Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Hurricane Matthew, et al.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Don't see how any locale can even consider hosting an 80,000-plus sports event (a sports weekend)
in the midst of a "state hurricane evacuation" - a killer hurricane.??

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Don't see how any locale can even consider hosting an 80,000-plus sports event (a sports weekend)
in the midst of a "state hurricane evacuation" - a killer hurricane.??

They did in another state when the track showed it hugging the coast the same as in FL.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
80,000? When the track was to up through the state at the time?
What Fever is failing to understand is that they attempted to make the decision as late as absolutely possible, and still be able to hold it from a logistical standpoint. That's what they did, and at that very moment, the track of the storm was expected to ravage central florida through north florida, and I don't mean just the coast, as either a very strong Cat 4, or potentially a Cat 5 (the pressure was dropping which means it was possible to strengthen). At the time they made this decision, there would be no reason to reschedule it for Sunday, or even Monday, as at that moment, much of Florida, inland Florida, was about to be turned into a 3rd world country.
We got lucky and it wobbled north and avoided that track. I'm certainly thankful of that it didn't take the track it was expected to when the decision was made, I might very well be homeless right now if it did, and I don't fault the decision making on this game either.
One last thing, these pussy ass LSU fans and their butt fcking idiot AD, are starting to make me regret the assistance (monetary) I gave at a time when their state was ravaged by a major hurricane. I will never, ever, help them again.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is what's in my head at this point - where do we go from here? I don't see the team shaken in their confidence of the coaches (yet), so I think we have a chance to pull out a decent season. Our remaining games are winnable, I'm not willing to mark any as a sure L just yet, but they are nearly all losable as well. Does our secondary pack it in and start counting days to declare for the draft (and in the process hurt their potential?), or do they man up and honor the words they uttered prior to being kicked in the groin? Does our DL heal up enough to be a factor, or do they and the LBs continue to get nicked up and give up more and more each subsequent weak? Not controllable, but a variable that will remain out there. For our offense, does the team gel around del Rio's return and begin producing as we've expected them to do, or does the OL continue to create limited running lanes and short clocks for the passing game? I feel we have enough to make the plays with RBs and WRs and TEs (with some blocking support), but do we have a whole offense (meaning a functional OL)?

Stepping above the player's psyche and if they can come together as a complete team when lacking apparent leadership, if we look at the coaches - what are we looking at? Can the coaches build confidence going forward, give the players something to believe in that will work, that they can build upon each week? Can the coaches overcome the weak points with scheme, show adaptation to not only personnel conditions but also play calling in games?

Personally, I'm getting worried about the JRs and SRs starting to check out again like we had for the bowl game. I know - we only have one loss and there is still a lot to play for, but I don't know how much that's in the player's minds vs just getting thru this season and let next year's team sort it out. I'm scared on the player level that we don't have enough leaders, and the few that are looked at as leaders will set the wrong example by checking out. I'm more worried, however, about the coaching. We can see some good offensive scripting, but I have yet to seen the ability to react and adjust. On defense, we've had some talented players making plays but I still don't believe I've seen good planning or much adjustment capability by our staff. More than that, the folks on this board have me concerned that I've watched essentially the same staff in place for 18+ months with little to no improvement. I've always been one that says new coaches need time to get their players, to instill their vision, and I don't think Mac and staff have had enough time to get there .... but they've had enough time to show improvement on the field and I'm simply not feeling it's on par with my expectations at this point in the program.

Best case, we pull it together, win enough of the remaining games to make recruiting and building come along. Best case next year is 9-10 wins and the following year we actually hit our stride. I'm not thinking we'll see best case.

Worst case, this team implodes for the balance of the season and the staff simply stands back and says "shucks". Worst case, Mac gets another year after being around .500, and he chooses not to make any changes to staff, and we see the same or worse next year - this can set the program another 5 yrs from being acceptable at best, assuming the new AD pulls the trigger after an atrocious 2017 performance. I'm not thinking we'll see worst case, but what I've seen so far leans more to worst case than best case.

TLDR - I'm worried about the players for the balance of the season, I'm worried about the coaching for this and next season. I feel more worried than optimistic (forget about confident) when it comes to 'what comes next?'
There are a lot of things to agree with in this post, TLB. "Our remaining games are winnable, I'm not willing to mark any as a sure L just yet, but they are nearly all losable as well" is something I've also thought about at this juncture. I wouldn't bet either way right now. Also, this set of scenarios have gone through my head in similar shape and form..."Worst case, this team implodes for the balance of the season and the staff simply stands back and says "shucks". Worst case, Mac gets another year after being around .500, and he chooses not to make any changes to staff, and we see the same or worse next year - this can set the program another 5 yrs from being acceptable at best, assuming the new AD pulls the trigger after an atrocious 2017 performance. I'm not thinking we'll see worst case, but what I've seen so far leans more to worst case than best case." Whether it is who Mac really is (and this is where I am) or some shtick he's employing, it doesn't fill me with confidence in regard to turning the boat this year and, very importantly, getting the recruiting class we need so that we rise as we move on into year three of this administration.

HC's can be laid back with the press and in other non-competition public appearances, but they have to either have an aggressive side or some AC's that are the floor walkers to keep troops in order. Despite the flare ups with Kelvin Taylor and the North Texas coaches, I'm not seeing a lot of piss and vinegar from Mac and the teams frequent lulls during games leads me to believe that he doesn't possess much of it. Maybe I've missed some things and certainly I don't see what goes on behind the scenes, but something is missing. Biggest thing, in line with what TLB says, is that the remainder of this season, whether it is salvaged, turned around, etc., along with the next class of recruits, will determine if Mac is the guy to get us back where we have been and want to be once more OR whether we are looking for the next guy with a five-year plan. I'm hopeful, but not bubbling over with confidence at this point.

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, there's something in the flavor of this Mac team energy, even in the ole bad days... our Gators played with an all out effort mojo. Millennial self absorption today is on every team and there are still Championship Teams today, so scratch that weak excuse. The personality of the coach should inspire the plan. These are kids not self sufficient employees nor is Florida the new Boys Club counseling center. We've seen the personality/swagger of Championship Coaches at Florida before. I'm not seeing the ballyhooed Tide pedigree stuff or some recruiting machinery evolving when watching Mac. Lotta season left and I do like being Sport happy in the off season, so I'm wishing and hoping success. But, we need to start seeing 4 quarters of a real pulse and a bit more Coach Gladiator I think. Go Gators!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Listening to the radio today, this game was still being talked about as the primary topic. Some points that came out was that LSU is rumored to have gone to the SEC prior to UF in an effort to get the game moved to BR. Once Foley found out, he wasn't happy or willing to negotiate at all concerning the weekend. I think he made the right decision for a variety of reasons, but it's sounding like LSU pissed him off from the get go too.

Bowlcut said that the SEC would not be moving the Championship game. So there goes that idea for now. I really thought the 12/3 would work best. Steve Russell did mention that the GA HS championships were scheduled for the 10th at the GA Dome.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
But, we need to start seeing 4 quarters of a real pulse and a bit more Coach Gladiator I think.

I like your mindset and phrasing. "Coach Gladiator" is absolutely needed.

Bowlcut said that the SEC would not be moving the Championship game. So there goes that idea for now.

Correction, wouldn't his reporting it make it a guaranteed move of the SECCG? Remember your source.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like your mindset and phrasing. "Coach Gladiator" is absolutely needed.

Correction, wouldn't his reporting it make it a guaranteed move of the SECCG? Remember your source.
He's a pretty good reporter....prognosticator, not so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.