Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Hurricane Matthew, et al.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LSU already has 2 losses, they're not bama. Would we lose the game... maybe, but I think if we finally wake up and play football for 4 qtrs and our coaches decide to actually coach on gameday we have a chance to beat LSU at home.

You have more faith than me right now. I think they would run the ball right down our throats easily. Auburn has a stout defense when it comes to stopping that and that led to one of their losses. They also are opening things up with different looks now that Miles is gone.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
LSU already has 2 losses, they're not bama. Would we lose the game... maybe, but I think if we finally wake up and play football for 4 qtrs and our coaches decide to actually coach on gameday we have a chance to beat LSU at home.

I think we have a chance to. But do we have the heart?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not to be a downer, but I'm pretty sure we would have gotten murdered by LSU on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, home or away, hurricane or no hurricane. It's just reality at the moment.
You know damn well people would be SCREAMING about why did we move the game? Why did we give up home revenue? The usual crap about the coaching staff, as well as some crap about "pumpers are using the hurricane as an excuse." I've been on these boards more than long enough to know how that postgame board activity would have been.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The SEC made the final decision. UF did not. The ignorant inbred Cajuns need to brush up on their average 3rd grade educations and realize it.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly don't know why you keep saying pre-disaster. It makes no sense. The parallel is that a week before the event they had concerns about the game so they made a contingency plan. On Wednesday they realized they'd have to execute the contingency plan. There is no difference.

Another parallel is that a few games were simply postponed one day. Those are being played tomorrow. We could have done the same thing and still cancelled if the weather didn't cooperate. This is a total failure. Hell I'm still pissed about the Idaho game.
The storm data was totally different when those games were rescheduled.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
My thoughts on the postponement...

The UF perspective:
  • Having lived in the G'ville area most of my life, hurricanes don't hit us. They may brush up and kiss the coast like Floyd, but they don't make landfall, and neither did Matthew. No one had any reason to believe it would hit us, and it didn't. But it was reasonable to wait and see if it would veer east and leave the Florida coast unscathed. So that's why you don't cancel a home game when the hurricane has yet to hit Haiti.
  • By the time we thought that the weather would affect the game, there were too many other considerations to make.
    • The infrastructure is stressed. Despite no real weather issues, it was not a certain thing as Matthew veered North and avoided landfall. Had he stayed on course, G'ville would be among the $1MM+ without power in Florida. Add to that, there was very little gas to be found in G'ville and hotels were already filled with those heading in from the coast, which also put stress on restaurants and grocery stores.
    • Safety personnel. The potential was certainly there that law enforcement would be stretched thin as well as other first responders.
  • The players were not in a frame of mind to play. I heard that over half the roster came from East coast communities. This does not include those who may have extended family on the coast. So a vast majority had their minds on loved ones on the coast.
  • Lets be honest. We needed optimal conditions for this game. We did not want to make a last minute road trip (potentially without security). We also did not want a half full stadium on an off day like Sunday. This is our only big home game this season, so why do we want to give it up? Makes no sense. November 19th is just fine. It can and should be played then.
The LSU perspective:
  • Who want's to play in a fully loaded Swamp? Even with an injured QB and several other injuries, anything can happen when the Swamp is on fire.
  • By offering to host or delay the game by a day, they take the Swamp out of play. They also get to play us at potentially our most vulnerable time personnel wise.
  • Nov 19th works for LSU. They have South Alabama, they can make it work, but they don't want to. It's hypocrisy for them to cry about the schedule, but act like a hurricane bearing down on players' loved ones is not a big deal. F them.
The SEC needs to mandate the game be played in the Swamp on Nov 19th. The SEC has insurance to pay for buyouts and both teams losing a home game. What could be an even better option is to play the Presbyterian game after the SEC Championship game. That gives the team more practice time and a game where younger guys can play.

I cannot reiterate enough.....F the corndog eating mofo's

I had to leave in 2004, sw of Gainesville, and we had trees down going out to where I lived and no power for a week afterward. I was told it was pretty bad. When I came back, one of the NE neighborhoods in Gainesville had been hit by a tornado and half the houses in a 6 by 5 block area had trees through the roof.. It was a disaster for those people for at least a month. There must have been a lot of trees down around town as it took tree services a long time to get to that neighborhood. I would hardly say that Gainesville is not in the paths. I think we have been in a lot of paths.. Not the eye, but paths. In 2004, it seems like the prediction was for the eye to pass close to or through Gainesivlle. I don't know how close it did pass, but do you really want to ignore that possibility?

The potential for the storm to be disasterous was still strong at 1pm and after on Thursday., certainly nough to do damage and require personnel to be places other than games. Gainesville is not that far from Hawthorne which was told to expect hurricane winds. The local forecast at noon on Thursday was that Alachua and Marion Counties could see hurricane gusts. We were also told we could even see sustained winds of 73 MPH at one point on Thursday. Given that information and the NHC measurements and advisory, I think the decision made sense.

What if there were significant power outages? Gas was in short supply on Thursday. Pump handles were covered. Playing one or 2 days later would not necessarily be adequate recovery time. Plus how selfish would it be to have enforcement that might need to be sent to coast at a game..

Also, even if I were to buy the argument that Gainesville never gets hit, we get evavucees, have gas shortages. Even more importantly, I personally think it is insane and immoral to gamble with people's lives given the most carefully watched storm can turn abruptly in an unanticipated direction and intensify suddenly.

Yes, I know they usually produce warning, but less so the last few years. I have seen this happen in other areas quite a bit the last 3 or 4 years.

We thought it was fairly quiet back here on Friday, and about 500 feet away, a tree size limb was ripped off and blown a distance. I just don't see how it is ethical to gamble with people's safety when tornadoes were also on the table as a very real possibility in the Gainesville area. People were advised to stay off the roads because of evacuations, we didn't need to invite them in. for a game.
At the time the decision was made, the there was a strong storm and lots of potential for adverse scenarios.

I just don't think it makes sense to schedule for Sunday when you don't know what the area would be like. And how about all the players that had family near the coast? Don't you think they were and would still be distracted? I've lived here a very long time, and on the coast before that. I have a healthy respect for these storms.

Moved back here from 2 hard years in Miami area about a week, maybe less before Andrew. My husband had a UHall rented to bring the rest of our stuff. The day he was to leave, Andrew hit. That was a pretty sudden change of events. Suddenly he was boarding up windows for his family and neighbors, and spent the hurricane guarding his buisness. The eye was to come in right where our stuff was in our apartment, in mainland North Miami Beach, and the business was about 5 miles north of there. Luckily for us, the course altered right before it hit and it unfortunately for Homestead, devastated that region.

I t is an illusion though to think that a wind speed and path are written in stone and can't suddenly change. Lousiana knows this all too well. I have seen hurricanes alter their path abruptly on radar in ways I would have thought impossible. There was also one hurricane in which the plane measurements proved to not reflect the actual state of the storm shortly after the measurement was recorded. I don't think they ever knew what happened with that.

Being inland is not foolproof protection. There is plenty that can happen.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is no excuse for not having a Sunday option imo. The track had it staying offshore most likely meaning it would be nothing like the 04 Hurricanes and winds would probably be in the sustained 80 -85 mph range only for most of the coast despite the talking heads overblowing things as usual for ratings. They could have easily made an updated decision Saturday to cancel a Sunday game if warranted. The SEC is going to follow a college's lead in something like this.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There is no excuse for not having a Sunday option imo. The track had it staying offshore most likely meaning it would be nothing like the 04 Hurricanes and winds would probably be in the sustained 80 -85 mph range only for most of the coast despite the talking heads overblowing things as usual for ratings. They could have easily made an updated decision Saturday to cancel a Sunday game if warranted. The SEC is going to follow a college's lead in something like this.
The track had it making landfall on the Space Coast. If you watched any of the coverage Thursday night/Friday morning, everyone was pretty surprised it stayed off the shore the way it did.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The track had it making landfall on the Space Coast. If you watched any of the coverage Thursday night/Friday morning, everyone was pretty surprised it stayed off the shore the way it did.
Not only that, but had dropping pressure and the potential to hit land as a cat 5, luckily it didn't

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I had to leave in 2004, sw of Gainesville, and we had trees down going out to where I lived and no power for a week afterward. I was told it was pretty bad. When I came back, one of the NE neighborhoods in Gainesville had been hit by a tornado and half the houses in a 6 by 5 block area had trees through the roof.. It was a disaster for those people for at least a month. There must have been a lot of trees down around town as it took tree services a long time to get to that neighborhood. I would hardly say that Gainesville is not in the paths. I think we have been in a lot of paths.. Not the eye, but paths. In 2004, it seems like the prediction was for the eye to pass close to or through Gainesivlle. I don't know how close it did pass, but do you really want to ignore that possibility?

The potential for the storm to be disasterous was still strong at 1pm and after on Thursday., certainly nough to do damage and require personnel to be places other than games. Gainesville is not that far from Hawthorne which was told to expect hurricane winds. The local forecast at noon on Thursday was that Alachua and Marion Counties could see hurricane gusts. We were also told we could even see sustained winds of 73 MPH at one point on Thursday. Given that information and the NHC measurements and advisory, I think the decision made sense.

What if there were significant power outages? Gas was in short supply on Thursday. Pump handles were covered. Playing one or 2 days later would not necessarily be adequate recovery time. Plus how selfish would it be to have enforcement that might need to be sent to coast at a game..

Also, even if I were to buy the argument that Gainesville never gets hit, we get evavucees, have gas shortages. Even more importantly, I personally think it is insane and immoral to gamble with people's lives given the most carefully watched storm can turn abruptly in an unanticipated direction and intensify suddenly.

Yes, I know they usually produce warning, but less so the last few years. I have seen this happen in other areas quite a bit the last 3 or 4 years.

We thought it was fairly quiet back here on Friday, and about 500 feet away, a tree size limb was ripped off and blown a distance. I just don't see how it is ethical to gamble with people's safety when tornadoes were also on the table as a very real possibility in the Gainesville area. People were advised to stay off the roads because of evacuations, we didn't need to invite them in. for a game.
At the time the decision was made, the there was a strong storm and lots of potential for adverse scenarios.

I just don't think it makes sense to schedule for Sunday when you don't know what the area would be like. And how about all the players that had family near the coast? Don't you think they were and would still be distracted? I've lived here a very long time, and on the coast before that. I have a healthy respect for these storms.

Moved back here from 2 hard years in Miami area about a week, maybe less before Andrew. My husband had a UHall rented to bring the rest of our stuff. The day he was to leave, Andrew hit. That was a pretty sudden change of events. Suddenly he was boarding up windows for his family and neighbors, and spent the hurricane guarding his buisness. The eye was to come in right where our stuff was in our apartment, in mainland North Miami Beach, and the business was about 5 miles north of there. Luckily for us, the course altered right before it hit and it unfortunately for Homestead, devastated that region.

I t is an illusion though to think that a wind speed and path are written in stone and can't suddenly change. Lousiana knows this all too well. I have seen hurricanes alter their path abruptly on radar in ways I would have thought impossible. There was also one hurricane in which the plane measurements proved to not reflect the actual state of the storm shortly after the measurement was recorded. I don't think they ever knew what happened with that.

Being inland is not foolproof protection. There is plenty that can happen.

Can't say that you comprehended what I said.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It would have done any good for recruits to come in here and watch ua get blown out. We dodged a bullet in that regard.
You're just all sprinkles, sunshine and rainbows

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have family in surrounding directions of Gainesville, some lost power Thursday night/Friday Morning and didn't get it back until 6pm on Sunday. My brother who is stationed in Camp Blanding was going house to house with the emergency personnel all weekend, getting people out of their flooded houses along the East coast. Check out the Florida National Guard Facebook to see a few of the pictures. The logistics and the emergency personnel needed for a game of this magnitude wouldn't have been available on Sunday. They wouldn't have been. This isn't WhatsAMatter U, this was LSU. To give the game to Baton Rouge would have been a failure on the UF AD, you don't allow a game of this magnitude to be played at their home 3 years in a row. The SEC dropped the ball when it comes to a neutral site location, that would be their job.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
If LSU would have played Sunday we have no excuse at all. Just cancel Sat if the storm is worse than thought. Foley is just hoping it isnt made up and Mac ends up with 4 losses instead of 5 while he is departing.

There is no excuse for not having a Sunday option imo. .

You need to drop the Sunday argument. Even if the players could play (pretty obvious they could), the Gainesville region couldn't handle it with all the other resources being sucked up by evacuees (hotels, restaurants, emergency personnel, etc.). Yes, a game may have been played, but it didn't make sense for us to host it this weekend with everything else that was going on. The only legitimate complaint I could see lodged is the SEC not planning a neutral site to get this up and done. Heck, I'd even argue doing it in BR and flipping next year's game to G'ville to even it out, but that type of thinking is above my pay grade.

The SEC dropped the ball when it comes to a neutral site location, that would be their job.

Agreed. For all the buzz about offers from the LSU AD to play in BR or to play Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon, I give little to no credence. I'm sure those offers were made but he'd be just as unlikely to take them if the roles were reversed. That we waiting until the last minute to cancel...ahem, 'postpone indefinitely' (cancel)... the game is part true by the unpredictable nature of storms, but mostly poor planning by all those involved. I'm all for rescheduling to the 19th and moving the cupcake games, but I won't hear LSU whining about 3 road games in a row (as moving to BR would have done to us). But bottom line, a neutral site should have been planned for as plan B and it wasn't.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I don't know why exactly that I'm compelled to post this, but I'm not setting Mac adrift just yet. My confidence, however, has eroded some after the F$U game and the bowl from last season (Bama was disappointing but no shocker) and some of the issues this season we have discussed. I think he has to know he's under the gun to whatever degree at this point, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts and handles the poor coaching aspects that to me have been glaring, especially the lack of player motivation and a consistently erratic offensive plan and execution IMO.

How will the season end? One of two ways probably. If we keep doing what we've been doing, we'll keep getting what we've been getting. Or, change some things.

This is what's in my head at this point - where do we go from here? I don't see the team shaken in their confidence of the coaches (yet), so I think we have a chance to pull out a decent season. Our remaining games are winnable, I'm not willing to mark any as a sure L just yet, but they are nearly all losable as well. Does our secondary pack it in and start counting days to declare for the draft (and in the process hurt their potential?), or do they man up and honor the words they uttered prior to being kicked in the groin? Does our DL heal up enough to be a factor, or do they and the LBs continue to get nicked up and give up more and more each subsequent weak? Not controllable, but a variable that will remain out there. For our offense, does the team gel around del Rio's return and begin producing as we've expected them to do, or does the OL continue to create limited running lanes and short clocks for the passing game? I feel we have enough to make the plays with RBs and WRs and TEs (with some blocking support), but do we have a whole offense (meaning a functional OL)?

Stepping above the player's psyche and if they can come together as a complete team when lacking apparent leadership, if we look at the coaches - what are we looking at? Can the coaches build confidence going forward, give the players something to believe in that will work, that they can build upon each week? Can the coaches overcome the weak points with scheme, show adaptation to not only personnel conditions but also play calling in games?

Personally, I'm getting worried about the JRs and SRs starting to check out again like we had for the bowl game. I know - we only have one loss and there is still a lot to play for, but I don't know how much that's in the player's minds vs just getting thru this season and let next year's team sort it out. I'm scared on the player level that we don't have enough leaders, and the few that are looked at as leaders will set the wrong example by checking out. I'm more worried, however, about the coaching. We can see some good offensive scripting, but I have yet to seen the ability to react and adjust. On defense, we've had some talented players making plays but I still don't believe I've seen good planning or much adjustment capability by our staff. More than that, the folks on this board have me concerned that I've watched essentially the same staff in place for 18+ months with little to no improvement. I've always been one that says new coaches need time to get their players, to instill their vision, and I don't think Mac and staff have had enough time to get there .... but they've had enough time to show improvement on the field and I'm simply not feeling it's on par with my expectations at this point in the program.

Best case, we pull it together, win enough of the remaining games to make recruiting and building come along. Best case next year is 9-10 wins and the following year we actually hit our stride. I'm not thinking we'll see best case.

Worst case, this team implodes for the balance of the season and the staff simply stands back and says "shucks". Worst case, Mac gets another year after being around .500, and he chooses not to make any changes to staff, and we see the same or worse next year - this can set the program another 5 yrs from being acceptable at best, assuming the new AD pulls the trigger after an atrocious 2017 performance. I'm not thinking we'll see worst case, but what I've seen so far leans more to worst case than best case.

TLDR - I'm worried about the players for the balance of the season, I'm worried about the coaching for this and next season. I feel more worried than optimistic (forget about confident) when it comes to 'what comes next?'

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TLDR - I'm worried about the players for the balance of the season, I'm worried about the coaching for this and next season. I feel more worried than optimistic (forget about confident) when it comes to 'what comes next?'

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I find it interesting that everybody blames Foley on this. The SEC commish made the final call. Is Foley that powerful that he can over ride Sankey?

Bottom line is I think they rushed the decision to cancel the game. They should have canceled Saturday and told LSU to be ready to fly in Friday or Saturday for a game on Sunday depending on what the storm did. I really don't know why they didn't do that and just wait to see what happened Thursday and the impact of the storm before making the final decision.

Regarding C2's write-up. He hit the nail on the head. We are not playing with the energy or motivation that we need to and this is absolutely one of the biggest issues that McElwain has to figure out. The other obvious issue is the recruiting. If we can't get difference maker type players in here then we will never be back to what we were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.