Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Hurricane Matthew, et al.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I just hope you guys get this settled and decide when we will play. The AD is waiting on your decision.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All they seem to know for sure is that they would have handled it bettterer.
Good lord it's like nobody has ever heard of a contingency plan. Say a hurricane is coming toward your house. It's a week out. It might miss you. Then again, it might get pretty bad so you get batteries and candles and water and canned food etc in case you need to shelter in place. Or you might have to evacuate so you fill up the car, gather important documents, call inland family and pack a suitcase. Then you wait to see what happens. Whichever way the storm goes you are prepared. And we act like this is an impossible task for a premier learning institution despite plenty of examples of other universities doing these exact things. Allrightythen.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Um, no gas and no hotel rooms (filled by people evacuated from coast) so unless you are going to have a tv only game with no fans.......they made the correct call as one jog to the west and new ballgame.

C2, thank you as always. QB and impact players have been missing for a while. How good would TT have been without Percy? If Percy twitched you had to honor it as it could be a home run. Definitely a lot of talk with little walk particularly among some who need to hit the strength and conditioning wagon

Recruiting, recruiting....

Coaching, motivation, I don't know what to think or what they are.

Looking for the sunrise as the hurricane passes the Gator Nation

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Um, no gas and no hotel rooms (filled by people evacuated from coast) so unless you are going to have a tv only game with no fans.......they made the correct call as one jog to the west and new ballgame.

C2, thank you as always. QB and impact players have been missing for a while. How good would TT have been without Percy? If Percy twitched you had to honor it as it could be a home run. Definitely a lot of talk with little walk particularly among some who need to hit the strength and conditioning wagon

Recruiting, recruiting....

Coaching, motivation, I don't know what to think or what they are.

Looking for the sunrise as the hurricane passes the Gator Nation
Thanks Wood. Percy certainly helped Tim (and all the Gators for that matter; he was truly a special talent, if high maintenance), but Tim was no slouch as some football historians might suggest. We haven't had anybody close to his talent level (unless you count DeBose :)), but the answer to that is have enough offensive weapons at a high talent and speed level (and a QB that can get it in their hands, OL to protect him). We've been pretty lacking for a while in those areas, particularly from a numbers and overall talent level IMO.

One more remark about the storm, we were heading down to Crawfordville this afternoon and passed under I-10 on Hwy 90 at Midway (few miles west of Tallahassee) and the traffic eastbound was bumper to bumper at about 5 mph. Wonder if that would have impacted any of the logistics for a Sunday game at the Swamp ? :dunno:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks Wood. Percy certainly helped Tim (and all the Gators for that matter; he was truly a special talent, if high maintenance), but Tim was no slouch as some football historians might suggest. We haven't had anybody close to his talent level (unless you count DeBose :)), but the answer to that is have enough offensive weapons at a high talent and speed level (and a QB that can get it in their hands, OL to protect him). We've been pretty lacking for a while in those areas, particularly from a numbers and overall talent level IMO.

One more remark about the storm, we were heading down to Crawfordville this afternoon and passed under I-10 on Hwy 90 at Midway (few miles west of Tallahassee) and the traffic eastbound was bumper to bumper at about 5 mph. Wonder if that would have impacted any of the logistics for a Sunday game at the Swamp ? :dunno:

You're employing common sense, facts and basic logistics. It likely will go unanswered.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're employing common sense, facts and basic logistics. It likely will go unanswered.
Lol, are you baiting me? Because traffic maps show all major highways flowing green and travel sites show plenty of hotel rooms still available.

Here is some video I shot of Gatorchatter members realizing that we unnecessarily canceled one of the biggest games of the year.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, are you baiting me? Because traffic maps show all major highways flowing green and travel sites show plenty of hotel rooms still available.
Don't know what to tell you Zam, other than what I saw was what I saw. Usually even if traffic is that congested on10 at that location, they aren't going to Tallahassee for the FAMU game and likely not all heading back to Madison or Live Oak. Don't know what to tell you about the flowing green, but wasn't that way this afternoon. Maybe a wreck?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not doubting that there was a traffic jam cover. I'm just sparring with sofla.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Here is some video I shot of Gatorchatter members realizing that we unnecessarily canceled one of the biggest games of the year.

So you reply to this post, not the one where I point out your complete contradiction?

Ftr, you know it's nothing personal. You're one of the best posters on this board. You just happen to be inexplicably aligned with Rex and Fever on this one.

Btw, two people I know drove from Gville to StAugustine today. Took them over 4 hours.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I still don't see a contradiction. BTW I don't think Rex and I have ever agreed on anything. His logic stream seems to end at calling everyone an idiot or a pu$$y or both.

Also, there is no game today so I have to entertain myself somehow.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I still don't see a contradiction. BTW I don't think Rex and I have ever agreed on anything. His logic stream seems to end at calling everyone an idiot or a pu$$y or both.

You said on Wednesday that regardless of direct hit, Gville and it's resources would be needed and this rightly spent elsewhere. You even said The airport would be shut down for the arriving team. Today you're saying we should've had a back up plan, specifically involving a Sunday game. How do you now claim Saturday is out of the question, but see Sunday as a viable option given what you knew at the time? Even as light as the hit was inland, it makes no sense. We had to either decide to go to BR, before the storm hit, which no one has ever done...or just cancel and try to work out details. It's really that simple.

Even Danielson, who you mentioned earlier griping the SEC Comm., backtracked later on saying "they had to cancel a game in that situation", likely after someone probably got in his ear about how his comments could be perceived. Tony "the uga grad" Barnhart thought that the criticism was undue. It's crazy that some her are so hard on our own admin, even in crisis situations like this.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know why exactly that I'm compelled to post this, but I'm not setting Mac adrift just yet. My confidence, however, has eroded some after the F$U game and the bowl from last season (Bama was disappointing but no shocker) and some of the issues this season we have discussed. I think he has to know he's under the gun to whatever degree at this point, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts and handles the poor coaching aspects that to me have been glaring, especially the lack of player motivation and a consistently erratic offensive plan and execution IMO.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I live in the G'ville area. Hotels were filled and gas was sold out prior to us feeling the effects. Lake City was booked too. Heck even Tally and Tampa were fielding evacuees. There were several logistical hurdles for the game.

Also, several people who b!tch about recruiting will be happy to know that this is our only big recruiting game this year. Arguments could be made for USCe because of Muschamp, but this was the game. Players were already cancelling before the game was cancelled. But, I know you guys well enough, you'd keep b!tching about recruiting even though you are advocating for us to give up our biggest recruiting weekend.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I live in the G'ville area. Hotels were filled and gas was sold out prior to us feeling the effects. Lake City was booked too. Heck even Tally and Tampa were fielding evacuees. There were several logistical hurdles for the game.

Also, several people who b!tch about recruiting will be happy to know that this is our only big recruiting game this year. Arguments could be made for USCe because of Muschamp, but this was the game. Players were already cancelling before the game was cancelled. But, I know you guys well enough, you'd keep b!tching about recruiting even though you are advocating for us to give up our biggest recruiting weekend.
It would have done any good for recruits to come in here and watch ua get blown out. We dodged a bullet in that regard.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I almost wish we played at LSU today and got murdered just to see what people here would be saying.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You said on Wednesday that regardless of direct hit, Gville and it's resources would be needed and this rightly spent elsewhere. You even said The airport would be shut down for the arriving team. Today you're saying we should've had a back up plan, specifically involving a Sunday game. How do you now claim Saturday is out of the question, but see Sunday as a viable option given what you knew at the time? Even as light as the hit was inland, it makes no sense. We had to either decide to go to BR, before the storm hit, which no one has ever done...or just cancel and try to work out details. It's really that simple.

Even Danielson, who you mentioned earlier griping the SEC Comm., backtracked later on saying "they had to cancel a game in that situation", likely after someone probably got in his ear about how his comments could be perceived. Tony "the uga grad" Barnhart thought that the criticism was undue. It's crazy that some her are so hard on our own admin, even in crisis situations like this.
I just think that logistically if you're going to play a game on Saturday you can't have a hurricane on Friday. The day before the game is when everybody shows up, the stadium is prepped, etc. It was pretty clear by Wednesday night that Friday was going to be on lockdown. Therefore it was clear on Wednesday night that the game wasn't going to be played in the swamp on Saturday. That doesn't mean that it couldn't be played Sunday or that it couldn't be moved. Both scenarios would require contingency planning, which has certainly been done before. No, you can't just snap your fingers on Thursday and fix all this with no contingency plan. Lots of other games up and down the coast had the exact same or worse obstacles and they are ALL being played. I don't know how we can look at it any other way. Anyway the horse is long past dead and approaching sausage state.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I almost wish we played at LSU today and got murdered just to see what people here would be saying.
Not to be a downer, but I'm pretty sure we would have gotten murdered by LSU on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, home or away, hurricane or no hurricane. It's just reality at the moment.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
LSU already has 2 losses, they're not bama. Would we lose the game... maybe, but I think if we finally wake up and play football for 4 qtrs and our coaches decide to actually coach on gameday we have a chance to beat LSU at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator