Bits & Pieces: Florida vs Missouri

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As an old John Wayne movie buff, the heart-breaking if not really unsurprising conclusion of our Gators’ 33-31 last second loss to Missouri brought to mind the ending of “Big Jake” and a line uttered by villain John Fain (Richard Boone) to Big Jake McCandles (John Wayne) where upon he told him “You came close, Mister, but no cigar!” I can’t tell you how that line resonated for several hours until sleep finally overtook. Ironically, in the movie, Big Jake got the last laugh as Fain and his band of outlaws were killed, Big Jake’s kidnapped grandson rescued, and he and his other two sons rode for home as heroes once again. Sadly in Columbia, Billy and Co. were no metaphors for Big Jake and the rest of the McCandles and our “movie” ended abruptly with the “Close, but no Cigar” Field Goal with 5 seconds remaining. The loss leaves us spinning at 5-6, more questions still than answers, and a remaining home game with the undefeated Noles of F$U and the chance of finishing 6-6 with guaranteed bowl eligibility. Good gosh, how our once expected standards have fallen!

Billy has been widely panned by our fans and much of the media for his coaching foibles and the deficiencies that are and continue to be on display weekly, and deservedly so. Last night, in cruel fashion, we played well enough in spurts to take the lead with 01:36 remaining in the game. Still a lot of time left for the Tigers with a timeout in their pocket. But the defense found something and held Mizzou on three downs and forced a timeout at 4th and 17. Could this be the turning point that Billy, his staff, the players, and the fans, as skeptical and cynical as we have become, had been looking for? NO! NO CIGAR! Bracketed by not two, but by four Gator DBs, one in front, one behind, and two on either side, QB Brady Cook launched a strike to top receiver Luther Burden, who made the catch, without contest from any of the four nearby DBs mind you, beyond the sticks. First Down! The rest became our all too familiar history of late. Hope was vanquished yet again. And the final sight that sticks was of the pudgy Tiger Kicker waddling off of the field, doing the Chomp in a most mocking fashion.

To add to our misery, QB Graham Mertz, who in my opinion has been a bright spot and defied the wails of many when he was the best that Billy could bring to Gainesville from the portal, was lost for the remainder of the game (and maybe the season, haven’t heard an injury report yet). Mertz showed a lot of heart by getting behind his pads to convert a third down as the pocket collapsed, but banging up his collar bone and exiting to the locker room in the process. Thrown into the fray, Max Brown, looked shakey in spots, fumbling once that led to a Tiger score and struggling on a couple of mesh points on run plays that disrupted the timing, one critically on the last FG drive that led to Etienne going out of bounds and preserving a Mizzou time out that they would use to set up the 4th and 17 conversion that led to the winning FG. But Brown steadied enough to throw a couple of nice completions and run for two first downs. At this stage, his legs are better than his arm. And I really thought that on our last drive that even though Billy was following the cook book and playing for the go-ahead FG with the clock winding down, I couldn’t help but feel like our defense, despite playing better in spurts, would have a better chance with less time left (if possible) and maybe a lead larger than the margin a FG would provide. Thus, my hope was that instead of the final three handoffs to Etienne, at some point in the sequence, Brown would at least pull it once and maybe find a crease and the opportunity to convert a first down and take us well inside a minute remaining AND cause Mizzou to use that final timeout that ultimately helped them. Or heck, maybe even score a TD? But safety was the plan. And it almost worked. Almost.

Instead, we find ourself in another movie metaphorically speaking. It’s “Ground Hog Day” yet again and this miserable loop continues. Hope, even if just a glimmer, is still hanging around though, as the Seminoles will be without their QB and leader Jordan Travis, who suffered a terrible ankle injury and will surely miss our regular season matchup in the Swamp. Their defense is pretty stout, however, and if we’re without Mertz and our weak OL plays at what is their consistent season level, the odds even at home will not be in our favor. Likewise with the Defense, again even though they played well in spurts, still gave up 500 total yds, 261 rushing and 239 passing, and folded on the final drive to surrender the lead and the game and gave up the aforementioned 4th and 17. “Abysmal“ has been used to describe that unit, and it is unfortunately accurate. Seeing Burden make the uncontested conversion catch amid our four defenders, who seemingly waited on somebody else to step up and make a play, was truly abysmal. Ground Hog Day…again.

Maybe we find enough next week to make a game of it. We’re at home, last chance to avoid a losing regular season record (even though 6-6 is well below Gator standards) and guarantee a bowl, and Lord knows we need the practice, though I feel like it needs to be maybe more focused than what we’ve been doing up to this point so far! But all of this might be a moot point. By this I mean that Billy has a couple of critical jobs to do between the conclusion of this season and the next: first, he’s got to knock it out of the park in the portal, especially where OL, LBs, and DL are concerned. Hell, let’s extend that to include a couple of seasoned DBs; and second, he’s got to find a way to keep his recruiting class from leaking at best or disintegrating at worst. Finding a way against F$U might be critical in regard to number two. Sadly at this point, it likely will take an odds-defying performance and that has not been our forte! But there’s still a game, so there’s still a chance. I’ve got my cigar on standby, just in case. Go Gators! Dammit! Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
As an old John Wayne movie buff, the heart-breaking if not really unsurprising conclusion of our Gators’ 33-31 last second loss to Missouri brought to mind the conclusion of “Big Jake” and a line uttered by villain John Fain (Richard Boone) to Big Jake McCandles (John Wayne) where upon he told him “You came close, Mister, but no cigar!” I can’t tell you how that line resonated for several hours until sleep finally overtook. Ironically, in the movie, Big Jake got the last laugh as Fain and his band of outlaws were killed, Big Jake’s kidnapped grandson rescued, and he and his other two sons rode for home as heroes once again. Sadly in Columbia, Billy and Co. we’re no metaphors for Big Jake and the rest of the McCandles and our “movie” ended abruptly with the “Close, but no Cigar” Field Goal with 5 seconds remaining. The loss leaves us spinning at 5-6, more questions still than answers, and a remaining home game with the undefeated Noles of F$U and the chance of finishing 6-6 with guaranteed bowl eligibility. Good gosh, how our once expected standards have fallen!

Billy has been widely panned by our fans and much of the media for his coaching foibles and the deficiencies that are and continue to be on display weekly, and deservedly so. Last night, in cruel fashion, we played well enough in spurts to take the lead with 01:36 remaining in the game. Still a lot of time left for the Tigers with a timeout in their pocket. But the defense found something and held Mizzou on three downs and forced a timeout at 4th and 17. Could this be the turning point that Billy, his staff, the players, and the fans, as skeptical and cynical as we have become, had been looking for? NO! NO CIGAR! Bracketed by not two, but by four Gator DBs, one in front, one behind, and two on either side, QB Brady Cook launched a strike to top receiver Luther Burden, who made the catch, without contest from any of the four nearby DBs mind you, beyond the sticks. First Down! The rest became our all to familiar history of late. Hope was vanquished yet again. And the final sight that sticks was of the pudgy Tiger Kicker waddling off of the field, doing the Chomp in a most mocking fashion.

To add to our misery, QB Graham Mertz, who in my opinion has been a bright spot and defied the wails of many when he was the best that Billy could bring to Gainesville from the portal, was lost for the remainder of the game (and maybe the season, haven’t heard an injury report yet). Mertz showed a lot of heart by getting behind his pads to convert a third down as the pocket collapsed, but banging up his collar bone and exiting to the locker room in the process. Thrown into the fray, Max Brown, looked shakey in spots, fumbling once that led to a Tiger score and struggling on a couple of mesh points on run plays that disrupted the timing, one critically on the last FG drive that led to Etienne going out of bounds and preserving a Mizzou time out that they would use to set up the 4th and 17 conversion that led to the winning FG. But Brown steadied enough to throw a couple of nice completions and run for two first downs. At this stage, his legs are better than his arm. And I really thought that on our last drive that even though Billy was following the cook book and playing for the go-ahead FG with the clock winding down, I couldn’t help but feel like our defense, despite playing better in spurts, would have a better chance with less time left (if possible) and maybe a lead larger than the margin a FG would provide. Thus, my hope was that instead of the final three handoffs to Etienne, at some point in the sequence, Brown would at least pull it once and maybe find a crease and the opportunity to convert a first down and take us well inside a minute remaining AND cause Mizzou to use that final timeout that ultimately helped them. Or heck, maybe even score a TD? But safety was the plan. And it almost worked. Almost.

Instead, we find ourself in another movie metaphorically speaking. It’s “Ground Hog Day” yet again and this miserable loop continues. Hope, even if just a glimmer, is still hanging around though, as the Seminoles will be without their QB and leader Jordan Travis, who suffered a terrible ankle injury and will surely miss our regular season matchup in the Swamp. Their defense is pretty stout, however, and if we’re without Mertz and our weak OL plays at what is their consistent season level, the odds even at home will not be in our favor. Likewise with the Defense, again even though they played well in spurts, still gave up 500 total yds, 261 rushing and 239 passing, and folded on the final drive to surrender the lead and the game and gave up the aforementioned 4th and 17. “Abysmal“ has been used to describe that unit, and it is unfortunately accurate. Seeing Burden make the uncontested conversion catch amid our four defenders, who seemingly waited on somebody else to step up and make a play, was truly abysmal. Ground Hog Day…again.

Maybe we find enough next week to make a game of it. We’re at home, last chance to avoid a losing regular season record (even though 6-6 is well below Gator standards) and guarantee a bowl, and Lord knows we need the practice, though I feel like it needs to be maybe more focused than what we’ve been doing up to this point so far! But all of this might be a moot point. By this I mean that Billy has a couple of critical jobs to do between the conclusion of this season and the next: first, he’s got to knock it out of the park in the portal, especially where OL, LBs, and DL are concerned. Hell, let’s extend that to include a couple of seasoned DBs; and second, he’s got to find a way to keep his recruiting class from leaking at best or disintegrating at worst. Finding a way against F$U might be critical in regard to number two. Sadly at this point, it likely will take an odds-defying performance and that has not been our forte! But there’s still a game, so there’s still a chance. I’ve got my cigar on standby, just in case. Go Gators! Dammit! Go Gators!

Another outstanding summary of less than stellar subject matter, Cover!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
"He has to knock it out of the park in the portal, especially where OL, LBs, and DL are concerned. Hell, let’s extend that to include a couple of seasoned DBs; and second, he’s got to find a way to keep his recruiting class from leaking at best or disintegrating at worst."

BN and staff need to be spending ALL their time between now and the ESD/Portal window evaluating, calling, threatening,bribing,begging, pleading, extorting and paying off recruits.
Ox prostitutes too.
Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

Last edited:

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
As an old John Wayne movie buff, the heart-breaking if not really unsurprising conclusion of our Gators’ 33-31 last second loss to Missouri brought to mind the conclusion of “Big Jake” and a line uttered by villain John Fain (Richard Boone) to Big Jake McCandles (John Wayne) where upon he told him “You came close, Mister, but no cigar!” I can’t tell you how that line resonated for several hours until sleep finally overtook. Ironically, in the movie, Big Jake got the last laugh as Fain and his band of outlaws were killed, Big Jake’s kidnapped grandson rescued, and he and his other two sons rode for home as heroes once again. Sadly in Columbia, Billy and Co. we’re no metaphors for Big Jake and the rest of the McCandles and our “movie” ended abruptly with the “Close, but no Cigar” Field Goal with 5 seconds remaining. The loss leaves us spinning at 5-6, more questions still than answers, and a remaining home game with the undefeated Noles of F$U and the chance of finishing 6-6 with guaranteed bowl eligibility. Good gosh, how our once expected standards have fallen!

Billy has been widely panned by our fans and much of the media for his coaching foibles and the deficiencies that are and continue to be on display weekly, and deservedly so. Last night, in cruel fashion, we played well enough in spurts to take the lead with 01:36 remaining in the game. Still a lot of time left for the Tigers with a timeout in their pocket. But the defense found something and held Mizzou on three downs and forced a timeout at 4th and 17. Could this be the turning point that Billy, his staff, the players, and the fans, as skeptical and cynical as we have become, had been looking for? NO! NO CIGAR! Bracketed by not two, but by four Gator DBs, one in front, one behind, and two on either side, QB Brady Cook launched a strike to top receiver Luther Burden, who made the catch, without contest from any of the four nearby DBs mind you, beyond the sticks. First Down! The rest became our all to familiar history of late. Hope was vanquished yet again. And the final sight that sticks was of the pudgy Tiger Kicker waddling off of the field, doing the Chomp in a most mocking fashion.

Great read Cover! Sadly a lot of Gator fans see it the same way. We keep hoping for this team and coaching staff to find that switch that turns the light on. Not sure they are capable. Only time will tell. Go Gators!

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Thanks Cover. Good stuff.
Hard one to take.
Just hard to believe actually.
Probably one of the top 5 hardest losses I've watched since 1982.
This one is right up there with Auburn and Frank Sanders, back in 1994.
Or perhaps Warrick Dunn in 1993.

Still shaking my head this morning, still unbelievable.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks Cover. Good stuff.
Hard one to take.
Just hard to believe actually.
Probably one of the top 5 hardest losses I've watched since 1982.
This one is right up there with Auburn and Frank Sanders, back in 1994.
Or perhaps Warrick Dunn in 1993.

Still shaking my head this morning, still unbelievable.
Oh shut the hell up. Every week it’s “the worst loss ever”.

Everyone’s disappointed but that is straight hyperbole

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Two plays with the opportunity to coach up your guys and make a difference.

Play number one: Its 3rd and 11 on our last series. Mizzou has called a timeout so we have the chance to talk about our 3rd down play and get everyone on the same page. You have 2 options really, you can simply play it safe and burn as much clock as possible (understandable with a backup QB in the game and the 3 points fairly well assured), OR you can try to get a first down, which would surely entail a pass or a qb run or something besides a simple running play. Utter coaching failure ensues as we opt to do NEITHER! A simple running play, again...after a timeout...almost turns into disaster before ETN even gets the ball as he and Brown aren't on the same page. Then, ETN, with zero chance to get the first down, runs out of bounds and gifts Mizzou a timeout. Womp womp.

Play number two: 4th and 17. Mizzou uses the gift timeout to regroup and get their team on the same page so they can execute what turns out to be the game winning play, while we use the timeout to basically make sure nobody in our secondary knows WTF they are supposed to do.

Yes, if you look at the wasted timeout as a simple math problem, it didn't make a difference. But its more than simple math, because forcing Mizzou to run back to the line after an incompletion on 3rd down and simply call a 4th and 17 play in the huddle and hope nobody screws up or freaks out is a completely different deal than taking a few minutes to hash it all out before snapping the ball on the penultimate play of the game. But even before that play, when you get the ball with 90 seconds left on your own 25 yard line, having that timeout available is a huge difference maker in the type plays you can call, or for example the patience a qb can have in the pocket with the knowledge that a sack isn't necessarily a death blow to your chances.

I honestly can't remember being so damn angry at the end of a football game. Maybe the last time was when we gave up that last second touchdown pass to the clowns all those years ago. I know we have a bunch of very young guys playing everywhere so some discombobulation is to be expected. But this is a friggin circus. I want our coaches to get everybody on the same page and its been two years and I haven't seen it yet.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Gotta say groundhog day sums it up. After 24 games with the same numbing results what we see is exactly what it is! We are a poorly coached football team. Actions don't lie and the results won't change, We need to know if Ben Sasse believes championship level football is important to his mission. If so, the sit down at seasons end will not be pleasant for the AD, the HC and this entire staff. It's time to move to the next chapter Ben Sasse. Define the mission to the masses as it is not clear that football is a priority mission anymore.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
We’ll get year 3 of Billy, amigo. Next year should be very interesting if we don’t make any progress. Can’t keep excusing away ineptitude with “youth”

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
As always Cover spot on. I to wonder why Brown didn't try to pull at least one of them on the last drive. He had been giving them fits with it on the previous drive, so I wonder if that was Billy telling him not to get cute and just run the play. I thought Billy was an analytics guy and if you have 1:30 left, they have 3 time outs, an explosive O and a kicker that can hit from 60 you would think he would have been more aggressive trying to get another first down to leave no time left.

As for Mertz that guy came to play this year and was truly one of the bright spots. I think he comes back next year, but if not he should be remembered very fondly as he may have been our second best QB since Tebow behind Trask. If he had just an ounce of pass protection and a D to back him up this year.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Two plays with the opportunity to coach up your guys and make a difference.

Play number one: Its 3rd and 11 on our last series. Mizzou has called a timeout so we have the chance to talk about our 3rd down play and get everyone on the same page. You have 2 options really, you can simply play it safe and burn as much clock as possible (understandable with a backup QB in the game and the 3 points fairly well assured), OR you can try to get a first down, which would surely entail a pass or a qb run or something besides a simple running play. Utter coaching failure ensues as we opt to do NEITHER! A simple running play, again...after a timeout...almost turns into disaster before ETN even gets the ball as he and Brown aren't on the same page. Then, ETN, with zero chance to get the first down, runs out of bounds and gifts Mizzou a timeout. Womp womp.

Play number two: 4th and 17. Mizzou uses the gift timeout to regroup and get their team on the same page so they can execute what turns out to be the game winning play, while we use the timeout to basically make sure nobody in our secondary knows WTF they are supposed to do.

Yes, if you look at the wasted timeout as a simple math problem, it didn't make a difference. But its more than simple math, because forcing Mizzou to run back to the line after an incompletion on 3rd down and simply call a 4th and 17 play in the huddle and hope nobody screws up or freaks out is a completely different deal than taking a few minutes to hash it all out before snapping the ball on the penultimate play of the game. But even before that play, when you get the ball with 90 seconds left on your own 25 yard line, having that timeout available is a huge difference maker in the type plays you can call, or for example the patience a qb can have in the pocket with the knowledge that a sack isn't necessarily a death blow to your chances.

I honestly can't remember being so damn angry at the end of a football game. Maybe the last time was when we gave up that last second touchdown pass to the clowns all those years ago. I know we have a bunch of very young guys playing everywhere so some discombobulation is to be expected. But this is a friggin circus. I want our coaches to get everybody on the same page and its been two years and I haven't seen it yet.
Spot on, brother. My feelings to a tee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator