabama transfer, were absolutely destroyed today. That would be a start. Beyond that, there are multitudes of changes to consider all over the field. But Billy’s got to accept that need first before we can reasonably expect positive changes to occur. I find myself hoping he’ll get better held to account in his Monday presser for starters.

I really wish I had a little sunshine to pump, but it‘s hard to see any after this dismantling and getting kicked down the basement stairs. I do know there’s better days ahead, I’m just not sure when! In the short term, I’m pulling for us to get W #6 this coming Saturday. Next step. Worry about down the road when it gets here, Billy could tell us more, hopefully some good things, in the weeks to come. We’ll see.

Go Gators!
:chomp:

P/S - I’m scheduled for some surgery this coming Friday and doubtful that I will be able to put up an article next Saturday. Forecast is at least a 4 day stay if not longer. Hopefully I can watch at least. Heck, I kinda need a break and I’m sure you all could use one, too :lol:
Great write-up, Cover. Praying for a great outcome to your surgery.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
As Cocktail Parties go, this Saturday left little good to mull over. 43-20 that wasn’t really that close is tasting more like Early Times and Chek Cola than the top-shelf we were all once accustomed to as another loss burns from the throat all the way down to the pit. What adds to the burn was the wee bit of hope generated by a late eclipse of a 10-point deficit on the road in Columbia two weeks prior that never really amounted to anything after an opening drive TD that looked like this year might be different after all. Turns out it was ‘Fool’s Gold,’ but then most knew that UGA wasn’t #1 for nothing and the Columbia Comeback was comparatively speaking more of an outlier than a trend.

What I didn’t expect was for one pivotal play to completely change the trajectory of the game. I was taught and believed that certain plays have impactful influences on games, but the ultimate outcome is truthfully based on the totality of plays made (or not) on both sides of the ball, including special teams. And Lord knows there were enough that were negatively impactful in all phases to go around. BUT, the failed 4th and inches, the way it was called, shifting from gun to under center, then snapping between Mertz’ legs to Etienne 7 yds deep with the intent to throw a one receiver flat route that was ultimately blown to smithereens by an unblocked defender and ended with Etienne scrambling to be tackled well short of the LOS. It reeked of “I know we desperately need to convert to try and gain momentum to score and keep it close, but I’m not confident that we can just line up and wedge it for 6 inches, so I’m going to pull some low percentage trick play out of my @ss instead!” Conversely, we’d have been better off calling timeout and then punting, barring another shank or block. Point being is that from that point until later in the game, maybe, when the outcome was cast, our countenance fell and it was apparent that the belief that victory was achievable fell beyond belief by the team who’s task it was to achieve.

This falls squarely on Billy’s shoulders. It also, I believe, belies the shaky ground the team is really on despite the good ideas and work Billy is constructing with regard to fixing the toxic culture that he inherited. It’s true that young people, to include college football players, really want and need expectations, rules, and boundaries in their lives to keep them focused and growing in a positive direction. In competitive situations, they also need consistency and success to work hand in hand. There has been some of both, but not in a pattern that suggests ultimate growth and a winning streak or streaks. Thus, especially when youth is being so heavily counted on, doubt can appear and today it was debilitating. And that door, I’m convinced, was opened with that one ill-advised call. And we never recovered.

@Detroitgator commented in the game chat that he hoped that Billy “was thinking about an OC!” My reply was that “he f’n better be doing more than thinking,” and if not, despite any programmatic good, recruiting gains, it will be time sooner than later for him to move on. I’m not sold by any stretch that his offensive philosophy as it stands will be significantly better with an influx of talent that doesn’t include a massive improvement in OL talent, but more importantly, even greater improvement in talent, coaching technique, and EFFORT on the defensive side of the ball, specifically in the secondary and LB groups. Even if we had LSU’s offense today, UGA would have still outscored us. I was initially impressed with Armstrong’s enthusiasm, especially compared to Big Head Todd’s lack there of, but in ensuing games there’s been multiple instances of personnel screw ups (too many players/not enough, not getting calls in, etc.) to go along with no pass rush, LBs getting sealed, cut off after taking poor pursuit angles more akin to HS athletes than coached up collegians, and secondary players who are consistently out of position and/or quit on the play and watch receivers run wild for scores or long gains. And the latter has shown sporadic to no improvement now 8 games into the season. Armstrong is the DC, so I’m looking to him and then ultimately to Billy. We damn sure don’t have a high octane offense, so we’ve got to be much more solid on the defensive side to stay close the rest of the way, much less have a chance to win, even with Arky I’m afraid.

The Special Teams were pretty much an abomination, so it can be framed as the culmination of failures in all three phases of the game. Painful to say, especially against a bitter rival who we recently had the momentum against. @stephenPE made a good point that Kirby came in and made it job one to get the BEST players and he’s done that. It took him a few years, but he’s got them and in his system that features a strong, physical, fundamentally and schematically sound defense, good special teams, and an offense that operates behind arguably the best OL in CFB that runs and throws with equal authority. And we are not yet close and today has cast doubts on whether Billy, as he currently stands, can close that gap. I read an article earlier this week (ESPN) that referenced Stricklin speaking on hiring Billy, after much deliberation as not a “1 or 2 year solution, but a 10 or 15 year solution!” I believe the gist of that was based on anticipated programmatic cultural overhaul, that was in dire need, ultimately leading to success in Ws and Ls and onto division, conference, and national championships. After today, it’s hard to see that far after the offensive failures from mid first quarter until late game when, again, the die was already cast. The inability to slow UGA down, much less stop them consistently only added to the depression.

So where does that leave us? Short term, it leaves us to rebound and salvage something, maybe keep the recruiting class intact, starting with the Razorbacks next week. From there, see if Billy can find a way for us to at least show up in the remaining three. FSU at the end will be very telling. A bitter rival who’s having a banner year (despite what you may think of their schedule) has got to be a game you find a way to do more than just show up. So we’ll see. I think Billy had better take that deep look inward he’s obviously avoided about his expectations of himself and his coaches, both offensively and defensively and including special teams. He’s got to convince the fan base, but moreover his own players that they can do more successfully and consistently than has been accomplished so far, but it won’t be accomplished doing the same things over again. I have already gone long so the first and only change I’ll mention is do something to help the OL in pass pro, like max with two backs, and get creative with your three receivers. When we are protecting with five, it is usually just three as the OTs, especially the Alabama transfer, were absolutely destroyed today. That would be a start. Beyond that, there are multitudes of changes to consider all over the field. But Billy’s got to accept that need first before we can reasonably expect positive changes to occur. I find myself hoping he’ll get better held to account in his Monday presser for starters.

I really wish I had a little sunshine to pump, but it‘s hard to see any after this dismantling and getting kicked down the basement stairs. I do know there’s better days ahead, I’m just not sure when! In the short term, I’m pulling for us to get W #6 this coming Saturday. Next step. Worry about down the road when it gets here, Billy could tell us more, hopefully some good things, in the weeks to come. We’ll see.

Go Gators!
:chomp:

P/S - I’m scheduled for some surgery this coming Friday and doubtful that I will be able to put up an article next Saturday. Forecast is at least a 4 day stay if not longer. Hopefully I can watch at least. Heck, I kinda need a break and I’m sure you all could use one, too :lol:
Thanks for the honest insightful take and best to you with the upcoming surgery. Hopefully it’s something minor and you will be out in time to watch the next must win game in Napier’s so far inauspicious tenure.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Cover, with a great collection of Bits & Pieces over the years, this may be your best game summary so far.
All the best to you in your recovery from surgery.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, looking forward to seeing you not donate one single penny in all the years you've been here, as well as blocking ads. I would imagine you're a freeloader in all aspects of life.
You might want to cut him some slack. Have you seen the price of lumber? Those giant crosses ain’t cheap!
fire cross GIF by NETFLIX

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
To hell with Georgia, Cover. Focus on a successful surgery and recovery. See you back here next week.

skinnyquinton

Chatterbox Owner
Jul 24, 2014
All the best C2. I watched the game at Thunder Beach Rally PCB and there were more Gators than usual. So we drank through it. Now my thoughts are with ya. To hell with GA.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Cover, your write-ups remind me of reading Jack Hairston's column in the Sun in the 80's. I always came away from reading his work feeling smarter than before I read it.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I think that there were 4 trick plays, and one of them worked (barely, the flea flicker). Trick plays usually take some time to develop and our OL can't generate that time.

Marshall had two tipped balls at the line of scrimmage. That's great, but if he grabs either one it is a walk in TD.

Need to figure out how to cover a tight end. Georgia loses Bowers and then we made Mcconkey look like Travis Kelce.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
UGA has a freshmen LB who is 6'1" #235.....when is the last time we had a senior LB who was #235? Anzalone, maybe(and I'm not talking about a DE/LB....A TRUE LB)

My point is usually with maturity comes size and strength at positions like OL and LB....We have neither right now. I don't see much to be excited about on the Oline.....we need a minimum of 2-3 transfer portal guys here by next year and I don't want to hear it can't be done....Michigan has the best Oline in CFB and 3 of their starters came via the portal.

LB is looking more optimistic with the incoming class as far size goes but there is a LOT to learn about being a LB in CFB let alone the SEC....better get these guys in the weightroom from day one. It is also imperative we get a transfer CB in next year along with the incoming freshmen and create some serious competition at this position.
I agree completely. They can’t keep treating the OL like they have, no way we can win anything this way. They have to hold this class together and hopefully add a blue chip OL or two at the end, as well as kill it in the portal. I’m giving him this year no matter the result, but if he can’t make the right personnel moves and we look similar next year he is toast.

And is Raymond overrated as a DB coach? It makes no sense that we continue to struggle the way we do.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
but if he can’t make the right personnel moves and we look similar next year he is toast.

And is Raymond overrated as a DB coach? It makes no sense that we continue to struggle the way we do.
This is it in a nutshell. It doesn't do any good to bring in more 4-5 star talent at the skill positions when you've got less than a mediocre offensive line. It also takes 2 plus years typically for freshmen offensive linemen to develop in a system so the portal is not optional but rather mandatory as I see it. I suspect their coaching isn't doing the current guys much good either. If they're not developing what we have and not recruiting on par with the rest of the staff then there needs to be a change made there.

I almost think Raymond has convinced Kimber and Marshall they are 1st round draft material based on their measurables or something. They are playing like they're trying to not get injured or something....that's all I can think of there.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marshall is horrible. Play the next guy.

I can’t pick on Marshall as long as Jalen Kimber is on the field.
I can’t remember when I last saw such a combination of a lack of talent combined with an even more obvious lack of effort. The guy shows a disdain for contact not seen since Deion hung up his cleats without an ounce of the talent Sanders possessed. Let’s not forget the embarrassing lack of effort he showed in Lexington.

You know that the Georgia coaching staff had to be laughing their a$$es off watching their reject play so poorly. I think it’s time for the freshmen to start at corner. They might get beat, just like Kimber but at least they may improve in time.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think that there were 4 trick plays, and one of them worked (barely, the flea flicker). Trick plays usually take some time to develop and our OL can't generate that time.

Marshall had two tipped balls at the line of scrimmage. That's great, but if he grabs either one it is a walk in TD.

Need to figure out how to cover a tight end. Georgia loses Bowers and then we made Mcconkey look like Travis Kelce.

McConkey is a wide receiver just so you know.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Fundamental issue: OL and DL.

Shocker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.