Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So, seriously, is it "Pee-rine" or "Puh-rine"? Also, "Anzalone-e" or Anzalone"?

Were those just two examples of CBS mispronouncing?
Anzalone is definitely Anzalon-ee, it's an Italian name so you pronounce all the vowels. Perine, I have no idea, but if Mick pronounces it Pee-Rine, I'll defer to him because he's a stickler on names.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Cronk - This 4 headed stable of backs seems to have shuffled him to the bottom of the rotation, at least as far as carries are concerned. I don't know if he's still knicked from camp, or what the deal is, but that's odd that he was considered the favorite to be the starter and now he's getting 4(ish) carries a game.

Fulwood - What can I say about this guy that hasn't been angrily typed on several other message boards, including this one? Guy has the frame to be an elite, go-to receiver. I don't know if he's a head case or what, but man....what a disappointment. Is it sad that I can only remember one significant catch the guy's ever made? The screen that he took to the house in the bowl game against ECU comes to mind.

Khari Clark - I see what Mac was referring to last week when he said Clark didn't really show up on the stat sheet, but played a monster of a game. He did the same thing this week, drawing double teams along with Brantley, which freed up the ends and linebackers to get tackles for loss and sacks.

Wilson/Tabor - It's hard to make comparisons to other great cornerback tandems that we've had, since we've had so many, but these two are just as good as Tabor/Hargreaves and Haden/Jenkins when it comes to duos. Lucky for us, we won't really see an elite receiving corps this season except for LSU and FSU. LSU is having qb troubles as always, so they're less scary. Obviously, if we win the East, we'll likely see Bama in Atlanta, and they have some great receivers.

All in all this blowout win was just what the doctor ordered.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He can't earn a medical redshirt with a hammy. He has played so he isn't eligible for a regular redshirt and they must have doctor's certify the inability to play for x% of the season. That hammy will be healed in two weeks tops.

If this was the only game he has played in, he can get a regular redshirt... don't remember if he was on the field for UMASS.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good game plan and execution. Agree with others on Anzalone. It's been awhile since we've had a more complete backer, and we've certainly
had some good ones over the years. I was furious with Sherit after getting the penalty, and noticed Zuniga in his place on the start of the 2nd half. If it was simply pointing at the scoreboard it was indeed a pretty weak call. Would like to Cece get some more snaps,as he is one of our better players. I bet GatorJ was bouncing around the living room screaming expletives of joy when Freddie hauled in the wide open TD. I have to hand it to Putu. If I saw that fat bastard # 71 take a cheap shot on Callaway well after the whistle I would've been tempted to do severe bodily harm to that fat boy. I can't recall if 71 for them got back in the game, but a guy like that has to be taken out.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1. We need to get Cover2 a DVR and make his postgame report a regular feature article.

2. Ox, have you considered trying to get a press pass from the University for the games? Maybe one of our esteemed posters would be interested in going to the games and writing about what they saw? I'm looking at you, Cover2.

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1. We need to get Cover2 a DVR and make his postgame report a regular feature article.

2. Ox, have you considered trying to get a press pass from the University for the games? Maybe one of our esteemed posters would be interested in going to the games and writing about what they saw? I'm looking at you, Cover2.

Alex.
Thanks Alex. I'm very flattered. Watching our Gators, analyzing what I see, reporting and discussing is a lot of fun for me.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After watching the replay, I think the play that KY almost scored in the 4th quarter where we had a breakdown in coverage doesn't fall on Gardner. Danielson, who usually makes the right analysis, blamed him. He was in the nickel and Washington was at safety behind him and it wasn't man coverage. They both moved up on the short route, but I believe the safety has the deeper route. Washington inexplicably comes in to same area Garnder was in.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Overall the team played great.

I'm not thrilled with the rush defense though. In the first half UK was averaging 4.2 yards per carry. Obviously they had to throw in the second half and the game got out of reach early, but we need to be able to stop the run to beat UT, LSU, UGA and FSU.

We have great LBs, but I want to see the DTs making some plays.

Luke improved through the game. I thought he started getting confident and as he got confident he made more throws. I wonder if he was just worried about getting an interception and once he got that out of the way he relaxed a little.

Obviously he still has room to improve, but he is showing the ability and if he continues to make the right read we will be in good shape.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This idea has been floated before. I don't know if I could handle their gales of laughter, before getting hung up on.

Your Twitter presence will give you credibility.

Damn, I almost made it through typing that without snorting. So close.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This idea has been floated before. I don't know if I could handle their gales of laughter, before getting hung up on.

I didn't realize the qualifications were so strict. Not gonna happen unless you affiliate with a newspaper.

From the website:

Newspapers: Preference will be given to those newspapers which cover all 12 games of the Gators or the opposing team. Newspapers which cover all home games receive the next priority. All newspapers must be dailies with a Sunday edition and circulation of 30,000 or more.

Weekly newspapers: No credentials will be provided to weekly newspapers.

Television: Preference will be given to those stations which cover the most games of the Gators or the opposing team. All stations must have regular nightly sports segments with a full-time sports director/talent.

Radio Stations: Credentials will be limited to the two originating team broadcast. One credential may be issued to a full-time on-air host of Gainesville area stations and the opposing team's hometown stations, if these stations have a sports director and regular daily sports shows. One credential may also be issued to a full-time on-air host of a twenty-four hour sports talk radio station that carries at least 25 percent local programming. These stations must cover the athletic program on a regular, year-round basis as determined by the Communications Directors of the respective institutions.

Photographers: Only staff photographers who represent national magazines and accredited daily newspapers with a Sunday edition and circulation of 30,000 or more will be considered for credentials. Photos are for editorial use by the credentialed organization only. Photos used for any other purpose must adhere to the outlined SEC policy and receive prior written permission from the University of Florida Communications office. Photos are prohibited from being taken in the press box without prior permission from the University of Florida Communications office. All photographers must be carrying professional cameras.

Magazines: Only national circulation sport-specific magazines which cover college football will be considered for credentials.

School Outlets: Credentials for school outlets are limited to each participating institution. A maximum of two press and two photo credentials will be considered for each of the institutions' designated school newspaper. A maximum of one reporter and two photo credentials will be considered for each school's educational TV channel. A maximum of one press credential will be considered for each of the institutions' official radio station. A maximum of one photo credential will be considered for a school yearbook. One parking pass per organization, if available, may be considered.

Internet Credential Policy: Other than the official website of each participating institution, the Southeastern Conference and contractual rights-fee paying media, a credential may be assigned to a website that is affiliated with a national media of another form (i.e., network, newspaper, etc.) that meets the above credential approval policy.

NFL Scouts and Team Representatives: One credential per NFL team will be approved for a scout or team administrator per event. Additional credentials may be approved space permitting. No credential for a NFL scout or team representative will be mailed. One parking pass per team, if available, may be issued to an NFL scout or team representative.

Bowl Scouts: A maximum of two credentials and one parking pass per bowl may be approved per event.

Alex.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The thing is, I've seen much better analysis and insight from many of the posters here than I've seen from many of the "professionals". It appears that being a sports writer really isn't that hard of a job.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Honestly, when KY doinked that FG attempt off the left post, that's when I felt we would win and win handily. For the rest of the game, I had the running question of 'what will the whiners have to complain about from this?'. And by the end, I didn't have much. Last week's btching about a dink-and-dunk passing attack, or weak OL performance against an underpowered team, all those things that had us wondering 'Can Mac do this? Will the players progress at all?' ... all those points of concern that had the house trolls griping, it felt like they were answered. Deep passes? Check! Running backs performing? Check! Defense shutting them down? Check!

I get that the grumbles today are 'well, it was KY and they suck'. Like del Rio said - you don't score 45 by just playing hard, you gotta be doing some things right. Those same naysayers that couldn't find any solace in a win over UMass are of course going to say anything done against KY is 'not good enough'. But for me, that was what I needed. Something to build the confidence of the fans and players alike. Something that gave you hope, which we haven't had since the middle of last season.

I'm satisfied with that win.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Overall the team played great.

I'm not thrilled with the rush defense though. In the first half UK was averaging 4.2 yards per carry. Obviously they had to throw in the second half and the game got out of reach early, but we need to be able to stop the run to beat UT, LSU, UGA and FSU.
From what I remember, KY was stacking the line on the right, but then running left, so whoever was playing WDE was overplaying (Sherit?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator