Bits & Pieces: Florida vs Kentucky

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Wonder if this guy has any eligibility. Would be an upgrade and would really bring a veteran presence that is apparently missing

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good write up cover!

You know Billy has put himself in a bind, if he’s worth retaining he will work his way out of it. All we can do is wait and see.
Thanks Mac and yes, Billy has put himself in a big bind. When you’ve somehow squeaked in as a “ranked team” and get demolished by three scores by a UK team that only passes for 69 out of their 398 total yds, you have been thoroughly dominated. Wouldn't surprise me if all our remaining road games were designated as ”homecomings.”

I don’t pay a lot of attention to the coaches in-game other than Billy, who reminds more of a stoic, Big 10 Tressel-like guy and Armstrong, who is trying to keep his guys pumped up, but other than the GA or whomever is in charge of handing off the baton after a big play (which my old ass hates btw), there’s just not a lot of emotion or maybe I’m missing it. Damn sure not enough from the players which is a basis for my initial team maturity emphasis in the OP. It looks and certainly feels like we need some of this to have emerged 6 weeks ago.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I read Cover's recap and not much else in this thread so forgive me if this is a repeat. There's been some discussion about the lack of Billy's fire on the sidelines. I happened to be watching the end of the first quarter of the Bamma game. Bamma was screwing up every which way but Sunday. At the end of the quarter Saban went bat **** crazy on the field in front of the crowd yelling at everyone. Bama got their act together after that trade. I thought Billy was a Saban disciple. Fire alone will not fix our problems. We have a myriad of issues. But a little fire sure wouldn't hurt.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks c2!

Working 7 days a week for a little while, only caught part of the 1st qtr and it wasn’t pretty. What you said makes sense, especially about a young team. I want to see them show improvement as the season progresses, but I never had huge expectations for the season. It’s gonna be painful for a while.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The defense lost this game. We got whipped at the line of scrimmage. Then poor tackling took over. I need to watch the replay to see

To put it into perspective: One KY player rushed for 280 yards against us. Hershel Walker had 219 against us in the 1982 44-0 beatdown. Frazier had 199 in 95 NC game beatdown 62-24..

The offense couldn't help because we got whipped at the line of scrimmage there too. Their DL had some really good run schemes. They also consistently affected our QB with outside pressure.

As cover2 said... we are a young team.

We are still, mathematically, within reach of the SECE. KY will lose at least 2 more. Unfortunately, we'll lose that many too.

We can still play spoiler with the Leghumpers and the girls school. If the team, collectively, gets pissed off, we can beat both those teams.

BN and his staff have work to do. So do the players.

6-6 with a win over the humpers and a top 5 recruiting class.

BN needs to appoint an assistant coach to ST duties. Today. Like every other team in the SEC. Don't wait for SC to hand us our a$$es and embarrass us.

After the season, BN needs to consider hiring an OC (and letting him run it) and replacing the two-headed OL coach scheme with a single coach who can also RECRUIT. BN needs to continue to sell the brand, develop the recruiting system, and develop the player experience. He can concentrate on team unity, toughness, accountability, etc. Let the OC and DC do their jobs with their assistants.

I like BN. I think he can be a very successful and long-term CEO at UF. But, sorry BN, you don't have what it takes to do that and also be hands-on during gameday. There are too many moving parts in today's game. They don't let Generals hang at the front lines for a reason.

I hope he succeeds. We (The program, players,fans) need him to succeed.

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
If TL, then DR no worries. @cover2 point about leadership got me to thinking, without alcohol:

As to Leadership--that quality on a team that that transforms skilled players merely executing their assignments--into inspired demons feeding off a mysterious energy that connects those fighting in the trenches to excel beyond what their individual abilities generally allow.
Read! React! No Man is an Island...6 hats on a ball carrier! Not one or two! Drive him back!

"The whole is greater than the mere sum of its parts."

What are the sources of leadership? Not everyone is equipped mentally for the role, and that's a good thing since too many leaders, or wannabes, create internal conflict and confusion in a team setting. Those handful of players who rise to it on the field may come by it genetically--"the natural born leader"--or may have learned it through overcoming adversity in his life, frequently aided by a strong leader in his home, church, school, youth sports, etc.--many times all of the above. At any rate, the man who finds himself willingly leading others on the field will have superior skills himself and have a "head in the game" that is beyond reproach. Naturally, it's the quarterback and linebacker who are the most likely to excel here. He must also have the respect and acceptance of the role by his teammates.

The other source of leadership should be found conspicuously on the sideline. Active, engaged, connecting to his subordinates, yanking a player aside to bark a few more orders in his ear hole before shoving him back out there (think SOS & Danny). Dressing down an assistant when necessary. Let 'em all know you're disgusted--toss that visor in anger. And let 'em know when you're proud and happy with a big haymaker fist pump--whatever your natural style appropriate to the occasion calls for. But show 'em you mean business! This is no sport for passivity or glumness. It is a fact that in any organization, the Team eventually assumes the personality of their superior--for good or ill.

Those two elements of leadership--on field and sideline energy feeding mutual synergies combine as a force multiplier to the greater effort.

There's another: Momentum. Big Mo.

All this modern talk in sports of "analytics", driven by "data points" can't come close to explaining Momentum--that cosmic force which connects a Packed House to the field and sideline feeding an even higher level of excellence. Stats may reflect it indirectly, but they will never explain it. (Other things being more or less equal, of course--The Akron Zips are not likely to consistently beat Alabama on the sudden acquisition of leadership or momentum) Corollary to Big Mo is the palpable, 'on their heels' dejection of your opponent. Heads down. Hands on hips. Gassed. Every man an island. No answers coming. Tunnel vision. This too feeds the "killer instinct" on the other side of the LOS. This is when a team gets rolled, and on the road it's difficult to get your momentum back once the other team has taken it from you. They've taken away your heart and your fight and you back up. With some individual exceptions (and those not being enough to turn the tide), these were our Gators yesterday.

On a young team with fine skilled players, where do we go now? Clearly something's missing, and our record on the road makes that starkly evident. Is it "needs more time for maturation and buy-in"? Is it "on [them] to fix it" and we need to be patient and wait for it to happen? Or is it something systemic not likely to be overcome without a major change?

I like Billy Napier. I hope he's looking outside and inside for answers--soul searching in the self-critical sense. I think--I hope--he is not the narcissist forever shifting blame away himself. Doesn't seem like that type. I truly hope he finds it. But I have never liked his sideline body language--when winning or losing.

Through All Kinds of Weather and all of that sort of thing, I never give up hope. Go Gators.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks Mac and yes, Billy has put himself in a big bind. When you’ve somehow squeaked in as a “ranked team” and get demolished by three scores by a UK team that only passes for 69 out of their 398 total yds, you have been thoroughly dominated. Wouldn't surprise me if all our remaining road games were designated as ”homecomings.”

I don’t pay a lot of attention to the coaches in-game other than Billy, who reminds more of a stoic, Big 10 Tressel-like guy and Armstrong, who is trying to keep his guys pumped up, but other than the GA or whomever is in charge of handing off the baton after a big play (which my old ass hates btw), there’s just not a lot of emotion or maybe I’m missing it. Damn sure not enough from the players which is a basis for my initial team maturity emphasis in the OP. It looks and certainly feels like we need some of this to have emerged 6 weeks ago.
Hey Cover,
Thanks as always for your take on yesterday's game. A lot of questions ,with at this point few answers. With all of our analysts, position coaches and coordinators we now have, how do we get torched again by Ray Davis? This the same guy that carried the ball 30 times for a net 122 yards against us last season with Vandy. Did anyone watch video on this guy and anticipate that he might have a big day again? I understand your assessment of our talent level and have been on the wrong side of similar ass kickings during my HS days. My complaint is with the coaches and their preparation. Stoops is an old school coach in many ways, and no one should have been surprised at his game plan with a RB like Davis. Especially since he had success last year with an inferior line at Vandy. In looks to me that our players and coaches bought into the hype of being the SECs top rated defense. Our DC in my view may have compounded the problem by not preparing for Davis. Worse maybe we did prepare, and still got our butts whipped. In which case we have more serious issues.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I knew we were in trouble after UK’s first three offensive plays that were very similar.
In all three plays Davis was to the second level without being touched. He was then met by Jalen Kimber doing a spot on impression of Deion Sanders as a run defender.
If you can stomach it, go back and watch those three plays and then explain to me why you would let him back on the field the rest of day. He could at least pretend to want to play.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Cover, I agree with lack of recognition by young players. Coaching starts at the head guy & can be an elusive lady when put in practice. Either we have a bunch of athletes with natural physical talent and real shortcomings in the mental department or coaching including the emotional component missing which showed it's ugly head again Saturday, or all of the above. The '79 team didn't win a game , but they also never quit. This team has no heart.
We stand a chance of beating an inferior Vandy team next Saturday, but that's about all...Billy Napier and his extensive staff are NOT SEC qualified, and it's gonna get a lot worse next year...we are screwed...this hole our administration has dug will take a decade to recover from if at all.
Sad & Disappointed.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Thanks c2!

Working 7 days a week for a little while, only caught part of the 1st qtr and it wasn’t pretty. What you said makes sense, especially about a young team. I want to see them show improvement as the season progresses, but I never had huge expectations for the season. It’s gonna be painful for a while.
CG, what is this “working 7 days a week” stuff? I thought you retired.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The fact that we even have this gay ass baton is grounds for the immediate firing of errrbody.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that we even have this gay ass baton is grounds for the immediate firing of errrbody.
season 6 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The defense lost this game. We got whipped at the line of scrimmage. Then poor tackling took over. I need to watch the replay to see

As cover2 said... we are a young team.

We are still, mathematically, within reach of the SECE. KY will lose at least 2 more. Unfortunately, we'll lose that many too.

BN needs to appoint an assistant coach to ST duties. Today. Like every other team in the SEC. Don't wait for SC to hand us our a$$es and embarrass us.

After the season, BN needs to consider hiring an OC (and letting him run it) and replacing the two-headed OL coach scheme with a single coach who can also RECRUIT. BN needs to continue to sell the brand, develop the recruiting system, and develop the player experience. He can concentrate on team unity, toughness, accountability, etc. Let the OC and DC do their jobs with their assistants.

I like BN. I think he can be a very successful and long-term CEO at UF. But, sorry BN, you don't have what it takes to do that and also be hands-on during gameday. There are too many moving parts in today's game. They don't let Generals hang at the front lines for a reason.
jdh, I think there's too much ground to make up. Unfortunately, BN just doesn't have it on the field. Sometimes, yes. Too often, no. Tennessee played us in a way that allowed our run game to shine. Nobody else will and Billy apparently isn't that adept at scheming.

As to us being young, that's true. But if the team isn't "brought up right" and the systems are poor or bad habits developed, it will not make enough of a difference to let the FR grow into JRs/SRs. Wish it were different but Napier is a decent organizer and recruiter- thanks to UF being such an incredible place- but he likely doesn't have what it takes to achieve a higher level.

Re our scheme and OC, I don't see the guy doing much on the sideline. I think we have an OC, whoever he's assigned play calling duties, but the plays and options in the playbook seem to be inadequate. How many times have we seen third or fourth and short up the middle for little or no gain? These guys come across as amateurs.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We beat UT because Milton is not an elite QB. His WR's were basically open all day long, and he didn't get the ball to them. He was like AR last aeason. He over threw, under threw or, just plain didn't see them open.

Tennessee made everyone think our defense was elite, and it is not even close to elite. Kentucky destroyed Armstrong yesterday. Any offense with a pulse will move the ball. Sorry.
We did it against UT. Why not UK?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We beat UT because Milton is not an elite QB. His WR's were basically open all day long, and he didn't get the ball to them. He was like AR last aeason. He over threw, under threw or, just plain didn't see them open.

Tennessee made everyone think our defense was elite, and it is not even close to elite. Kentucky destroyed Armstrong yesterday. Any offense with a pulse will move the ball. Sorry.
Yes, our collective team made Kentucky and Stoops look elite yesterday. How will this game look in retrospect when Kentucky finishes with four or five losses? Even if they somehow win the East, it only shows how far back we are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator